Has thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Soul

Postby queneseb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Go all on the Nov :lol: :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 am

Yeah, some of the early FS kites were a real challenge. I had a 16m Mastair. It pulled like a truck, but had a windrange of 5 mph. I recall that the Speed was the first kite with good range, it was not stable by today’s standards, but I remember that it was a big leap forward. I think the Soul is a similar leap forward, not a minor revision, but a kite that is demonstrably better than it’s predecessors.

noahsw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Long Beach
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, Belmont Shore
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby noahsw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 am

I've been loving my 6m and 10m on a ~590 equivalent (medium aspect) foil with 17m lines. I'm 70kg. If I were to go one size bigger, would you suggest 12m or 15m? I'm worried the 12m isn't enough of a jump over the 10 but that the 15m will be too much.

Maybe 15m with even shorter lines? If it matters, the place where I'd likely use this the most is super light on the beach but a bit stronger 50m offshore.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm

noahsw wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 am
I've been loving my 6m and 10m on a ~590 equivalent (medium aspect) foil with 17m lines. I'm 70kg. If I were to go one size bigger, would you suggest 12m or 15m? I'm worried the 12m isn't enough of a jump over the 10 but that the 15m will be too much.

Maybe 15m with even shorter lines? If it matters, the place where I'd likely use this the most is super light on the beach but a bit stronger 50m offshore.
hmmmm. Well, you are a light guy with a big wing. The 12m is pretty versatile if you throw another 6m of line length on it buys you a ton in light wind. I used my new 15m first time on the weekend in very marginal wind and it is a very powerful kite. If you find that you frequently want to be kiting sub 9 kts I might consider the 15m, but the 12 is more responsive and you can work it more and do very well with that bigger wing you have. I would go 12m on a 60cm bar and the option to run 27m lines.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
noahsw (Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

noahsw
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonics on Taaroa race board and Slingshot Ghosts on the Triton T1 monowing

Postby noahsw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm
noahsw wrote:

hmmmm. Well, you are a light guy with a big wing. The 12m is pretty versatile if you throw another 6m of line length on it buys you a ton in light wind. I used my new 15m first time on the weekend in very marginal wind and it is a very powerful kite. If you find that you frequently want to be kiting sub 9 kts I might consider the 15m, but the 12 is more responsive and you can work it more and do very well with that bigger wing you have. I would go 12m on a 60cm bar and the option to run 27m lines.
It's not a racing wing but I wouldn't consider it a "big" wing ;-) . I much prefer shorter line lengths. I'm at 17m now and wouldn't want to go longer. I can ride my 10m down to 10kt so this would be for those super light days.

In general, how would you compare bigger foil kite on shorter lines vs. smaller kite on longer lines? What are the trade-offs?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 am

noahsw wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 pm
cwood wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm
noahsw wrote:

It's not a racing wing but I wouldn't consider it a "big" wing ;-) . I much prefer shorter line lengths. I'm at 17m now and wouldn't want to go longer. I can ride my 10m down to 10kt so this would be for those super light days.

In general, how would you compare bigger foil kite on shorter lines vs. smaller kite on longer lines? What are the trade-offs?
All relative :-) I consider it a big wing. Issue with short lines and big kites is that when you need the power stroke in light wind, you have a very wide kite and less water clearance....works against you at the wrong time. If you can ride the 10 down to 10kts then 12 would be a good step. The 15m on short lines in light wind is recipe for swims.....significantly wider span and you won't have the loop room and less wind close to the water if you squeeze them in. If you want ultra light go 15 on long lines...gives you much more stroke to work with and greater potential for wind aloft. Options are like *ss holes....we all have them :-)

noahsw
Medium Poster

Postby noahsw » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 am

haha thanks -- i appreciate the input! i was able to ride my buddy's 15m on 14m lines today, immediately after riding my 10m on 17m lines. I could make the 10m work but there was a fair bit of looping to get going. the 15 was awesome. i felt juiced, but in control. sensor read 8-9 knots.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 pm

noahsw wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 am
haha thanks -- i appreciate the input! i was able to ride my buddy's 15m on 14m lines today, immediately after riding my 10m on 17m lines. I could make the 10m work but there was a fair bit of looping to get going. the 15 was awesome. i felt juiced, but in control. sensor read 8-9 knots.
well there ya go! always good to be able to just try it. I never go below stock 21m lines...should try it one day I guess. I have watched one of our local racers on his R1V2's go crazy short and at some point it just gets hard to even sign the kite to get enough power to get up.

I have to say after one session on the 15m I was very impressed with it (as with all my Souls) managed 35 foot plus boosts sub 10 knots...tons of power. Only thing I am missing vs Sonic2 equivalents is a bit of up wind performance (blows off tension at higher angles) and I find body dragging with direct on shore wind more efficient with the sonics.

noahsw
Medium Poster

Postby noahsw » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 pm

35 foot jumps in sub 10 knots! it's an amazing world we live in =)

yeah i would say the noticeable downside of the 14m lines is you really have to ollie up out of the water on the first downstroke to get going because the kite simply doesn't have a long path to travel through the window. but once you're up, it's amazing -- super responsive, and let's you hold down a lot of power.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:32 pm
Hello.

It is possible to damage the linecover like it happen here if the line is snapped at sharp object.
Upload a sharp picture of the line that makes it more easy to see details.
We use German Liros lines, the highes quality and best lines we can get for our demand.
For sure the SOUL is durable and performant. To replace a line is simple. To get long time durability, fabric airtightness and high breaking strengt is the cost important points. That is where we are very strong. Trimming of a SOUL is as simple and effective as it was at no foil kite before.

If anyone need direct help, he can contact us also always direct at https://flysurfer.com/repair/
We try our best to give every customer a good as possible service.

If Kristan really don't want the Soul, I am sure we will find a solution. Check with your dealer or with us direct. The 2nd Hand prices are also very high.

Greetings vom Capetown, Armin
I'm greatly impressed with flysurfer service department, quick and very professional-Thank you
I'm planning on buying a new Soul in smaller sizes 12m and 10m this year. Are there any changes for 2019 compare to 2018 in performance or colors of the canopy. Is there a new bar on the horizon for Soul?

Return to “Foil Kites”