Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why isn't sliding rope bar more prevalent?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why isn't sliding rope bar more prevalent?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

Regarding max jumps, I think that IF it slides even just a tad on the very takeoff when loading max, it equals loss, that is simple physics.

So say for KOTA riders, they dont want to risk this, nor that it suddenly slides during a risky megaloop.

Might be wrong, but that is how I think it is.

Many loves the sliding bar indeed.

We dont see many around here though.

I have got a really good one, but even for hydrofoiling I have tried for many sessions as I knew one had to take the time to get used to of course, it is not "instant love" but we all know that.
So keep at it till it works :thumb:

But I havent found the love yet, it is a too sloppy feel for me somehow, dont like it.
With my stiff body it should be much better for me so I can ride toeside much better, but I still dont like it.
For surfboards it doesnt matter to me - dont really ride toeside much on these, and even when, as in riding a wave, I dont feel limited eventhough I must be yes.

Probably me that is too conservative and can not change, I know.

But I like that I can always feel precisely where the kite is and how much it pulls through the hook, even with closed eyes - that is a thing the fixed hook gives you as a big advantage :rollgrin:

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 pm

For me its very easy. While riding toeside - from reach course to upwind you must rotate your hip to upwind direction. Kite pull on hook rotate you on exactly oposite direction - so in order to overcome this rotation you must rotate your hips harder. You are get used to overcome this and just push your hips harder. If you change harness to slider you must substract this kite overcoming force from your movement. But to not to have doing this - overcome kite force while rotating hips is very liberating. SO FREE YOUR HIPS and DANCE MORE!!! :)

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am
But I havent found the love yet, it is a too sloppy feel for me somehow, dont like it.
With my stiff body it should be much better for me so I can ride toeside much better, but I still dont like it.
For surfboards it doesnt matter to me - dont really ride toeside much on these, and even when, as in riding a wave, I dont feel limited eventhough I must be yes.
+1

Had a sliding rope and went back to fixed hook. It never stopped feeling like less control. Not only for jumping but also when riding waves (frontside). Fixed hook is so much better for everything, except standing toeside a lot but I never do that for too long.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:08 am

I went back to using a regular hook on the twim tip after two years or so of using a Dynabar exclusively.

Toe side riding is more tricky of course but I feel jumps are more ...crisp. The DB seemed a bit spongy when loading up...

Still 100% using Dynabar for foiling and surging though!
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
SalmonSlayer (Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am

tomtom wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 pm
For me its very easy. While riding toeside - from reach course to upwind you must rotate your hip to upwind direction. Kite pull on hook rotate you on exactly oposite direction - so in order to overcome this rotation you must rotate your hips harder. You are get used to overcome this and just push your hips harder. If you change harness to slider you must substract this kite overcoming force from your movement. But to not to have doing this - overcome kite force while rotating hips is very liberating. SO FREE YOUR HIPS and DANCE MORE!!! :)
Another alternative if you don't mind being hooked in permanently, is to grind off the hook and use an eyelet instead. That way the leverage is about 5cm closer to your centre.
Less off-centre leverage than a hook, more fixed than a slider setup.
These users thanked the author rynhardt for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 am

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am
tomtom wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Another alternative if you don't mind being hooked in permanently, is to grind off the hook and use an eyelet instead. That way the leverage is about 5cm closer to your centre.
That's an option that came with my Dynabar, just bolts on the front.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:59 am

I went Jay harness and rope slider 2 years ago. It took a while to get the handle of the jandle.
Now its seemless and i dont notice even when boosting on the mutant.

One of the things that made a big difference was going to low friction ring and short chicken loop. That gets the bar in about 8cm closer and makes for some smooth non notchy sliding. Also i'm still on the same rope 2 years in.

As stated above the main advantage is toeside. Heelside yeilds little difference/advantage.
12049333.jpg

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:06 am

rynhardt wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 am

Yes its good compromise, but i tried it back to back vs slider and rotating force while riding toeside its just here. Even slider rotate you, just much less

Ultimately i think its matter of habbits and how much toeside one ride. I rode ts a lot.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Foil wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 am
deniska wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 am
I loved the slider while learning to hydrofoil.. really helped with toeside tacks, imho.
Once I progressed to jumping it felt a little weird and with less control.. not a huge deal, actually..
But my biggest issue with it was self launching in powered conditions (so that you go bigger on hydrofoil)
I never figured how to do an LEI tethered launch with the damn thing...
Messing with a chicken loop in low wind conditions is one thing.. resetting it while really powered.. is way more challenging than using the hook, for me...
easily fixed by using the newish Ozone clip in chicken loop, its brilliant and even works when full of gritty sand, I agree that trying to re set a standard chicken loop would be far too difficult with a powered up kite.
Is anyone else using a similar system to the Ozone clip in? Looks slick but I am not about to pay $180 for a chickenloop replacement!

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Been using the Jay Dynabar for errm probably 5-6 years now, ride mainly strapless surf but also still enjoy boosting when it's banging wind on the tt and the rare occasion I've used a fixed hook I've struggled!

Return to “Kitesurfing”