Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby matthepp » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Back-to-back great days this weekend. Saturday was steady light wind in knee deep untracked powder at Lizard head with Mickey and Anthony. Heavy lines at the lifts in Telluride meanwhile we had LH all to ourselves. Sunday, unbelievably, was even better above treeline on RMP with Lorne and Parker. Lit up on the big kite with a foot of perfect coverage everywhere. We were glad to get it while it was good as the sensors are showing high winds today stripping it back off. Thanks gang for a great outing!
DJI_0019.JPG
DJI_0013.JPG
20190120_134441.jpg
20190120_135937.jpg
20190120_143815.jpg

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:42 am
.....Found out something else I would never have suspected, a 173cm snowboard the longest I've been able to find is not enough to keep me on top of 4'+ of pure powder......
Skyline here in UT does not get deep powder like that very often, but I have had a few sessions cruising around at a good speed with the powder above my knees no matter how hard I pressure the tail of the board. Any time I stopped, the snow surface was above my waist with the board still on. Take the board off, and you are looking up at the hole you just made in the snow's surface. I doubt snowshoes would have done anything. Thank goodness for launching in the parking lot, or those sessions would have been a no-go.

Good thing about Skyline is that the next day is usually much firmer after a huge powder dump. The best thing about Skyline is that most of the time, 30" snowshoes are long enough for my 100+kg (I hate to carry my 36"ers on my back) to be a safe backup way out.

Still feel for ya!......But anytime you don't die, you should just look back and laugh, with a healthy dose of avoidance of getting into that mess again. And thanks for the story.

PDCK
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.

Postby PDCK » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:55 am

Yea, Lizard was fun on Saturday. Good to see you guys there.
Couldn t make it to BigMac on Sunday, skiing greens with wifey.
Plan was to ride MiraMauï today, but blizzard hit us pretty good with 50+mph gust, and then rain.
Looks like good N and new snow tomorrow Tuesday at Lizard.
A92DB4E9-F1F7-4EFB-A0AA-BFCA1A9D48ED.jpeg

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Going for the Grand Mesa Today anybody want to help me launch my new beast! Winds look perfect, but it will be cold. :thumb:

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:53 pm

I scored a decent session at Mushroom Gulch yesterday off of the top of Trout Creek Pass so thought I'd include a couple pics. It's hard to recommend this place unless you're right next door though...winds are shifty and gusty due to the ridge lying to the west. I think most of the wind that sneaks in there is a rotor coming over the top of the hill and it is expert kiting due to the rapidly changing wind direction. Regardless, snow depth was 6"-2' and the scenery is awesome out there. Winds were 15 gusting to 25 and then almost shut off completely. Surprisingly, after leaving and going 5 minutes around the corner past Chubb Ranch, it was absolutely nuking with sustained winds at 30. Enjoy!
IMG_20190123_142554841.jpg
The walk in looking back to parking.
IMG_20190123_133416741_HDR.jpg
Launch site ahead at top of hill.
IMG_20190123_133400527.jpg
Looking to the south at all the terrain.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Captions for 1st and 3rd photos got switched somehow. Cheers

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:33 am

Hitting the Grand Mesa Sat the 26 of Jan. Meeting at lands end road around 12:00

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:06 pm

We had a wonderful Groundhog Day Kite Invasion with a record 8 kiters up to Snow Mesa last weekend, under the tutelage of Mr Snow Mesa (Scott). Big kites (even Justin!) and blue skies Saturday way up high.The snow was a little wind-affected but there were some soft pockets to chase, along with some awesome terrain up on Baldy Cinco. Lorne or course ran a wild ridgeline run that leaves me scratching my head. Thanks to Anthony we got to test-dangle from his massive Flysurfer. Sunday was rowdy so we got some survival sessions in at both Rito Hondo and Blue Mesa. Apparently we scored so much we didn't leave any left for the Superbowl, Ha! For me though, the real treat was the raging bonfire Saturday night in the Spring Creek pass parking lot trying to answer Tom's personally-passionate inter-planetary trivia questions and following JR out into the darkness for one-after-another adrenaline thrill, from log-skiddin' to high speed fatbike downhill runs under insane starlight. It was awesome to bump into Aaron (sp?) from the Front Range. We should try to do this again, either up high, or maybe a course race on Blue Mesa around the buoys and ice fishermen. Who's interested??
DJI_0028.JPG
DJI_0032.JPG
DJI_0041.JPG
DJI_0047.JPG
DJI_0052.JPG
20190202_180059.jpg
20190203_115607.jpg

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 pm

OH man, I'm jealous, those shots are sweet. I really need to hook up with some other kiters soon. Good to know Rito Hundo is working too, that's one of the easiest options for me...I'll be watching it.

Probably going to session east end of Blue Mesa on Thursday is the wind forecast stays good. Hope to see someone else out there. Of course, I could always go check out Lizard Head or equivalent soon.

Cheers, Chris

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:15 pm

NICE! Sounds like you have a good tight community that may be a much closer group than out here at Skyline. But then again, small local stuff is always the best. You guys just seem to be making it sound like you have some world class spots. Maybe you have finally convinced me to do some snowkiting in CO.

Return to “Snow / Land”