Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kevin Langeree Makes History as he Becomes Red Bull King of the Air for the Third Time

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kevin Langeree Makes History as he Becomes Red Bull King of the Air for the Third Time

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:27 pm

kota.jpg

(Cape Town, South Africa) –The Cape Doctor rolled into Kite Beach on Wednesday, 6th February, as Kevin Langeree (NED), champion in 2014 and 2018, became Red Bull King of the Air for the third time. The world’s top riders did not disappoint and treated the 9,000-plus spectators to the highest level of big air kiteboarding. Langeree’s final combination left the result without question, although Jesse Richman (USA) and Liam Whaley (ESP) put up a valiant fight.

“This feels amazing! I put so much time into training and getting ready for the contest and coming out on top is just magical as there was a lot of pressure on me as defending champ,” said Langeree. “Jesse and Liam were on fire and went big. I had to pull everything out of the bag. But yeah, I did it again… my third win. I couldn’t be happier!”

The action started on Thursday, 31st January, as near perfect wind and swell provided strong conditions for the world’s top kiteboarders to take to the skies. A major upset saw two-time winner Aaron Hadlow (UK) crash out in round two and unable to continue after a rib injury. South African hopefuls Joshua Emanuel and Ross-Dillon Player exited the competition in round 4.

Today, as day two of the action resumed, only six of the eighteen athletes remained - battling it out in the last two rounds of competition: Lasse Walker (NED), Liam Whaley, Jesse Richman, Nick Jacobsen (DEN), Aurelian Petreau (FRA) and Kevin Langeree.

“The action today was mind blowing,” said Head Judge, Alex Vliege . “You can see that this is the best big air event of the year – every single athlete has been training for this event and it shows in the combinations they’re executing. They’re innovating their tricks and combos year-on-year, evolving the sport.”

The Mystic ‘Most Extreme Move’ award went to Jesse Richman for his powered ‘kung fu 1080 handlepass’ on the first day and he took home the $1000 prize purse for the award.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 3):
kitelife (Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 am) • stefarius (Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 am) • cglazier (Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kevin Langeree Makes History as he Becomes Red Bull King of the Air for the Third Time

Postby stefarius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 am

Great Picture, congrats to Kevin

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Kevin Langeree Makes History as he Becomes Red Bull King of the Air for the Third Time

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am

Strictly hooked 😂

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am
Strictly hooked 😂
I thought he was pretty boring to watch, but he got the height and the landings. Congratulations anyway.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Interesting that line lenght he used ? I think at least 22m, as in this picture possible see really ling distance to the kite from Kevin.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 pm

a99 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:28 pm
Interesting that line lenght he used ? I think at least 22m, as in this picture possible see really ling distance to the kite from Kevin.
I think here he talks about it; viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2401871

Should be 25+ at least

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes, i saw this video, anyway they just refined joking about line lenghts. Nick said 30 meters what is really not thrue, Jessy 48 meters, what is also pure joke.
In those moments (where is most important information for all their folowers and kite lovers) you see this clear open rich Western mentality in style "catch me if you can (poor other world)". Seems as regrettable.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:12 pm

I think he uses stock Naish bars, so it is either 20m or 24m. I would assume it is 24m.

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Hero..

But Jesse is the best allrounder IMHO..

and Liam needs to get back to Cabrinha if he wants more height.. :lol:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm

stefarius wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 am
Great Picture, congrats to Kevin
What I notice about these pictures is that they are generally taken from a height well above the water level, so that they actually visually minimize the height of the jump. Any pictures taken from water level?

Return to “Kitesurfing”