Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

DIY Split kitesurf

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Hey y'all I've been getting pretty obsessed lately with trying to beat the airlines in my travels while traveling with sporting equipment I don't mind paying some but I what you pay these days for sporting equipment and to have no guarantees at all that they're gona at least treat it with kindness is not only absolutely absurd but unacceptable. I usually travel with kite(s), bar and pump and either rent a TT or surfboard when I get to my destination or when traveling within the US I ship my TT ahead of time to a UPS store and have them hold it for me a day or so.

But now that I've been exclusively riding strapless surf I've been thinking about working on my own split surf I've been really unfortunate finding any resources online but found a video (below) which somewhat illustrates a decent process, I just have no idea how to make or where to get those carbon cylinders, and I've seen some seriously amazing jaw-dropping DIY stuff coming out this forum I thought I'd ask for some guidance.

Was thinking of purchasing an older 5'4" to experiment on. My goal would be to fit it with 1 kite and a minimalistic bar in a checked in bag size.

Let's brainstorm? ... Any ideas or Suggestions? where to begin looking for materials, etc... ? or simply constructive criticism :thumb:

The idea would be to open source this mod so that anyone willing can make it happen.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/_4-cLRqAtpc[/youtube]

Thanks in advance.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Re: DIY Split kitesurf

Postby windrider1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Just wondering what happened to the splitboard market. There used to be a few brands a few years ago but they all seemed to have disappeared and Nobile seems to be he only brand left in North America but their prices a way on the high side for me, whatever happened to the RRD fifty fifty which seemed like a good board for a decent price but for some reason was discontinued . I doubt tht interest in splitboards is not there but probally the prices are just not worth it for most people.

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm

split boards here too https://www.kitelementshop.com

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 am

Yeah my buddy's board got destroyed this summer in a trip to Cabarete, it was so bad and careless it almost seems deliberate. I do wonder how come this market isn't bigger, let's face it they can't all be tona pops (v1) was/is my traveling board cause is it so ridiculous bomb-proof (no affiliation whatsoever BTW).

What I can't believe is there isn't many more ppl out there modding these, I've spent countless hrs looking for a write-up or something on how to make one.

I was looking at a Newind (I think is the name, the Italian guys) but darn they're so pricey I'm sure they're worth it but way out of my price range, looks pretty dope though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”