Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

CR-X One design foilboard - NeilPryde

Forum for kitesurfers
crx_user
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Toronto and area, Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Toronto and area, Ontario
Gear: Shinn twintip, roughwave surf, crx foil; Cabrinha drifter, switchblade 9, 11,12.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CR-X One design foilboard - NeilPryde

Postby crx_user » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:42 pm

I got a new - never used complete CRX foil board, complete with aluminum foil.

Pro:
- reasonably light because the board is a thin twintip
- cheap
- you also have a twintip setup option

Con:
- thin twintip has no flotation, hard to learn on it because it sinks if you put pressure on back foot
- inconvenient to setup twintip board from foil setup - prefer dedicated board - so I never used the twintip setup
- front wing cracked after 4 months of use, and there is barely few scratches on the wing(see picture)

I had a Liquid Force foil setup, which I sold to get this faster one. That was much easier to ride.
CRX_crack.jpg
close_cracks.jpg
Last edited by crx_user on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: CR-X One design foilboard - kiteboarding

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I saw one at the beach the twintip has a lot of flex so probably very bouncy when you ride but I haven't tried it.. the foil looked OK. Maybe mounting this on a normal foil board would work. I believe the mast and fuselage are the same as the Cabrinha so you could swap the wings. That's probably fixable too if your handy with fiberglass and epoxy. One local guy broke his after a few runs trying to learn and they replaced it on warranty.

crx_user
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn twintip, roughwave surf, crx foil; Cabrinha drifter, switchblade 9, 11,12.

Re: CR-X One design foilboard - NeilPryde

Postby crx_user » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I asked NeilPryde and the shop and I did not received replacement as of now.
This is a carbon composite wing, repairing it with epoxy might not be the best option. Unless you wrap it around and it will be much heavier.

I heard from one guy who actually bent the exactly same mast.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:20 pm

crx_user wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm
I asked NeilPryde and the shop and I did not received replacement as of now.
This is a carbon composite wing, repairing it with epoxy might not be the best option. Unless you wrap it around and it will be much heavier.

I heard from one guy who actually bent the exactly same mast.
When was your foil kit manufactured? I've heard there was an issues with the first model/batch (wings splitting), which was fixed later on.
If you find the CRX too advanced, get a set of 2017-2018 Cabrinha Double Agent wings. They should be available as spares and shouldn't be expensive.

crx_user
Rare Poster

Postby crx_user » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks for comments.
They only manufactured it in one year, I think in the end of 2016 or begin of 2017. I can carve with foil up in air, go toe side no problem and back. To switch feet I have to touch it down for a short time.
I do not jump with it.
Now actually I noticed 2 extra small cracks.

Yes, this is likely a bad batch, but NeilPryde should exchange them, and they have not doe it so far.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:12 pm

crx_user wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 pm
Yes, this is likely a bad batch, but NeilPryde should exchange them, and they have not doe it so far.
My (uninformed) guess is that, rather than being a bad batch, they're all like that.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:27 am

My local shop tried to promote the crx racing. I thought it was a good concept as everyone has the same kit so to win you need skill. I got frustrated with the hype, it was like buying into a time share and finally after lots of questions (I was supposed to go to some evening launch seminar) and no online info on pricing, they revealed the price... $$$ ouch.

Sorry to diss CRX. I think it came and went pretty fast here in Australia. NP should stand by their product or refund you and all the others, that is unless, it's still running overseas?

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:35 am

crx_user wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 pm
Thanks for comments.
They only manufactured it in one year, I think in the end of 2016 or begin of 2017. I can carve with foil up in air, go toe side no problem and back. To switch feet I have to touch it down for a short time.
I do not jump with it.
Now actually I noticed 2 extra small cracks.

I double checked with my source - the splitting wings were an early prototype and the problem was supposedly fixed for bulk production.
But CRX has gone belly up and NeilPryde have pulled the support, so don't rely much on them.
If you got your CRX kit from Silent Sports, talk to them to sort you out with a set of Cabrinha foil wings 2016-2018 at cost. And if that doesn't work, message me and I'll hook you up with a friend who has a spare set of custom carbon wings fitted for CRX and working as good if not even better for a beginner/intermidiate foiler.

crx_user
Rare Poster

Postby crx_user » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm

I have not used the foil since November, and did not take it with me South - I was concerned that it breaks when I foil and could cause injury.
CRX is done, no more newer versions are coming. My understanding is that Cabrinha is bought by NeilPryde group, but I could be wrong.
Warranty info on NeilPryde site for wings was 1 year, they should honor that, even if they discontinue it. I got a decent price(maybe this was cost price for NP to get rid of it...) - that is why I bought it, but If I had known that I have to get an other Cabrinha foil wing - then I would have gone with Happy Foil from LF.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

crx_user wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm
I have not used the foil since November, and did not take it with me South - I was concerned that it breaks when I foil and could cause injury.
CRX is done, no more newer versions are coming. My understanding is that Cabrinha is bought by NeilPryde group, but I could be wrong.
Warranty info on NeilPryde site for wings was 1 year, they should honor that, even if they discontinue it. I got a decent price(maybe this was cost price for NP to get rid of it...) - that is why I bought it, but If I had known that I have to get an other Cabrinha foil wing - then I would have gone with Happy Foil from LF.
It's the other way around the Neil Pryde Group owns Cabrinha. The Neil Pryde Group is owned by a Hong Kong investor. They own many brands besides Cabrinha like JP Windsurf gear and NPX etc..

Return to “Kitesurfing”