Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm

I'm sorry to break in to this thread, but the Ozone hyperlink 9m UL is a superb freeride foil in downwind and waves. Works fantastic with surf wings and 10-18 knots. The bridels are short, the kite is super stable and agile with 2 finger control. I have over 90 hours on mine in one season.
Only based on my reading of soul feedback, and observations of others using Soul, it is more powerful and Tt +hydrofoil kite.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 pm

omg wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 am
Can you loop say 12m (depowered) that there is not much pull like LEIs do, or does Soul have strong pull all the time during a loop?

Basically what I am after here is that on many strapless surfboard grabbed tricks you need to loop the kite at the end/landing of the trick and if there’s heck of a pull from the kite when looping it, it makes life much harder. I don’t think many too many ppl are thinking abt pure wave riding with Soul sizes above 6m or so.

Thanks!
It depends on the position of the depower. Generally with foil kites if you depower the loop is wider, the kite flies fast through the powerzone and the pull is hard. If you tune the bar to over sheet a little you can get a gutless turn around a point inside the wingtip. If you over sheet more, you can get a propeller turn.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm

TomW wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm
I'm sorry to break in to this thread, but the Ozone hyperlink 9m UL is a superb freeride foil in downwind and waves. Works fantastic with surf wings and 10-18 knots. The bridels are short, the kite is super stable and agile with 2 finger control. I have over 90 hours on mine in one season.
Only based on my reading of soul feedback, and observations of others using Soul, it is more powerful and Tt +hydrofoil kite.
Yes I am also having a great time with Hyperlink for downwind swell riding on my Cruizer wing. Even more so with the 7 and 5. I also have a quiver of one struts but prefer the foil kites unless there is a likelyhoood of putting it away in wet sand. The foils are so much lighter there is no comparison even to a 1 strut. I compare the 7 hyperlink to a 9 ultra in power, With a kilogram less in mass and the ability to do revolution style propeller turns.

Many complaints are getting pulled too hard during a loop. It may be that the kite is simply too big? The 12m Soul on shorter lines seems to be quite popular with the hydrofoil big air guys here and they do go fast and high. My last FS kites were speed 4 lotus and I really didn’t go bigger than the 8 on my big wing foil. I would be quite surprised if a 6 or 8 soul on medium to long lines did not satisfy on a wave wing in light air.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm
TomW wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes I am also having a great time with Hyperlink for downwind swell riding on my Cruizer wing. Even more so with the 7 and 5. I also have a quiver of one struts but prefer the foil kites unless there is a likelyhoood of putting it away in wet sand. The foils are so much lighter there is no comparison even to a 1 strut. I compare the 7 hyperlink to a 9 ultra in power, With a kilogram less in mass and the ability to do revolution style propeller turns.

Many complaints are getting pulled too hard during a loop. It may be that the kite is simply too big? The 12m Soul on shorter lines seems to be quite popular with the hydrofoil big air guys here and they do go fast and high. My last FS kites were speed 4 lotus and I really didn’t go bigger than the 8 on my big wing foil. I would be quite surprised if a 6 or 8 soul on medium to long lines did not satisfy on a wave wing in light air.
define "shorter" lines?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 pm

12-16m ( e.g. 12+4 extensions) I would guess. Those guys are flying Soul 12 when I am on Hyperlink 5 or 7. They are boosting high with straps on a high aspect wing. I am strapless on a big wing and 24+ meter lines.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm

I'd like to clarify.
I'm on 9m Hyperlink UL and 7m Hyperlink regular on 20 m lines. There's plenty of overlapping on those sizes. I'm strapless on big wing. Not jumping.
The Soul seems more of a Tt and jumping kite than Hyperlink. More power. I've not ridden one, so take that into consideration, but it totally appears the Soul is not same kind of kite as Hyperlink.
It's a beautiful looking kite and appears to behave really nice, inflate and launch easily, predictably and looks fantastic in flight.
But if you're looking for drift, wave riding, shorter bridels easier to handle on the ground, the hyperlink seems better.
Again, don't go ballistic on me, I'm only observing and reading about Soul + my own Hyperlink experience.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Well, a question; what would you choose for marginal wind kite as I believe you need the power and there’s a limit in the amount of power which kites generate. I understand if you ride soul 12m in 10-15 knots then it’s not abt lightwind anymore but more abt boosting, however, for 6-8 knots the story might be different plus pretty much every kite will be slow in those winds?

Also,in my case, I need a kite for snowkiting as well, and on snow the only fun thing is jumping, I’ve been riding too long to get kick out of anything else on snow.

In a perfect world, I’d have 25knots steady wind, nice waves and be only riding strapless sb :o

Btw, a friend of mine uses his soul 6m for wave riding, go figure! :wink:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm

omg wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:25 pm
Well, a question; what would you choose for marginal wind kite as I believe you need the power and there’s a limit in the amount of power which kites generate. I understand if you ride soul 12m in 10-15 knots then it’s not abt lightwind anymore but more abt boosting, however, for 6-8 knots the story might be different plus pretty much every kite will be slow in those winds?

Also,in my case, I need a kite for snowkiting as well, and on snow the only fun thing is jumping, I’ve been riding too long to get kick out of anything else on snow.

In a perfect world, I’d have 25knots steady wind, nice waves and be only riding strapless sb :o

15 or 18m Soul on extensions! Sonic 2, 18m. Sonic 2 15 I find will fall out of the sky in the 6 to 7 range if you have lulls.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 am

omg wrote:

Hi, in 6-8 knots im rolling out my used Sonic 2 13m. The hyperlink 9m ul is not going to get me up and going. ( 10 knots- is good). And im not going to be drifting or riding any swell in that either unless the swell is cross wind.
I´ve asked this question in another thread- exactly same question really- what foil kite works best in 6-8 with big hydrofoil wing, that is as fast and agile as can be.
Ive looked at other 12m kites like Soul - but my friend who is competent foil flyer has dropped his Soul 12 in conditions i have no problems on Sonic 2 13m ( same session he swam, I kited, and i am not super proficient with Sonic 2) , so im skeptical.
Hyperlink UL 12 is according to experts not really LW kite.
Heard Chronos 3 UL 13 would be nice, but too costly to buy without testing ( difficult/impossible to get test).
Other kites like Concept air seem to get good review- but a niche brand. cant test.
Sticking with the Sonic 2 13m for the time being...

Let us know what you find!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

TomW wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 am
omg wrote:

Ive looked at other 12m kites like Soul - but my friend who is competent foil flyer has dropped his Soul 12 in conditions i have no problems on Sonic 2 13m ( same session he swam, I kited, and i am not super proficient with Sonic 2) , so im skeptical. ...
This is interesting, because Soul is quite a bit lighter than Sonic (Soul 12 is even lighter than the 11 Sonic), and also has more depth in the profile, so I would assume it's more tolerant to change in wind, and also read that the internal pressure seems very good with Soul, but perhaps there's more to low winds stability than these factors?

Return to “Foil Kites”