BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Pivot

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Hello Pivot riders,

I am looking at buying a 2019 pivot 9m, but am not so keen on the really long throw on the Naish bar. Anyone fly a smaller pivot (9m and 7m) on a different bar with a shorter throw ? I have a naish torch bar and am looking at converting it, the torch bar has around 32cm depower throw on the centre line, where as the pivot bar is around 55cm.

I guess using a shorter throw will limit the amount of "fast power dump" you can do, but I like riding quite powered up.

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Re: Naish Pivot

Postby flyingfishza » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:20 pm

I ride 2018 pivots, also did not like the bar it came with, couldn’t get used to btb trim.
I changed to a cabrina bar which I modified a bit and ended up with quite a short throw, honestly I hardly noticed the difference, I do however ride surf so alwaysa bit more underpowered than over.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:49 pm

If you stay with Naish bars, on the Torque ATB bar you can move the clam cleat up and down and adjust the throw to your preference. On the BTB you could either adjust the fixed stopper or add the movable stopper.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:09 pm
Hello Pivot riders,

I am looking at buying a 2019 pivot 9m, but am not so keen on the really long throw on the Naish bar. Anyone fly a smaller pivot (9m and 7m) on a different bar with a shorter throw ? I have a naish torch bar and am looking at converting it, the torch bar has around 32cm depower throw on the centre line, where as the pivot bar is around 55cm.

I guess using a shorter throw will limit the amount of "fast power dump" you can do, but I like riding quite powered up.
You can adjust the bar throw. All bars comes with a semi movable stopper so you can choose how much throw you want.

Edit: ...ehh like Dirk is saying. He made a better point than me.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:31 am

Yeah Love my pivots.

I mostly foil but also snowkite. Have a quiver of pivots and have a BTB naish bar. Also use a slider loop and North/Duotone bar. I prefer the north/duotone bar the most. The high Y configuration makes the kites much more stable, forgiving and predictable. Like you said if you like riding powered up the North/duotone bar keeps the throw short an sweet and adjustable on the fly. If its nuking a bit and dont want to drop below a 7m I'll use the Naish bar for the extra throw. The only complaint I have with the naish bar is i've seen more chaffing and line wear from foiling and not unwinding the bar immediately coming out of the turns. The north bar doesn't allow this.

Ergonomically speaking both of these bars are exceptional and dont destroy your hands like a slingy bar will.

If your a self lander with a north high y. The secret is land always to the right and eject on touch down. Much much much safer then traditional methods of reaching out and pulling a middle line as it will self land

The north/duotone bars are universal for all kites. knots and loops for any configurations however the lines are controversial as to if they last I do like the lines on the naish better then the north lines but as long as your not chaffing or wearing the north lines they seem to hold up better then the premature line wear i'm starting to see from not unwinding the bar immediately with the naish bar.

After many many years of all kinds of different bars I would say these are the top 2 out there. Any bars that use that motorcycle grip like slingy does will eat your hands in one session. I also much more prefer a clam cleat rather then any bar with straps or options for power depower often found on other brands with much more adjustablity on the clam cleat bars.

above or below doesnt matter as much however the above the bar certainly gives you much more leverage to adjust faster but at a 100$ or more for this feature is not worth the additonal cost if paying full price in my opinion. If on sale i'd certainly pick the above the bar or north bar each time.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 am

The ATB has an adjustable throw so you can fit it to your liking.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:27 am

I use an old Best Redline bar on my Pivots. Works well, plenty of throw (perhaps too much for you) and depower, and above the bar cleat which I really like. I've now replaced every piece of it except the bar and ends, as they all eventually wore out, even the chicken loop (I should have noticed the wear).
Attachments
IMG_5992 (1).JPG
IMG_5992 (1).JPG (187.94 KiB) Viewed 4117 times

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Craz Z wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:31 am
Yeah Love my pivots.

I mostly foil but also snowkite. Have a quiver of pivots and have a BTB naish bar. Also use a slider loop and North/Duotone bar. I prefer the north/duotone bar the most. The high Y configuration makes the kites much more stable, forgiving and predictable. Like you said if you like riding powered up the North/duotone bar keeps the throw short an sweet and adjustable on the fly. If its nuking a bit and dont want to drop below a 7m I'll use the Naish bar for the extra throw. The only complaint I have with the naish bar is i've seen more chaffing and line wear from foiling and not unwinding the bar immediately coming out of the turns. The north bar doesn't allow this.

Hey Craz, I'm also using a duotone clickbar with the Pivots (just bought a 2019 9m!) but was told to remove the Y connector so the front lines are 'open'.
You prefer a higher split point? And which point do you use as there are multiple options..

I still use my 2015 naish bar with 20m lines in waves from time to time but the clickbar rules!

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm

CrazZ - I'm surprised to hear the Pivot flys well with a high "Y" bar like the north or Torch bar. The pivot is quite a flat kite and key different to the Torch or Vegas.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Hugh2 wrote: Hey Craz, I'm also using a duotone clickbar with the Pivots (just bought a 2019 9m!) but was told to remove the Y connector so the front lines are 'open'.
You prefer a higher split point? And which point do you use as there are multiple options..

I still use my 2015 naish bar with 20m lines in waves from time to time but the clickbar rules!
Um I didnt know the split point was variable up or down. So stock mode? So did you pull the safety line Red centerline out of the spinaker to lower the v closer to the bar like a regular bar? Seems less tidy but can certainly be done. I'm running the trust bar not the clicker but there isn't much difference between the 2. I definitely prefer the North bar with the rope slider chicken loop its awesome! You should just put the line back through the spinaker and see if the high Y works or doesnt only takes a few minutes to try. I feel like taking it out would cause lots of adjustment to get the center lines adjusted correctly.The spinaker keeps the center lines even and slacks the safety just a bit. A knot stops the safety from going any further. I know the lines are adjustable for stretch they actually get shorter when wearing but still if they get out of whack there is some adjustment i think without the spinaker being involved this might happen a bit more often and keeping your safety loaded instead of limp. If i ran it in this mode I would check my lines very frequently so the centers stay centered.
BillyGoatGruff wrote: CrazZ - I'm surprised to hear the Pivot flys well with a high "Y" bar like the north or Torch bar. The pivot is quite a flat kite and key different to the Torch or Vegas.
Yeah I really like it it firms up the kite and really doesnt change it a extreme amount really seems to me like it tightens up the canopy and is less sloppy if that makes sense lots less flutter in the canopy and holds its shape a bit better in really gusty winds. The kite still turns the same an behaves the same as the naish bar just firmer and tighter I believe it puts a bit more feel/feedback in the bar as well to know where the kite is at. The rope slider brings it in even closer and is sweet for foiling.

The iron heart is adjustable up and down for throw you can choose to put it low and do adjustments on the clamcleat or throw it way out and increase bar throw. it also has a line brake to adjust the throw without adjusting the Iron heart. this is for the quad bar i think the clicker bar has a bar throw brake on the thermoformed center line. line adjustments are done on the click end of things.

Im running the north bar on the pivots 7m,9m,12m and even a 14m works great!

The pivot I would throw out there to be more like a NEO, possibly a rallyish, Its a really awesome kite that is quick and stable and doesn't pull. It just waits for inputs which is very unique compared to other kites i've tried. I think the torch and vegas are more c driven which is alot different I tried a slash and hated it even for foiling. Would love to try a boxer I think (but have no clue) they are a pivot minus the 2 extra struts.

The north bar clicker and trust were designed with in mind to use on any kite thus the ends reflect that. Most (not all) kites are knots to the steer and larks to the centers the bar allows for any kite that opposites this it has a knot loop for either lark or knot hookup.

The bar is also width adjustable literally on the fly sitting in the water you can lengthen it or shorten it based on the kite size you chose. Also lines are adjustable from the bar but should be done on the ground all awesome features.

I think the 2 cons alot of people dont like are the lines. The other is self landing the kite with a high Y

If you land to the right and pull safety it will land itself in a much safer manner then reaching out and grabbing a center line.

On a normal self land like a naishbar or slingy you botch that up and you know it can go super bad quick as if the slack wraps the bar you maybe without a safety and get yanked into a death loop. This happened on a way older kite on completely different brand and not only hurt me a bit but wrecked the kite in the process. you can also practice this procedure on a naish bar using the safety to land rather then reaching to land. It does take a little getting used too but works everytime.

There are a lot of kiters that maybe never punch out they wont like it either. I punch out every landing cause im on a rope slider and prior to that i was on a hook lock (nothing worse then a donkey dick coming out when you least expect it.) I also solo kite most of the time and self rescue if the winds are nuking to aide in kite wear on a land landing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”