Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is strapless overrated?

Forum for kitesurfers
John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: Is strapless overrated?

Postby John Doe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:26 am

Here's the thing for me. I am 50. I am in pretty good shape. I ride a few great, even world class, wave spots. I have ridden strapped since the beginning. I have ridden strapless as well.

With straps I can:
1. jump 12 foot of whitewater easily
2. i can tack upwind through the inside, because I can jump whitewater
3. i can jump 20-25' plus off waves
4. i can hit the lip as hard as i can & the board never comes off my feet

At my age & ability, I could not do any of that without straps.

Basically no one that I kite with, other than some pros, jump at all. I mean never. The strapless movement has eliminated one of the most fun aspects of our sport, jumping, for 95% of directional riders. Discuss.
These users thanked the author John Doe for the post (total 2):
Toby (Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:03 am) • PullStrings (Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am

John Doe wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:26 am
At my age & ability, I could not do any of that without straps.
Straps are an advantage. Strapless is a handicap. Reality be a harsh mistress in this day and age, me mateys.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
PullStrings (Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:50 am

John Doe wrote:
Basically no one that I kite with, other than some pros, jump at all. I mean never. The strapless movement has eliminated one of the most fun aspects of our sport, jumping, for 95% of directional riders. Discuss.
The scene at my local beach is pretty much 100% SB & about 80% strapless. There are no TTs. There is no jumping. A few of the more aspirational guys try to jump strapless, but with very limited success - certainly nothing that looks remotely like Airton, Jesse or the other pros. It is interesting how jumping, once the main attraction of kiting has been largely abandoned. I prefer carving to jumping now & ride without a rear strap (like other old codgers I know). I occasionally put on the rear strap & send it. There is a subcategory of jumping foilers, however. They go out with their race foils, flysurfers & woos & go big & floaty.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am

Surely riding with one strap only is the worst of both worlds ? Much bigger risk of injury if that front foot stays in, less flexibility in foot position if you are going for the strapless feel .
I’m with the guys who say strapless has removed the fun factor and jumping ( unless your amazingly good and have the right conditions ) it’s a shame that some of the nicest looking wave boards now don’t even have the option of straps . I’m lucky my board is from a local shaper who will either fit the inserts or not depending on your wish.
For me the whole religious debate seems a bit pointless tho . Go out and do what you want to do and ignore those on either side who say you are a kook (because you either do or don’t have straps)

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:00 am

Overrated? ? Is "strapless" world tour regular surfing overrated?
I am biased to strapless but I do recognize straps are needed for some riding.

1. Jumping and LANDING without straps versus with is a completely different set of skills. Some riders like that just for the challenge. Once your flying the float feeling is WAY different. Once good at strapless it takes no effort to get some air without having waves/quickers. Straps work in BIG air, but WHY? Just use a TT.
2. Most conditions brings all kinds of waves. Height, shape,speed...In my opinion having straps limits your riding a particular wave. No freedom to move and adapt your front/back foot to a particular set. Style-wise surfing with straps looks stiff as hell.
3.Straps are great for learning/ practicing new tricks and in very harsh conditions and huge waves.
52448023_2007366779380526_5949756978979930112_n.jpg

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:52 am

John Doe wrote:
With straps I can:
1. jump 12 foot of whitewater easily
2. i can tack upwind through the inside, because I can jump whitewater
3. i can jump 20-25' plus off waves
4. i can hit the lip as hard as i can & the board never comes off my feet.
If these are your goals in kitesurfing, use straps and have fun.

All these points have absolutely zero value for me personally, so I don't use straps - as easy as that.
Where is the issue?
John Doe wrote:
This is really funny.
Have you ever considered, that jumping with straps is simply not "one of the most fun aspects of our sport" for those 95%?
Something that is fun yourself, can be pretty boring for someone else.

I usually take a twintip every once in a while and boost 5 or 6 times.
And that gets me covered for another year.
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 am
Straps are an advantage. Strapless is a handicap.
Considering you do not get any money for kitesurfing, but do it for fun.
If you are having less fun with straps, than without straps - where is the advantage?

You have written several times how straps enable you to do things, you could not do without straps, like:

Zip through chop super fast.
Use a kite (size or type) that generates so much power, that it would lift you off the board without straps.
Jump over whitewater.

If these are the things you really enjoy in kitesurfing - obviously use straps.
Of If you need those points to enjoy kitesurfing - for example you are unable to get over waves without jumping or unable to got upwind with a small kite and have no intention in learning that skill - use straps.

For me personally those points have zero value.
So why would I limit myself with straps, for something that does not offer me anything?

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Anything „less” cannot be overrated. Over appreciatied - maybe. You can ride strapless - you can more than those strapped-only.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:49 pm

I think its not a big problem to Jump strapless ..if i want go higher i take twintip..on wave control i can understand people use strap sometimes ..you are allowed to use strap in World Tour if u like. when its wave competition and not freestyle ..personally i never use straps in surf i prefer to choose wave smaller where i dont Need strap..when its hardcore i prefer use twintip i feel more safe
Attachments
IMG_20181119_202927_784.jpg

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Is strapless overrated?
Of course. Everything is overrated by the people who love it. That’s kind of what it means to love it. It takes over your life and becomes everything. So what? Do what you love, just don’t expect everyone else to follow you.
And try not to be too surprised when it changes later. 😆

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:54 pm
Is strapless overrated?
Of course. Everything is overrated by the people who love it. That’s kind of what it means to love it. It takes over your life and becomes everything. So what? Do what you love, just don’t expect everyone else to follow you.
And try not to be too surprised when it changes later. 😆
No argument with the gist of your comment. My problem is with the question of "why do I love this?"

Is it because I have swallowed the hype?
Is it because everyone else is doing it?
Is it because of actual peer pressure?
Is it because you have to become a respected pro?
Is it because you actually believe that strapless allows you to do more?

Thew above points are why I did strapless for so long. And all of the above were what I had to objectively examine in order to break free from a mindset that was actually making me love kitesurfing less. Truly ask yourself if you are possibly susceptible to BS'ing yourself in this manner like I was.

Return to “Kitesurfing”