Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Apollo

Postby SolarSet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Juan M wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm
Hello, it's being a while since the last post...

does anyone tried the 2017 Apollo 7m?

I am interested in the performance for winds above 20 knots... thanks!
I have similar question, how would apollo compare to switchblade in size 7m? Only flown 7m Vectro before and like it. Can someone compare?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

SolarSet wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm
Juan M wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm
Hello, it's being a while since the last post...

does anyone tried the 2017 Apollo 7m?

I am interested in the performance for winds above 20 knots... thanks!
I have similar question, how would apollo compare to switchblade in size 7m? Only flown 7m Vectro before and like it. Can someone compare?
The Apollo is a much higher aspect kite than the Switchblade. Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges (or quite a bit like comparing the Ozone Edge to the Ozone Enduro). The Apollo rides faster, goes upwind better, boosts higher, and has much better hang-time than the Switchblade. On the other hand, the Apollo isn't an all-purpose kite. The Apollo doesn't perform well in unhooked tricks or wave riding. The Switchblade will re-launch better and would be a better choice for a beginner to intermediate kiter who wants to try a lot of different riding styles. But if you want a big boosting, big hang-time kite, or an LEI kite that performs fast at the edge of the window like a RAM air kite (for foilboarding or racing), the Apollo is a great kite.

I have the 2017 Apollo 7m, as well as the 9, 12 and 14. I prefer the larger sizes over the 7 m. That may have more to do with my riding style and preferences than the kites. When the wind is strong enough for the 7 m on my twintip, it's often gusty and gnarly where I ride. The 7 m is fast and responsive, loops well, boosts well, has great hang-time, and handles gusts well. You need to pump the bladders hard to help the 7 m keep its shape (very high aspect with long thin LE - it can taco if not pumped hard). You also need to fly the kite actively to keep it performing well. If you're sloppy with it in a gusty 25-30+ knots, it can fold or taco. It's not a beginner's kite.

I also think the Apollo 7m would be a great kite for foiling. It likes to be ridden fast at the edge of the window, and it will motor upwind easily. It has many of the advantages of a high aspect RAM air kite, with the added advantage (for some) of an inflated LE.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:10 am

I’ve been riding the 2017 7m Apollo in our flat water slicks on a twintip for the last few months. I’m really liking this kite for big air and gusty winds.

I figured the kite would jump well but I am surprised how wells it turns. I’m 165 lbs (75 kg) and ride the 7m from 20 mph to 40 mph. Pretty much a one kite quiver for a twintip.

Works well underpowered since you can get upwind before you have enough power to jump. Works well overpowered since it flies far into the wind window when you edge hard.

As excepted the jumps are very lofty. I like to send the kite from 11:00. I pull the bar in at takeoff to power the kite up, then push the bar out to get good float, and then pull the bar back in to get a nice soft landing.

Can be a bit tricky to relaunch due to the high aspect ratio.

The 7m worked great in yesterday’s gusty conditions.
927F74BF-9CBD-4AEC-81B8-7C0BBA58F6B4.png

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

Brilliant thanks guys for feedback, I'm not worrying to much about relaunch capabilities as I would get 7 or 8m hence use it in +25kts winds
It would interesting to know why Cabrihna killed that product it must be poor sale I guess.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am

SolarSet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am
why Cabrihna killed that product it must be poor sale I guess.
Exactly.

I used to ride Apollos 5,7,10 and 14 since they have been released.
Undoubtedly the best inflatables for my foiling style (cruising, jumping, freeracing).
It is a pity that the Apollo programme has been shut down. It could be transformed into a foilboarding mode in my mind. I don't see a proper foilboarding kite in Cab range now.

I think Cabrinha does not inspire as they used to do in the past. Even worse present management seems not to see potential of foilboarding and RAM kites.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Do you guys think that size 8m of apollo would overlap my sb 10m too much? I'm 200lbs rider and can ride my sb 10m up to 32kts hence looking for something 25-35kts range

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Solarset....the Apollo does not have a lot of "raw" power off the start, so an 8m Apollo would work well with the 10m SB.

In other news......I actually bought all of Cabrinha's remaining 2017 Apollos about a year ago and I own the vast majority of all Apollo inventory in the US.

And, right now they are all from $499 - $599. 16m and 14m are all sold out. 7m, 8m, 9m, 10m and 12m still in stock, but quantities are getting low.

That being said, the info the guys give above is pretty much stop on.

Pump small sizes super hard if you are jumping or a larger rider or it could collapse a little if pushed hard. I'm 220 lbs and jump my 10m a lot and no problems. 8m? That has collapsed on me, but it was not rock hard.

Relaunch? It's not much of a problem at all if you know how to aggressively launch it straight downwind. It has to flip over quite a bit past vertical and straight downwind and then once it get's there, let out the upper line and it will release from the water better.

I/we do ship worldwide and we've been selling a ton of these kites the past 2 months. The current pricing really helps.

Take a look here if you want to see the pricing.

I really wish Cabrinha was still making the Apollo. Those who ride them know the unique advantages.

Thanks.....

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
bob@kiteridersllc.com

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:48 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm
I really wish Cabrinha was still making the Apollo. Those who ride them know the unique advantages.....
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
bob@kiteridersllc.com
+1. Great kite.

Also, if you buy an Apollo (or any other kite equipment), I highly recommend working with Bob at Kite Riders. Great service and great prices. :thumb:

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

BraCuru wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 am
SolarSet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am
why Cabrihna killed that product it must be poor sale I guess.
Exactly.

I used to ride Apollos 5,7,10 and 14 since they have been released.
Undoubtedly the best inflatables for my foiling style (cruising, jumping, freeracing).
It is a pity that the Apollo programme has been shut down. It could be transformed into a foilboarding mode in my mind. I don't see a proper foilboarding kite in Cab range now.

I think Cabrinha does not inspire as they used to do in the past. Even worse present management seems not to see potential of foilboarding and RAM kites.
Hmm. I don't agree. Just wait 8 weeks and then see if you feel the same way. There is something new on the horizon...

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Hmm. I don't agree. Just wait 8 weeks and then see if you feel the same way. There is something new on the horizon...
Wow, finally!
And for everyone else who's not after branding and resale value, there should be still some FRX demo kites on sale ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”