Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Please help me plan for a road-trip in Western Australia

Postby Sgallian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am

Hello, and my best windy wishes to all for this coming year!!

It's in projecting phase for now (plane tickets booked but not paid, waiting for vacation agreement), but we (couple with 2 kids, 6 and 2 years old) are looking into a 9-10 days road-trip along the coast of Western Australia, from Perth to Exmouth, and back...

So the goal is to spend some time with the kids and provide them (and ourselves for the 1st time) with a motorhome vacation experience, and when possible park on the coast where one of us could go kitesurfing while the other looks after the kids near the spot...
THAT would be the ideal picture. But I guess there are not so many places along the WA coast with these features.
Another thing: if there were a kiteschool nearby, that would be great: wife is independant, but would certainly need some supervision.
And, kite spots would ideally be not too choppy, and shark-free (well, don't mind the black tips kind, but if we could avoid areas where Great White, bull of tiger sharks are spotted, I guess it would be for the best)

So, do you know of any place that would fill these criteria?
Done a bit of homework, and came up with the following road-map:
WA-RoadMap.png
Stops at:
- Lancelin
- Dongara
- Coronation Beach
- Shark Bay Peninsula
- Sandy bay

I have to admit I have be greatly inspired (okay, copied) by the info on this link:
http://www.inmotionkitesurfing.com/2014 ... spot-guide

If would be 9 days of travel (need 4 days in Perth to visit and acclimate I guess), and unfortunately, it appears that it has to be a round-trip from/to Perth, as one-way hire fees are so damn high. Does it seem possible, with enough time for us to enjoy each stop for 2 days?
Do you think we would need a motorhome with shower + toilet, or do you know of caravan parks right on the spots?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Although it's been said that Exmouth is not too be missed, it looks like it will be too far away and too hot in Mid-March...
Was under the impression that South of Perth offered only sharky waves kitespots, but now if you could point me to some good shallow kitespots good for beginners (for the wife: I like waves myself, but not a big fan of the men in grey suit either), I'm all ears if this can be found in the south.

Motorhome has already been booked for 12 days in mid-March, and so are accommodations in Perth, but no fixed route yet, thinking of going South first maybe and then North to catch end of Seabreeze season, or maybe the other way around depending on forecasts...

Big thank you to those who already have me some pointers, can't have enough of them though ;)
Last edited by Sgallian on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Please help me plan for a road-trip in Western Australia (Perth - Exmouth)

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:54 am

buy wikicamps australia $6 in app store

Usually very very windy and very very hot and big waves. Flat spots too though. It is desert like. Epic but be prepared. Enjoy. its a big drive!

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Sgallian wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am
If would be 9 days of travel (need 4 days in Perth to visit and acclimate I guess), and unfortunately, it appears that it has to be a round-trip from/to Perth, as one-way hire fees are so damn high. Does it seem possible, with enough time for us to enjoy each stop for 2 days?
You have 6 stops and want to enjoy each one for 2 days? According to my math, that makes 12 days at least + driving... Also, you, will need way more time for the driving because you stop for food, you get tired, etc. etc. So it's not 16h of driving but probably more like 25h-30h at least.

To me, your route feels rushed. We did a very similar route last year and it took us 15 days to really enjoy it. We could've stayed longer easily. There are so many good spots out there and too much to see. you don't want to miss it.

Either you add more days or if you can't, my advice would be to skip Lancelin (I think this spot is overrated) and Dongara.
Sgallian wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am
Do you think we would need a motorhome with shower + toilet, or do you know of caravan parks right on the spots?
Well... it depends on what you want. I would go with shower + toilet because it gives you a lot of freedom. In the cape range national parks, there are some great camping spots next to the sea that do not have showers. Coronation Beach also does not have showers.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 pm

cor wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:41 pm
Well... it depends on what you want. I would go with shower + toilet because it gives you a lot of freedom. In the cape range national parks, there are some great camping spots next to the sea that do not have showers. Coronation Beach also does not have showers.
Hello @cor, thank you very much for this bit of info, really helpfull, that is what I was hopping to get from here.

Also, yeah, 5 stops in fact, and yes, it does feel rushed now that you mention it... The bad part is that it would be a round-trip, so double the hours...
We thought we would just take a look at some spots on the way up and skip them if there's no wind, to maybe come back to them on the way down: in essence, that's also the reason why a campingcar seems the way to go...

So yeah, maybe just hit and run Lancelin and Dongara or be less ambitious and turn back once we reach the Shark Bay Area... That would be less kms in total, and with 2 kids, the less road time, the better.

So what do you you think of Exmouth area - Cape range National park? Is it worth the extra miles?

Any info on local kite-schools greatly appreciated too!

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Sgallian wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 pm
So what do you you think of Exmouth area - Cape range National park? Is it worth the extra miles?
Yes. Cape Range National park is definitely a highlight in my opinion. There are many good kitespots there with both flat water and waves. Awesome scenery. I wouldn't miss it. Yeah, I would rather skip or hit and run Lancelin and Dongara and head straight to shark bay, spend some days there and after that to Cape Range. Maybe do Coronation on your way back to Perth then.
Sgallian wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 pm
Any info on local kite-schools greatly appreciated too!
Why not spend the first few days in Perth near Safety Bay and take a few lessons there? It will be more difficult to find a kite school later... not impossible, but it's all very secluded.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:10 pm

OK thanks, added 1 day to the trip (11 days total):
was planing 4 days in Perth to accomodate a 4 hours jet-lag before hitting the road, but I guess we will definitely need as much time as possible along the coast.

Cape Range National Park it is then. Maybe a good option is to drive a lot on the way up, and just stop to have a feel of the different sites, and then decide according to the weather and remaining on the length of stops on the way back. After all, that's the beauty of such trip: not really knowing where and where we'll stop.

She does not need lessons anymore (well, maybe a refresher), but she's not that confident in going out alone on the water... I could keep an eye on her from the beach, but will have to take care of the kids... Hence the need for "supervision". Maybe locals can be helpfull in this matter too?

Thanks anyway.

Will welcome any other tips about good kite and/or motorhome spots...

Tightlines
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tightlines » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:55 pm

When are you going, what month?
Shark Bay & Exmouth and Cape Range National Park areas are magic but it is a long drive, I definitely wouldn't be hanging around in Perth for 4 days.

touch107fm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Australia
Gear: Duotone dice

Postby touch107fm » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi

Just my take on your trip..
I would ditch shark bay if If I was doing your trip. I have been to all of the places mentioned in your list. WIth 9 to 10 days I think you will be pushing it and doing lots of travel. I just got back from Exmouth National park (Stay in Osprey - vital you book in advance) stayed there for 3 days it was kiting bliss. With 2 kids its not going to easy and if you are trying to fit in too much it will exhausting. Just my take.
We drove back from Exmouth to Perth in one day (wont do that again). Hit a roo on the way home :(
If you are in Perth for 4 days, I would recommend kite school action sports in Pinaroo point, nice crew teaching there. Ask for Wendy.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for your thoughts,
Yeah I forgot to write that it will be in mid March (hopping for an extended season of Seabreeze).
We decided to stay only for 2 days in Perth, so 12 days of road trip...
Anyway, got the feeling that Exmooth is not too be missed, so we will surely ditch some stops or just stay there a few hours.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 pm

touch107fm wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 pm
I just got back from Exmouth National park (Stay in Osprey - vital you book in advance) stayed there for 3 days it was kiting bliss.
Isn't Osprey a Hotel?
We booked a motorhome so hopefully we'll stay near the shore on some caravan park. Do we need to book these in advance also?

Return to “Kitesurfing”