Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Saunton Beach death

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Saunton Beach death

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Okay, I will bite. Sometimes I end up in overpowered conditions in Cape Town on my 7m. If I try to keep the kite low when on the beach, as advised by several folks above, while understanding that the wind strength is less down low, I feel vulnerable because if I get pulled off my feet and tumbling sideways, I will likely lose control of the kite and end up in a worse situation. Instead, I feel more comfortable keeping the kite above me and under control, even if I'm getting lifted a bit, because I know I can keep control of the kite above me and not get tumbled sideways and lose control. And note that I routinely dump my kite to leash at the end of long downwinders as my way of "landing" on deserted beaches, but I do it from having the kite directly above me so it falls directly downwind of me under control in a place I choose, so I know what to do in an emergency. In summary, I disagree with the idea of keeping your kite low if you are overpowered on the beach.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 pm

The problem is that people get lofted and due to less experience and too fast kites they start pulling on one side and go off like a rocket.
Happened most of the times when things went wrong...just watch the videos of those accidents.

And...spending time on the beach in nuking wind is a really bad choice anyway...so you should approach the beach with a low kite and someone to catch it on the go. Same for launching on a wide beach.
A narrow beach is a different story again...depends on local conditions.

So much can be done the wrong way. So not experienced kiters should stay home on strong wind days...as we just learned it can kill even the most experienced kiters.

Be warned and keep reading the forum to become more aware of the challenges we have to face in this sport.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 pm
The problem is that people get lofted and due to less experience and too fast kites they start pulling on one side and go off like a rocket.
Happened most of the times when things went wrong...just watch the videos of those accidents.

And...spending time on the beach in nuking wind is a really bad choice anyway...so you should approach the beach with a low kite and someone to catch it on the go. Same for launching on a wide beach.
A narrow beach is a different story again...depends on local conditions.

So much can be done the wrong way. So not experienced kiters should stay home on strong wind days...as we just learned it can kill even the most experienced kiters.

Be warned and keep reading the forum to become more aware of the challenges we have to face in this sport.
No, we did not learn this.

All we know is that an experienced kiter died on a high wind day. We do not know why.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
jonysan (Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:50 pm) • james (Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 am)
Rating: 6.06%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Completely irresponsible conjecture from Toby once again. :nono:
These users thanked the author ScoopZ for the post (total 2):
jonysan (Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:50 pm) • james (Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 am)
Rating: 6.06%

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 am

Ahh shit, That sucks. That's the second experienced dude to die this year.

What do we know about this situation?

The guy was an avid kiter and experienced waterman.
The day was a small kite gusty day.
The accident occured in the water. They tried to resuscitate him on the scene but were unsuccessful.

Considering he was in the water that rules out launch/land issues. It must have been while riding.

Is there an more information about the accident its self? kite size? what actually transpired.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:06 am

ScoopZ wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 pm
Completely irresponsible conjecture from Toby once again. :nono:
I actually don't think it's Toby ;) Someone else is filling his shoes?

Or Toby's writing English has changed significantly in the last few months...Dare to comment Toby? Your commenting style completely changed recently.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
badgb21 (Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:40 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 pm
Okay, I will bite. Sometimes I end up in overpowered conditions in Cape Town on my 7m. If I try to keep the kite low when on the beach, as advised by several folks above, while understanding that the wind strength is less down low, I feel vulnerable because if I get pulled off my feet and tumbling sideways, I will likely lose control of the kite and end up in a worse situation. Instead, I feel more comfortable keeping the kite above me and under control, even if I'm getting lifted a bit, because I know I can keep control of the kite above me and not get tumbled sideways and lose control. And note that I routinely dump my kite to leash at the end of long downwinders as my way of "landing" on deserted beaches, but I do it from having the kite directly above me so it falls directly downwind of me under control in a place I choose, so I know what to do in an emergency. In summary, I disagree with the idea of keeping your kite low if you are overpowered on the beach.
I kind of see what you are saying. But do you fly it directly overhead at 12? Or more like 10-11 or 1-2 when you are massively powered? It makes a difference to be slightly off centre.

You are right that there isn't a one size fits all and it depends on the situation and the hazards around you. Sometimes being dragged sideways will be a preferable result to be lofted downwind depending on the terrain. Never been to Cape Town so can't comment on the conditions but in the videos of the pros, it generally looks like they favour the kite at 2ish pulling them towards the sea.

If you can't keep your kite low without being pulled off balance how do you launch or land in those conditions? Sounds really sketchy to be in conditions where you may be pulled off balance during the launch. Do you find you have to get it up to the zenith as soon as possible?

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I think the idea is to keep your kite low and pointed towards the water. I would much rather get dragged or tossed towards the water than lofted and flying towards danger.....to each their own.. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:24 pm

I’m not sure many right minded people will recommend keeping your kite high in overpowered gusty conditions...!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:06 pm

RIP and strength to his family and friends.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-47197466

Return to “Kitesurfing”