Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil, Worth it for me?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am

I would add that hydrofoil is a mariage and familly saver ... :thumb: Ok, a bit provocative but not so much sincerely :

Indeed since I am hydrofoiling, as said above my frequency of sessions (in my light wind area) has doubled or trippled, and knowing that now I can ride with less wind, I can better benefit from familly-free time to ride (less dependant of high wind probabilities conjunction) and as a consequence better accept to loose some other potential "good winded Twin type" session if one familly activity is planned instead ...); => less frustrations and more decontraction in the familly moments or holidays.

So, with a bit of arguing talents, you could even present this investment as a global familly investment :allbegood:
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm) • DukeSilver (Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:41 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Dude, I teach a lot during the summer so even though I'm >in< the water a lot, chances of getting >on< the water are sometimes limited. The foil has saved the last windless summer for me. You suddenly look different on the 10kt days - that often coincide with you being off.

Just go for something easy to learn on and to ride - such as Cabrinha HiRise, Moses 633 etc. Survive first few sessions of getting bashed a bit but as soon as you'll get it, this will change your life forever ;)
These users thanked the author Jake-Skymonster for the post:
Kiterisland (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 am
As others have said, foiling expands your wind range and therefore days you can kite. However if you are constrained due to work/family commitments and spreading your 20 yearly sessions over TT/foil it will be very hard to progress.

You might want to allow for an intensive month where you go as often as you can. Get some lessons and a real good learner set up. Then you might break through.
But if foil occasionally you wont get good enough to progress to the next stage before you regress back through lack of practice.

Foiling really does require a lot of practice to get to average to shitty foiler.
I agree I would have to change my mindset for a while from easy twin tip session to going back to beginner stages and learning hydrofoil. I could commit to anything under 20kts I'm on the foil. I had a sector directional for a while and the problem was I only ever wanted to ride it in 8-13kts but over that I said, ah screw it I'm grabbing my twin tip, so I never got all that good on it.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:22 am
Slappy. ...I have a sprinter van...no need for assembly. ;-)
My new HF wing is so big I can't actually fit it through the front door of my apartment when assembled :(

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:15 pm

didn't even read your post, the answer is yes ;-)

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 pm

what everyone else said and foiling will make you a better more confident kiter in all diciplines. Any tricks or transitions you learn on a foil will seem so much easier for you on TT or surfboard not to mention precision kite control since you will find the true limits of your kites.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:38 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 pm
what everyone else said and foiling will make you a better more confident kiter in all diciplines. Any tricks or transitions you learn on a foil will seem so much easier for you on TT or surfboard not to mention precision kite control since you will find the true limits of your kites.
Good point ... I have discovered some cool flying techniques foiling that have helped me with surfboard wave riding. As well, for some reason strapless foiling seems to have helped with "light footedness" ... feeling a good connection with the surfboard when moving feel around and shifting weight. All in all, I am firm vote for "yes, you should try foiling" ... shocker! :naughty: :lol: :cool2:

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks again everyone for your input. So now I am pricing out which foil to get. What would be the best option for a first foil. I'm 100kg and only really looking at learning on it but then enjoying it for years to come in 8-max20 kts.

Slingshot foil complete with the 76 infinity wing for $790USD

The new moses 633 wing set up with their aluminium mast (comes out it may apparently..?) for $900usd

Let me know what you think...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

I'd almost say go for the slingshot setup just because you can get the flight school masts to make learning trivial. Dunno if moses also sells a half-size aluminum mast, but if they do i highly recommend budgeting for that because it makes things so much easier (and less dangerous) to get started.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Yes that Moses setup sounds good to start with. It’s not going to hold up for years though. They are not the most durable of foils.

Return to “Hydrofoil”