Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Whats happening with King of the Air?

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Have I missed it? is it waiting for wind or what?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Whats happening with King of the Air?

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 pm

All updates here:

viewtopic.php?t=2401377

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Its over. Kevin won apparently. Red Bull did a ton of marketing for the first day and dropped the ball on the finals. Meh.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 pm

There’s something not quite right about RB KOTA. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s lacking something in terms of entertainment value to match the effort and skills of the riders.

Is it the format, same old location, same rider winning (I’m a big fan Kevin), or the split over a week? Not sure. It just felt a bit flat and boring this year. West coast of Ireland this weekend would jazz up a bit. Maybe add a bit of course racing to the jumping....I’m probably on my own on this but needed to share.
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post (total 2):
Mr_Magic (Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 pm) • juandesooka (Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:45 am

apollo4000 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 pm
There’s something not quite right about RB KOTA. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s lacking something in terms of entertainment value to match the effort and skills of the riders.

Is it the format, same old location, same rider winning (I’m a big fan Kevin), or the split over a week? Not sure. It just felt a bit flat and boring this year. West coast of Ireland this weekend would jazz up a bit. Maybe add a bit of course racing to the jumping....I’m probably on my own on this but needed to share.
Maybe we are desensitized by the prolific sensationalism that is constantly available on social media.

Certainly something pretty darn stupid has to be thrown down for people to notice.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 am

Big bay made for better scenery and camera angles. The kgb at the end looked like not much due to camera angle. Generally a bunch of kevins jumps looked boring, they were just higher on average. I found jesse more entertaining even if he was all over the place. Aurelien also gave something refreshing and different to the event. Unlike some years though, i cant say they gave the prize to the wrong man.
Kevin really can jump higher and more consistently than just about everyone else.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 am

Firstly, they should just have camera's at the water line - why they film all the action from up on the parking lot goes beyond me, the jumps look way less impressive than they really are.

Secondly, I think they should organize a second, smaller, very last minute event, called "Man of the moon" or something. Waiting period: all season long. Green light for the competition to take place: 40+ knots, 3-4 meter waves, +/- 15s wave period. These conditions only happen a handful of times max per season, the decision for "GO" would have to be taken very last minute, and riders would have to be in CT all season long, but those are the real conditions that will seperate the boys from the men. I was lucky enough to be on the water 2 seasons ago on a day like that, but couldn't hold my 7, so had to come off the water and watch the Core Pro Team killing it on 8 & 9's instead. Now that was a show - I would like to see the pro's go head to head in those conditions.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:29 am

"Firstly, they should just have camera's at the water line"

absolutely, especially if the judges are using the cameras too... check out marc jacobs insta and the heights of his jumps coming in from teh beach perspective... tells more of the truth - huuuge

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

Strekke: I don’t want to see anyone die!
Freeride is different than competing...

Don’t forget the sun talking about filming!
If they film from water level they need to film into the sky...being a west facing beach and action starts after midday, the sun is right there!

Didn’t people already complain about the quality of the light? Guess how much they will complain then !

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

Strekke wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 am
Firstly, they should just have camera's at the water line - why they film all the action from up on the parking lot goes beyond me, the jumps look way less impressive than they really are.

Secondly, I think they should organize a second, smaller, very last minute event, called "Man of the moon" or something. Waiting period: all season long. Green light for the competition to take place: 40+ knots, 3-4 meter waves, +/- 15s wave period. These conditions only happen a handful of times max per season, the decision for "GO" would have to be taken very last minute, and riders would have to be in CT all season long, but those are the real conditions that will seperate the boys from the men. I was lucky enough to be on the water 2 seasons ago on a day like that, but couldn't hold my 7, so had to come off the water and watch the Core Pro Team killing it on 8 & 9's instead. Now that was a show - I would like to see the pro's go head to head in those conditions.
40+ Knots a handfull of times? Come to Holland, we had it yesterday, today and tomorrow and many more times a year!
Attachments
E7ADFCEF-809E-4C4B-9103-DC3EF1AEDA3F.png

Return to “Kitesurfing”