Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Quobba Fins

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Lol, this will go nowhere, like every other novelty fin design throughout history. It'll be marketed with the same hand-wavy, non-quantifiable BS that other stuff like this always is, and will ultimately make no difference. Their marketing will show a bunch of waves being ridden that could be ridden *exactly the same way* on normal fins, with absolutely no demonstrable differentiation that can show their product is better.

I'd love to see the CFD models they have that show that this thing makes anything faster, but just like all of these things, they won't have any.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I always love how someone who hasn't tried something is the biggest critic. Since I've ridden them back to back to my standard fins under similar conditions I can honestly say there's a noticeable difference. I can feel that difference in my feet. They don't need engineering data to confirm it. I'd also say the guy that makes them has contacted me 3x for my input. He seems genuinely interested in customer feedback.
These users thanked the author lewmt for the post:
adamj2281 (Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:36 pm

lewmt wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm
I can feel that difference in my feet. They don't need engineering data to confirm it.
If they don't have or can't/won't get any actual data, they should stop claiming they're faster and instead claim, "riders feel it in their feet!" since they have absolutely no evidence that they're actually faster.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 pm

lewmt wrote:
Since I've ridden them back to back to my standard fins under similar conditions I can honestly say there's a noticeable difference.
Have you compared them to something like the Futures fins with their V2 foil?

Quoted from Futures... "The foil enhances efficient water flow with its uniquely designed curved surfaces."

Some FCS fins with their Inside Foil are similar to the Futures V2 as well. What's your "standard" fin for a reference point? Thanks :thumb:

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:05 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 pm
lewmt wrote:
Since I've ridden them back to back to my standard fins under similar conditions I can honestly say there's a noticeable difference.
Have you compared them to something like the Futures fins with their V2 foil?

Quoted from Futures... "The foil enhances efficient water flow with its uniquely designed curved surfaces."

Some FCS fins with their Inside Foil are similar to the Futures V2 as well. What's your "standard" fin for a reference point? Thanks :thumb:
My other fins are AM1's. I've never tried the V2 foils. So far I've only ridden thruster setup on my Vader.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:44 am

In the end theories, CFD and marketing are just steps along the path. User feedback and, when appropriate, A/B testing and competition are the real tests, for every product.

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 am

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... ins?page=1

Since they are Aussie made these guys have a few more & better reviews than mine. Also more reviews from legit surf

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 am

try different boards, different fins, different tail shapes, nose shapes, rail shapes, bottom shaoes, vees, volumes, fin positions, constructions.. in different conditions /waves

try it all, because reality is that few do this and there are very few qualified to comment about your own situation that do not have a conflict of interest

Return to “Kitesurfing”