Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Krypto?

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Krypto?

Postby Faxie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:55 pm

zloilyoha wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:12 pm
did i understood it right that Bill Hansen worked for a SS in 2015 and now for a Switchkites?
You read wrong. Bill worked for numerous brands (as stated above), and made a trainerkite for SS years ago. He was with Switch since the beginning (2011 I think) and left last year. The Legacy 2, Element 5, Helium 2 and Nitro 6 were his last designs at Switch. He is now with Slingshot.

Switch now 'buys' models from different manufacturers. The Element V6 is basically an Ikon Peak, the Krypto is an Ikon Blind and the Helium is a Storm Voyager. I can't see much difference between the Peak3 and Element6, but the Krypto has a different bridle, so it has been developed further. Maybe the same for the Helium (although I read it flaps when depowered... gotta love that F-One DNA, lol)

Who knows... maybe the original Krypto design (the 3 strut one) will be released by some other brand at one point. Looking at all the current Krypto video's out there, I can't really say I'm impressed with the kiteloop performance. Seems really sluggish to go back to 12 after the loop... other than that, it seems to do the job just fine.

Ikon is run by 3 people, one of them being the ex Airush designer, Benoit Menetrier.

Switch never stated that the kites are rebranded Ikon's and Storm's btw. But it's very clear if you compare them.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks, that explains things perfectly.

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro

Postby Donniehall14 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:13 pm

swimmer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm
Both the Krypto and RPM are very freestyle/wakestyle/unhooking capable kites though they will feel and perform differently. RPM's profile is much more open while Krypto's is basically a C (bridled or can be ridden 5 line C). Since the wing tips on the Krypto are deeper, kiteloops on the should feel proper and more exciting than on the RPM.
RPM, FX and Dice will have better low end due to their more open profile and less weight per size since they are all 3 struts.
The shape reminds of the older bridled Chaos and C4...probably performs similar to those kites.

I tried Switch's previous model C kite, the Legacy, and it had excellent relaunch, boost and hang-time. Legacy's downfall was it turned/looped super slow.
Watching Marc Jacobs videos loop the Krypto the turning speed is significantly better. Hoping to get a 10m at some point this year... looks like a sweet kite from switch
Let us know how it goes. Great post.

Return to “Kitesurfing”