Ram air caught in surf disaster

Forum for kitesurfers
Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Ram air caught in surf disaster

Postby Pump me up » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 am

Ok, ok, it's a paraglider, but the principles are the same: Ram airs SUCK in the surf! After his canopy went down, he was too tied-up to free himself or save his flying sleeping bag. Check-out how his friends are struggling to drag the waterlogged bag.

Ram air kites are fundamentally unsafe in the surf. Once they get waterlogged or rolled in a wave - usually just a matter of time - they become unrelaunchable death-traps.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are inferior compared to inflatables.

Happy new year!

:pump: ...... Pumpy

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram air caught in surf disaster

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:02 am

Ok I’ll bite......

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 am

Pump me up wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFrtdIKqMuw

Ok, ok, it's a paraglider, but the principles are the same: Ram airs SUCK in the surf! After his canopy went down, he was too tied-up to free himself or save his flying sleeping bag. Check-out how his friends are struggling to drag the waterlogged bag.

Ram air kites are fundamentally unsafe in the surf. Once they get waterlogged or rolled in a wave - usually just a matter of time - they become unrelaunchable death-traps.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are inferior compared to inflatables.

Happy new year!

:pump: ...... Pumpy
For sure that looks like a dangerous situation. But is anyone really saying they are safe in the waves? Even ozone says on their site don’t take them in the waves...

https://ozonekites.com/products/land-sn ... chrono-v3/

“The kite is water re-launchable, but we recommend that you keep it flying and out of the water if possible! A drainage system on the wing tip allows any water that may have entered the kite to drain out. Do not use the kite in waves.”

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:06 am

Thanx again for your diligence, the lives saved are a testament to your self sacrificing love of fellow man. :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:24 am

Kiting is a dangerous sport. Best bet is to stay home and park your butt on the sofa. :rollgrin:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:41 am

I was feeling like 2019 was off to a bad start. Wasn't sure what was missing. Now I know. I just needed to hear from PMU. I had forgotten how dangerous and inferior RAM air kites are. Thanks, Pumpy. I feel much better now. :-?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 am

Hahaha,

Lets do a motorised version of this.

Here's a video of a motorcross bike in the surf,,,,, that proves that jet ski's are no good in the surf......

hahahahahahahahahahah
heheheheheheheh
hohohohohohohoh

Its called an argument from ignorance.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:52 am

On the other hand, sometimes they are problematic, although in this case mostly operator mis-judgements. This happened on Friday along Bloubergstrand. The wind was persistently SW, directly onshore, as it often is when the SEaster is not in force. There were a few kiters on the beach, some trying to ride 12m alongshore, while others sat and waited for a possible late afternoon SEaster, which had already started at my flat in Milnerton. This was at Dolphin beach, where I was chatting with a Swiss couple who had just arrived and were somewhat disappointed that the much vaunted SEaster was not there (I correctly promised them the next day, yesterday, would be a good one, as will today and the next two, woohoo!).

Eventually around 6PM, another Swiss guy, tall with long black hair, Oscar by name, set up a green 13m Ozone foil kite and a strapless Slingshot foil board and Hoverglide foil and launches, with a little help from me. The waves are small, so after body-dragging through them he gets going fine headed north to Bloubergstrand proper. He's obviously a very capable foil kiter in both regards (I've only tried a foil kite once, and found it very difficult, sort of like the old C-kites with limited depower and only a narrow sweet zone, and I struggle to foil strapless). Then he gybes and heads south past us towards Sunset Beach, all the time heading considerably upwind and out into the bay. I mention to the Swiss couple that he should not go too far, either upwind out to sea or further south, as he will run into the beginnings of the SEaster, and where these two wind patterns clash there is often little or no wind for a while as they compete to see which will win out. Sure enough, he is suddenly clearly struggling to keep the kite flying and eventually drops it, recovers it, drops it, recovers it, drops it, recovers it, and finally down for the count. The Swiss couple are concerned, so once I pack up my kite, giving up on the SEaster coming through strongly enough for my 9m, I promise to check in on him.

Down at Sunset beach, I find him still swimming in his kite, his board already lolling in the small waves on shore. So I go down, help him drag the sodden kite out of the water, and slowly drain it by the tiny flaps on the wingtips, and help him sort the messed up lines. Eventually we get it to fly again and he flies it back and forth on the beach as the gentle SEaster comes through. I encourage him to do that a bit more to dry the kite and I'll give him a lift back to Dolphin beach, but he can feel the SEaster and wants to ride it back downwind. I warn him that when the SEaster is that weak, as he goes downwind he will encounter the opposite problem, the same clash with the SWester somewhere between Sunset and Dolphin. But he is adamant and I wish him luck and not too long a walk, encouraging him to gybe his way downwind just beyond the breaking waves. But you know what it is like, once you get going you don't want to stop, so he heads out and way too far offshore for my liking, and in a couple hundred yards, without even doing one gybe, he is back in the water. It was near sunset now, so I walked down the beach to watch him slowly swim his kite back in, commiserated with him, and left him to drain it and walk the remaining halfway back to Dolphin beach. It doesn't look that far, but I bet he was exhausted from carrying a large wet kite and foilboard all that way, and surely it was long after dark before he got to his car.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:42 am

Pretends to be an expert at foil kites but doesn’t know the difference between a open and closed cell foil. :roll: :roll: :roll:

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:35 pm

Nice to see a video posted a decade ago ffs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”