Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Is strapless overrated?

Postby peppedurso » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Found this clear analysis about strapless and wanted to share it on the forum.

https://www.wild-kitesurf-peru.com/kite ... overrated/

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is strapless overrated?

Postby cor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 pm

I don't agree with this analysis at all. The author seems to very biased or even angry because he talked too much to some strapless blokes at the beach showing off and now thinks that he needs to justify his style or riding.

For me, strapless is neither "better", nor "a trend" nor "a religion", but it just feels way way better, gives more freedom in waves, is better for the knees and opens up whole new world when it comes to tricks that you can't do with straps. For conditions, I found that yes, there are conditions where straps are better, but on the other hand I don't have fun in such conditions on a waveboard at all, strapped or strapless. That's when I am pulling out the TT.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm

do what you want and don't listen to what others say!

If I listened to all these wannabees and "pros" I wouldn't do all the tricks I do. Limited thinking leads to limited riding!

So, go and enjoy what YOU prefer!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 3):
purdyd (Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:33 pm) • or6 (Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:05 pm) • mede (Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Has thanked: 0

Postby Chicken-loop » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Jeebus... If you are worried about how your riding looks then you won’t be enjoying it.

Kitesurfing is like a religion, you do it for your own inner fulfilment not for its coolness. If you do it for the coolness you’ll never really get it.

Ride what you want, how you want ..
These users thanked the author Chicken-loop for the post:
Toby (Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes

Just like foiling, boots, handle passes kite loops, big air, twin tips, surf boards, waist harnesses, no helmets, and kitesurfing.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:28 pm

Strapless community is growing. the majority goes back and forth strapless and just like thats.. a good part makes surf board off maneuvers and a small elite makes back and front rotations rodeo ecc..Aliens do World Cup ...but eveybody like what they do indipendent the level

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:49 pm

basically a nice way of saying strapless is better for kooks and a great click bait/seo for the tours...! i'll go... looooooooooooooooong left handers, ill even wear a wetsuit.

ap888
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Zion/K peir/Inver/Goderich
Favorite Beaches: Good wind/Flat water/Good waves
Style: Foil/Loops/Big Air/Strapless
Gear: Ozone Uno V2 4m
North Neo (17) 5m
Cabrinha Drifter (16) 8m
Flysurfer Sonic 2 -11m
Moses
BWS Stallion 5’
CrazyFly Shox Custom 135
Groove Skate
Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: HFL

Postby ap888 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Try/ Experience all styles and types of kiteboarding then come back and leave a comment people talk Sh*t about other styles but yet have never tried it before :lol: ...have tried them all except speed kiting, buggy kiting and using a race board :)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Good article that shouldn't have offended the International Strapless State (ISiS) too much. Then again, I was once a member and would have taken offense to it back when I was operating under their indoctrination too. Now I am much happier that I have moved on since I do tend to question the group think that even I am suceptible too.

Quotes from the original article:

start with straps, get and get confortable with them before you take them off.
My foundational piece of advice to first time directional riders is the same. But my reasoning is that the strapped jibe is more difficult and needs to be mastered first before you try strapless. If you don't learn the strapped jibe first, then you have another problem to tackle when you try to go back to strapped from strapless. Being able to jibe strapless, but falling off trying to jibe strapped, will really discourage you from experiencing strapped fully. If you first learn the strapless jibe, forever a strapless rider will you be. If you learn the strapped jibe first, you can more easily come to your own conclusion as to what is better for you since you will be able to jibe both ways.

Over the time, I’ve seen so many guys struggling to stay into the waves and looking funny in their maneuvers all for the sake of riding strapless. I don’t say you have to be Keahi De Aboitiz to enjoy strapless kitesurfing, but fighting the wave every step on the way isn’t the idea either.
I can relate to this as I had to learn the hard way. I did river swell which very much conducive to learning strapless, and I was also in a bad ocean break location for strapless with junk waves most of the time. But that was not what made me realize that my idolization of strapless was not making me happy. It was the absolute irrefutable fact that the "rollercoaster" ride in any wave condition was more intense with straps, than I could have ever made it without straps - at any skill level. And not only that, but kitesurfing is limited and restricted to surfing simulation when the rider is strapless. With straps, the boundaries are erased and the limitations of prone surfing no longer apply. So it is not that strapless kooks are being kooks. Strapless riders are just dealing with limitations/handicaps that are extremely difficult to deal with, if the goal is to look good to the untrained beachgoer's eye. But even if they look like kooks, they are still having fun dealing with the limitations that they are determined to one day overcome.

.....I personally felt a lot cooler the day I took the straps off my board....
.....That’s the time I’ve finally learned not to follow trends too much....
Everybody follows trends, and everybody lies about it. This is a cross culturally observable reality in the human species. The more one resists this fact of human nature, the more of a snob one becomes. The best way to combat it is to embrace it. Go with the flow, go with the group think. Just make absolutely sure you give yourself a way out when the time comes to embrace your future self realization. In strapless vs strapped kiting, that "way out" is to have a really good strapped jibe down before you start your strapless experience. Then you can go back and fourth with comparing the two, and truly decide as an individual, what is the most fulfilling for you.

Strapless should not be a religion
It is perfectly acceptable for strapless to be a religion. In fact, strong beliefs are foundational to any sort of limitation on thinking. The only problem is when the strapless crowd moves beyond religion into an "all encompassing ideology" that is rigidly enforced. When ideas are forced upon, rather than allowed to be examined and accepted/rejected, progress is retarded to the point of "going backwards". The best way for the strapless crowd to break free of this trap is to not be focused on what is best for all, but rather what can be shown to work better, or in different situations. Given the subjective nature of kitesurfing, along with the impossibility of removing radical ideologies from all individuals, going with the flow AND pushing back will greatly expand kitesurfing's horizons.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 pm

Some people just have way too much time on their hands.....Nice presentation. I don't think I put that much effort into college papers.

I can't be bothered by what someone else is doing while attached to a kite. Don't care if you're booted wakestyle, foiling, strapless/strapped surf, skimboard or wakeskate. Do whatever the funck you want. It's YOUR time on the water.
Don't be an elitist assh0le in any sport you do, because there is always someone better than you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”