Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fast wave hydrofoiling.

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 am
From what i get out of this discussion is that there are very few people going out in this stuff and current surf designs are catering to smaller slower waves. So we have a knowledge gap of what equipment to use and actually how to ride waves.
Agree about not many people going out in this stuff. And those who do, most are probably aiming to do significantly different riding style than you. Meaning most of this discussion is pointless, as we're all just talking about our own personal experiences in isolation,but thinking we have some common denominator. ;-)

Regarding surf foils, there's a wide variation in designs aimed at specific needs. Consider that performance surfers will have numerous boards for varied conditions, a sup for tiny waves, longboard for small clean, fish for small mush, shortboard for everyday decent surf, then a big wave gun for the xl days. Just as in surfing, you will not get big wave performance on your fish, I suspect you may be expecting a bit much for your single do-everything design. A subaru station wagon is a great all round vehicle but it won't win a formula 1 race nor the Baja1000.

This is a helpful comparison chart for surf foils across brands: http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/let ... hydrofoil/
But you'll note top speed is 18-20 mph and none are rated as for high speed. As you say ... the market is mainly aimed at slow waves. (probably because in faster waves, most surfers will surf!)

This page expands the discussion to include kite oriented foils, trading speed for lift
http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/201 ... ical-uses/

As an example, slingshot's h3 wing is described as specifically designed for tow-in surfing (and in looking this up, see it's on sale for $99 at mackite....there's a cheap experiment for you maybe http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-sli ... e-h3-wing/ )

For performance of foil wings in larger surf I think you'll find better answers in the surf foil community than kite foil. In particular those who focus on tow-in surf foiling. That seems the closest to what you're trying to do (though also rare) -- youtube searches, forums, etc, may uncover some tips. EG Kai Lenny and a handful of others have posted session videos attempting to foil bigger waves.
Great comments and links Juan,

You are right. One foil will not do everything. I have a number of ideas from this thread for wings that ill think about making for testing.

We have 3 discussion going on here.

1) Techniques on how to ride fast waves.
2) Idea's on how to adjust your current kit to work better in fast waves.
3) The ideal kit to use for fast waves.

I like the idea of talking to the tow in wave foilers who ever they are. I'll see if i can search some down on the interweb.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.

Postby plummet » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm

OK,

Here's my plan. I'll take your guys advice and try as many foils as I can. That is difficult as There's only one other at my local that foils. But where and whenever I can I'll ride some foils.

I won't be buying any production foil because I make my own gear. I'll keep making until I have a profile that I like.

I'm planning on buying a 3d printer for other reasons. I'll print a variety of wing cores, laminate them and try them out. I'm interested in trying fatter wing profiles to slow acceleration, and more anhedral and winglets to increase carving stability on the wave face....

Ooh interesting times.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 pm

heh, interesting indeed, the adventure continues.

In the gear exploration phase, I find that borrowing/demo doesn't work very well, as you can't learn the in's and out's of the gear in one or two tries. For me at least, I don't really know how something works until I've got comfortable with it, then seen how it performs on both the best and worst of days. In the first try, you may just confirm it doesn't ride like ol' reliable. As well, you probably aren't trying it on the specific day/conditions you are trying to test.

So ... the most effective way I've found to demo a bunch of different gear is to buy it as cheap used as you can find, try it enough times to know it, then pass it on at what you paid or a little less for the "rental". Best of all is head to head comparisons on the same day ... controls for most of the variables, for a true test. I find this method doesn't end up costing too much, as long as you are careful about buying decent deals. And also that you actually pass them on when done, don't become the gear hoarder. I had three 17m kites at one time, though only briefly. But I don't want to talk about how many surf foil wings I have right now ... ;-)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Plummet, wish I had the time to make wings. Ive been experimenting with 3D printer at work, thinking of getting a creality cr10s5 with 500*500*500 build volume. But experiments telling me that it's better to get a cnc.
How about getting a mast and fuselage, then just making wings you can screw on and adjust the AoA with shims?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:32 pm
Plummet, wish I had the time to make wings. Ive been experimenting with 3D printer at work, thinking of getting a creality cr10s5 with 500*500*500 build volume. But experiments telling me that it's better to get a cnc.
How about getting a mast and fuselage, then just making wings you can screw on and adjust the AoA with shims?
I'll be real interested in know about your 3d printing journey Tom. I already have a mast/fuse that I can bolt wings on and adjust with shims. So all I need now is to make some wings. 500x500x500 is pretty big! that might be worth the extra money so you don't have to tab and slot so many sections.

Side note. I wonder about 3d printing and entire mast/fuse core.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:04 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 pm
heh, interesting indeed, the adventure continues.

In the gear exploration phase, I find that borrowing/demo doesn't work very well, as you can't learn the in's and out's of the gear in one or two tries. For me at least, I don't really know how something works until I've got comfortable with it, then seen how it performs on both the best and worst of days. In the first try, you may just confirm it doesn't ride like ol' reliable. As well, you probably aren't trying it on the specific day/conditions you are trying to test.

So ... the most effective way I've found to demo a bunch of different gear is to buy it as cheap used as you can find, try it enough times to know it, then pass it on at what you paid or a little less for the "rental". Best of all is head to head comparisons on the same day ... controls for most of the variables, for a true test. I find this method doesn't end up costing too much, as long as you are careful about buying decent deals. And also that you actually pass them on when done, don't become the gear hoarder. I had three 17m kites at one time, though only briefly. But I don't want to talk about how many surf foil wings I have right now ... ;-)

I'm not too bad at jumping on a board/foil riding it for an hour or so and know what I like and don't like. But the buying and selling of second hand gear for extending testing is a worthy method. But my money is tied up elsewhere right now. So that option is out for me.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:35 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 pm
TomW wrote:
I'll be real interested in know about your 3d printing journey Tom. I already have a mast/fuse that I can bolt wings on and adjust with shims. So all I need now is to make some wings. 500x500x500 is pretty big! that might be worth the extra money so you don't have to tab and slot so many sections.

With the creality printer, you can print a wing core in 3 parts. I printed one in 5 parts in smaller printer, and some jigs to help me glue the parts together. I did that and then stopped. You'll need to glue em together by using some carbon rods, bars,tubes. Then you'll need to laminate over them. There's an issue with the laminate attaching to the pla, but I believe that the rough surface of the pla will give enough mechanical attachment. There might be some treatment you can do to the pla before lamination. That will require some experimenting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:35 pm
plummet wrote:
TomW wrote:

With the creality printer, you can print a wing core in 3 parts. I printed one in 5 parts in smaller printer, and some jigs to help me glue the parts together. I did that and then stopped. You'll need to glue em together by using some carbon rods, bars,tubes. Then you'll need to laminate over them. There's an issue with the laminate attaching to the pla, but I believe that the rough surface of the pla will give enough mechanical attachment. There might be some treatment you can do to the pla before lamination. That will require some experimenting.

Did you tab and slot the wings in so they slotted into themselves?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm
TomW wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:35 pm
plummet wrote:

Did you tab and slot the wings in so they slotted into themselves?
No I didn't, because I printed them self-supporting

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:28 pm

plummet wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:31 am
Not sure about the speed i'm going. I don't have gps.

Below is the wave in question. Thats not the day but gives you and idea of the size and wind angel

Had another session on this wave on the weekend. Slightly smaller, sea was cleaner and wind was around 25-30 knots. So it was an intense session but not stupid crazy wind or swell. Maybe 1.5 head sets coming through with smaller ones in between.
I haven't changed by wings or managed to try any other foil boards in the last 6 months. Truth be told I've been mountain biking primarily. With the occasional foil session thrown in.

Any way. I was in way more control this time. Think the wind speed and wave speed was just a little less which meant I wasn't tapped out when I turned down the line and combined wave and kite power. I was within my limit and could easily ride the wave. I also took my place in the line up of 3 sb kiters out there and zoomed back and forth catching waves like a sb rider would. Ok I'm not doing hard cutbacks and bottom turns like an SB. But I am on the wave face riding the monster and having a blast.

It was the kind of session I envisaged before I started foiling. Its taken me a long time to get to this point. But it does feel cool to be riding the foil board like a normal board. Not having to worry about venting wings and stupid painful smackdowns. Just ride.

Return to “Hydrofoil”