Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When is "Big" too big?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: When is "Big" too big?

Postby fernmanus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:00 am

Anthony,

Great idea, I will have to rig up something similar!

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 am

Turbo chargers check. Super light wind 6 to 7 mph put in the turbos added two battery operated blowers for air beds. By the time I had the lines out and walked, the kite was 40 to 50% inflated. Time from hitting the snow to kite flying 20 minutes much better than day 1 1.5 hrs. The amazing thing is I laid down over 2 miles of tracks in wind that never went over 7 MPH. Even got a few small jumps in. In a wind I could barely feel. :lol: Really really looking forward to to seeing some real wind. Looking like it's time for a road trip to Strawberry reservoir Utah. Can't wait to see some of the locals Matteo V, Frenmanus hope we get a chance to meet you. :bye:

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Thought I would put in a quick note here.

Snow Mesa this weekend with Matth and friends was Awesome! Light wind day one, put in the Turbos with no blowers on the 21 Soul. 10 to 12 mph winds, the kite filled beautifully. No effort on my part other than putting in and taking out the Turbos.( See above posts for description) I'm still having problems on initial launch half inflated the tips tend to rollover each other. Also looking for suggestions other than deploying the Chicken loop for parking and taking a rest. LEI's got it much better in this situation. I got some jumps in and once again when everybody else was looking at their kites on the ground I was flying. Even Matth an avowed LEIer said he was "INTRIGUED" as he goes by on my kite with everybody once again parked on the ground.
I had some powder issues see my post about kiting specific snowboards. Other wise still enjoying my Jolly Green Giant future referenced as JGG. :D

:bye:

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 am

To enable me to go for a nice light wind cruise in 11-12kn I purchased a Cabrinha 19m Contra in 2017. I combine this with my 166/170x50 boards and I can get out on the water. The only concern I have from time to time is that in this low wind the margin for error is high. If the wind drops by just a knot then it takes some decent control skills to keep the kite flying and not endanger others especially when launching and landing. So I have used this kite on 20 occasions so far, so that is 20 more sessions than i used to do. Stay safe.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:36 am

I had several sessions last weekend on the 21. Monday was a bluebird day at Strawberry with a very light breeze. I used GoPro Quikstories for the edit. Yeah, it is kind of lame music, but I don’t have the time/fortitude to spend hours editing video. A big shout out to Ted Bautista, Flysurfer USA. I lost my 21 Soul 2 weeks ago at Skyline due to a fluke wind switch, deep in the backcountry. Ted got a 21 to me the same week. Footage was taken on a downwinder from Chicken Creek to the cabins.

Last edited by fernmanus on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chris country
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby chris country » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Oh man, if I don't get a chance to ride some terrain like that and do those kind of glides at least once in my lifetime, I'm going to feel incomplete. That is exactly what I'd like to be doing with this sport right now. Thanks for sharing.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks, Chris! I hope you can make it out here one day. February or March are good months to come to Utah as the snowpack is solid and the weather is usually agreeable. This is the best year that we have had in a while. It seems like we have just had one storm on top of another. Snow is thigh deep in the backcountry.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 am

:D So I finally got my wish, I got wind. Steady winds 12 to 14 Gusts 16 to 18. 18 + inches of beautiful untouched fresh powder. Tom, Todd and myself hit it hard. Tom had the best session he's probably ever had on the Mesa. Todd did ok but was way underpowered on his 10. I had a few small snafus like leaving my leash in the car back in the parking lot a mile away. Luckily a friend gave me a ride back to get it. And as we know when you try to show off bad things happen. So I finally got the JGG Jolly Green Giant in the air and did a nice pass across the valley and on the way back I decided to get close to my friend. The JGG started diving for some trees and I turned it quickly but forgot to depower it. The result of which is my friend got to watch me get lofted at least 12 feet in the air and almost thrown in a 14 foot pine tree, I missed it by a foot. :lol: JGG makes a great snow plow, it worked awesome!! :thumb: I plowed some trenches and destroyed a bunch of beautiful untouched fresh powder. Had a few nice glides but was more concerned with not repeating the loft. I believe it was the third post on this thread that said keep it low. I'll work harder on that. The only negative to the day was JGG crashed 3 times, one being the loft and twice more due to wind shadows and lulls. I spent at least 1.5 hours walking lines and untangling the kite. Low wind crashes are frustrating so looking for advice on how to deal with this. Awesome day on the Mesa. :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”