A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer 6 m Soul for hydrofoil

Postby slowboat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:42 am

The larger sizes are very popular but would like to learn about the 6 meter Soul for hydrofoiling and specifically low end wind range. Thanks

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Flysurfer 6 m Soul for hydrofoil

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:19 am

I'll let you know in a couple weeks, just got my hands on a 6m. I'll be riding the Moses 633 on a pocket board. I'll let you know how I like it.

=Jason-

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 am

Hi Slowboat.

I have had a 6m Soul for about 6 months and have used it mainly with my Moses 633 foil on a 125 Axis minimal volume board and it works great for me. I'm 65kg and can foil with the 6m almost to the point it won't stay in the air. It also has a good wind range at the high end and works well with a TT board. I'm not sure of your experience with a foil kite but if it's your first time with a foil kite compared to an LEI kite it will be a bit different in its turning characteristics and where it develops its power. Being a foil kite it has good drift and can go quite deep downwind.
However a lot depends on your weight, type of hydrofoil, foil kite experience and wind & launch conditions where you intend to fly the kite. If you can tell us more it would help.

Regards Dave

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:03 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 am
Hi Slowboat.

I have had a 6m Soul for about 6 months and have used it mainly with my Moses 633 foil on a 125 Axis minimal volume board and it works great for me. I'm 65kg and can foil with the 6m almost to the point it won't stay in the air. It also has a good wind range at the high end and works well with a TT board. I'm not sure of your experience with a foil kite but if it's your first time with a foil kite compared to an LEI kite it will be a bit different in its turning characteristics and where it develops its power. Being a foil kite it has good drift and can go quite deep downwind.
However a lot depends on your weight, type of hydrofoil, foil kite experience and wind & launch conditions where you intend to fly the kite. If you can tell us more it would help.

Regards Dave
Similar body weight and foil to yours. Flysurfer site says zenith parking at 6 knots. Doubt we could foil in 6 knots with it. Do you think 8 to 9 knots is reasonable?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Search forum for owerflying the wind window.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:13 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:03 pm
drsurf wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 am
Hi Slowboat.

Regards Dave
Similar body weight and foil to yours. Flysurfer site says zenith parking at 6 knots. Doubt we could foil in 6 knots with it. Do you think 8 to 9 knots is reasonable?
Hi Slowboat.

I think 8 to 9 knots is reasonable given steady wind and a large foil like the 633. Being lightweight is a significant advantage in light winds. Although zenith parking is 6 knots thats not where you're using the kite, you have to be able to keep the kite static in the air at 45° for example to be usable. Mind you the Soul has great apparent wind performance and you can become a bit deluded as to what the wind strength is when you're up and foiling at speed :)
However it does relaunch well, though as with any kite especially in light wind, don't go further out than you're prepared to swim.

As for downunder's comments about overflying the window, never had it happen in any circumstance, it just floats back into the window when the window contracts during a drop in wind strength. Ditto with 10m Soul. downunder has made unsubstantiated reports on this matter before on the forum and while it seems to be a problem for him, who doesn't appear to have a 6m Soul, he can provide no evidence.

Let me know if I can help you further, have fun, Dave

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:40 pm

i'll add my 2c.

jmho, but for LEARNING to foil i do no believe the soul is the foil kite you want..
while easy to relaunch for a medium aspect kite(from your many future wipeouts) souls excel in boosting(which...again imo..is opposite what you want trying to learn to hydrofoil)

a kite with power+speed you can not control= spectacular crashes

im in process of learning foiling and a kite with tons of depower makes things 1000x easier(at least to me)
my suggestion for beginning foilers would be to look at a lower aspect like concept air's wave 6.5 instead...massive depower range and relaunches as easily as flysurfer's soul.

i've never flown a Kitech Free RS yet..but i heard it also has tons of drift/depower too(shape looks in between CA wave and flysurfer soul)
if it doesnt have to be a foilkite...maybe consider also low aspect tubes like BRM's cloud or ozone's reo
pretty much any short fat kite(as opposed to that long wing shape) will drift well and relaunch easily.

now once we can handle speed and power...then it's time to break out the soul on a foilboard.
fysurfer soul boosting off a hydrofoil = top of leaderboard practically anywhere

souls do have the awesome range on the low end. on a 12 if seeing any whitecaps means i can stay upwind on a TT... 12 get overpowered(on TT) once the whitecaps/spray are everywhere..
the 6 on a TT becomes great right when 12 is starting to become a handful(knots low 20s)
i have not seen the upper limit on the 6
im ~77kg fwiw

regards
-el

twig
Medium Poster
Style: freeride/boosting/Hydrofoil/race
Gear: Flysurfer speed4 lotus 12m
Flysurfer Sonic fr 18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 15m
North Vegas 11m
Flysurfer sonic race 9m
Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m

Postby twig » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:10 pm

I belive that the depower of the soul is great if its used with short lines, then it shoots more to the front of the wind window. That is whats written at the flysurfer webpage.

It could possibly be a bit harder to learn foiling with compared to some tame tubes, but its construction is robust(especially the small sizes) and relaunch is best among foilkites at the moment.

If a total beginner starts with both foilkite and hydrofoil, yes then it could be a bit much with all the bridles and balance on the foil.

I have never tried it though.
Im ridning other flysurfer foilkites and look to get the soul for learning to foil(im halfway there). Only reason i would not is I would like something even more safe to be able to ride really far away and then a tube like the new ozone alpha could have the advantage to not sink in like no wind.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 pm

to be fair i've only used longer lines (27m i believe) on souls.

Return to “Hydrofoil”