Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to build a bar? Just the rod/pole item ~60cm. Anyone done it?

Postby kite_hh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm

AndersP wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:33 pm
What do you think about the new Wichard shackles?
I haven't used those, but I don't think they are suited better for our purposes.

It seems they may be, even more than the other wichards, prone to problems with sand.

Since they don't have an option to attach a line it might also get even more tricky to eject.

See this picture for more details:
https://marken-bootsbeschlaege.eu/WebRo ... igger3.JPG

Release mechanism at 0:10 and 1:30:

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 pm

^^agree the sand will go in between and inside that mechanism not as good for our purpose big drawback

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:20 am

This method pretty sure edt mentioned to do for pulling Dyneema tight threw PU works great this 7/64 line fits super snug at the end splices in this 4x6 mm PU dream fit :thumb:
No sand ever getting in that :)
Attachments
666E55A4-5EB5-4F3A-92D9-87E57C7AC604.jpeg
0217A1D6-0752-4DC5-890F-A92BE21805E0.jpeg

vlassadar
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bulgaria, Iskar lake
Favorite Beaches: Volvi, Greece
Burgas, Bulgaria
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2 11
Taaroa Sword 2
RRD 144x47
Been thanked: 0

Postby vlassadar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi, I read the whole topic, I liked best the bar of Jyoder with the offset center made out of low-friction ring and I'm working on it (ordered the parts).

I shared the idea with an experienced fellow - kitesurfer and he advised me against it, as the depower rope might get jammed (may be for a moment or in an extreme situation) when, say you twist the bar (forwards?) while riding and then try to pull the bar in (there is a torque or something like that, acting upon the rope as it's off-centre). According to him there used to be bars like that back in time, but quickly disappeared because of that problem.

Now, my strong belief is there is no chance for this jamming, as the rope will be single, non-shielded soft type depower rope from Liros and the low-friction ring's shape is just excellent against jamming at any angle. But as I myself will hang from it, I'd like to gather more opinions

I also like to glide in the winter, low but fast, in good control, without pushing the bar too much towards myself, so no worries about this, too

Bar ends are also important to me, still brainstorming about it. My favorite is this one:

I'd like to skip drilling the tube and inserting hard CF tubes in it at an angle. I think of elements retractable in the bar, but I like the bar plugs and inner dyneema connection between the controls just in case.

For sure I'll use the genius chickenloop replacement with the preserved quick release feature, too. I don't unhook, and in summer I started hydrofoiling, so this is just perfect

I love the idea of skipping 1 kg out of nothing plus getting a still mysterious to me much better feedback from the kite (Sonic 2 11m is my favourite all-around weapon), thanks for the great topic!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 am

kite_hh wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Haha. :-D
I like that you are so open to suggestions, but I have yet to understand them. ;-)

I see this Wichard as being inferior to the self constructed QR version above. It uses about the same space, it is more complicated to eject and it is way more expensive.

First you will always have one part dangling around. I'd be annoyed by that alone.
Then, this part could get stuck somewhere. Think murphy. Maybe even think safety line...

In case of emergency you will need (1) to find the right damn dangling thing and get a hold of it and then (2) figure out where to pull it to.

The self-build one is a simple and intuitive grab to the kite and shift away. Done.

Anyway, the wichard sure is a very nice piece of work and I do enjoy it when sailing.
I would argue that this is not the case.

The first thing is to REPLACE the dangling part :) So it can't get stuck etc. How to replace is the choice to make ;) I'll put a vid at some stage.

It might be true that the other solutions are more intuitive, but it's also true that many kiters are using this exact Wichard.

The beauty of it for me, as apposed to anything else on the market, it can be moved from bar to bar in no time. Imagine having many DIY bars but only one production release!?

Particularly important with foiling and a sliding bar. I'm sure a lot of kiters leave a bar on the kite. As I do. Than, I just take the Wichard off the bar, and put it on my other bar. Hence, the price is divided by the number of the bars.

One thing to remember is that there is no release which suits all needs. People who are ney sayers do not realise this very often :)

And yes, cannot be beaten by the one hand operation, because this IS one and only one hand action:

But, again, what does one hand operation mean when kiting? :naughty:

It does mean a lot with a sliding bar tho :)

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm

vlassadar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Bar ends are also important to me, still brainstorming about it. My favorite is this one:

I'd like to skip drilling the tube and inserting hard CF tubes in it at an angle. I think of elements retractable in the bar, but I like the bar plugs and inner dyneema connection between the controls just in case.

How about something like this for a bar end/winder.
Reversible: Rounded ends for riding. Forked ends for winding. Held in place by elastic. can be reversed on water for packdown.
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 15.29.10.png
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 15.29.10.png (42.86 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
These users thanked the author faklord for the post:
vlassadar (Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kite_hh
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, North, own

Postby kite_hh » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Still going on about the QR? ;-)
downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 am
The first thing is to REPLACE the dangling part :) So it can't get stuck etc. How to replace is the choice to make ;) I'll put a vid at some stage.
Show us how and you may have a point. So far.. not so much. :-)
downunder wrote:
It might be true that the other solutions are more intuitive, but it's also true that many kiters are using this exact Wichard.
Doesn't make it any better really, does it? In fact, time to get the word out to these guys!
downunder wrote:
The beauty of it for me, as apposed to anything else on the market, it can be moved from bar to bar in no time. Imagine having many DIY bars but only one production release!?
Your beauty would be my nightmare!

I like grabbing a bar and using it. Having to modify it before every use would almost certainly annoy me every time.
downunder wrote:
Particularly important with foiling and a sliding bar. I'm sure a lot of kiters leave a bar on the kite. As I do. Than, I just take the Wichard off the bar, and put it on my other bar. Hence, the price is divided by the number of the bars.
How many bars do you have? :-o
You'd need at least 10 to even get close to the price of _one_ KISS QR.
downunder wrote:
And yes, cannot be beaten by the one hand operation, because this IS one and only one hand action:
What? The only one?
I agree, if Wichard works it is one hand also. But so are almost all other QRs as well as the KISS QR.

To all those wondering, KISS QR is this one:
download/file.php?id=85737&mode=view

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:42 am

kite_hh wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm
Still going on about the QR? ;-)
downunder wrote:
Show us how and you may have a point. So far.. not so much. :-)
downunder wrote:
Doesn't make it any better really, does it? In fact, time to get the word out to these guys!
downunder wrote:
Your beauty would be my nightmare!

I like grabbing a bar and using it. Having to modify it before every use would almost certainly annoy me every time.
downunder wrote:
How many bars do you have? :-o
You'd need at least 10 to even get close to the price of _one_ KISS QR.
downunder wrote:
What? The only one?
I agree, if Wichard works it is one hand also. But so are almost all other QRs as well as the KISS QR.

To all those wondering, KISS QR is this one:
download/file.php?id=85737&mode=view

Ha ha

you are silly. I know a few other kiters who are dissecting my words as you do. They are MattV and AL . Are you MattV disguising as kite_hh?

Missed the most important part of all, this: One thing to remember is that there is no release which suits all needs. People who are ney sayers do not realise this very often :)

It is only true that some people do not see a tree from the woods. And for that I do not need to prove to you anything.

But, I did show you mine, so you show me yours now! Show us how KISS can be closed with one hand! Please demonstrate this: "...are almost all other QRs as well as the KISS QR.

That statement does not hold water, not matter how vocative you are.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:36 am

Published on July 3, 2019, 2:39 p.m.

https://www.epickiteskiteboarding.com/v ... on/gas-out

Look at the snap shackle :o

OMG, IT'S A SNAP SHACKLE! BUT HEY, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? NO ONE IS USING IT, RIGHT?
RElease_Screenshot from 2019-07-04 11-16-40.png
So there you go. Who is Dimitri Maramenides anyways....

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:49 am

faklord wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:37 pm
vlassadar wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:07 pm

How about something like this for a bar end/winder.
Reversible: Rounded ends for riding. Forked ends for winding. Held in place by elastic. can be reversed on water for packdown.
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 15.29.10.png
Thanks!

Spreading the forks makes winding much easier and they can be shorter because you can store more line than way.

I have now made a version for a fixed width bar, making the overall length 40mm shorter as the leader lines connect further out. But it requires a bolt through the carbon tube this way:
IMG_20190610_133530.jpg
IMG_20190520_134419.jpg
IMG_20190314_122455.jpg
Ps. Dimitri is stupid for using that shackle type, I thought he was smarter than that....

Return to “Gear Builders”