Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is strapless overrated?

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:01 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 am

Wild guess is that...the fun that 90% of strapless people say they have ...has been strongly exaggerated !!
What a supremely dick thing to say!

Can we use the same lens to quality this bit of self described glory a few lines later?
PullStrings wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 am

Wind was side-side-on around 14 but quickly went up to 21 mph ...surf waves smallish 2-3 footers :D
Great ramps
Great jump heights
Great fun
Great transitions....love those inverted table tops downloops
Great off the wind wave rides
Worked for me....killed it !!
P.S. A table top is already inverted...... no need to exaggerate.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Ok admit it. We all feel a little bit cooler when we don’t have straps. Are when you have a surfboard versus a twin tip or more lately if you foil we feel cool.

And of course if ride you strapless foil you are really cool.

Fashion, we are all victims of it. Remember the uproar over the Duotone name? People said they would buy the kite just because the name wasn’t cool.

Some fashions are timeless some don’t stand the test of time. Remember bell bottom jeans? Unhooked wave riding?

If I don’t have straps in my board no one bats an eye. If do, I get the occasional comment something is wrong with it.

Fashion. I can’t help wondering how many people are riding strapless just because it is the fashion. Or maybe won’t use straps because it isn’t fashionable.

In waves to me it is about getting to the right spot and repeating.

There is no question to me that I am more efficient going up wind with straps and can use a smaller kite and or board. That gives me more maneuverability so I can get the board and kite in the right spot.

I disagree with Peru kite, I can crank a bottom turn equally well strapped or strapless even in chop.

Changing.feet, no question strapless is quicker. But I haven’t heard anyone comment on wax. If you have ever used some of the really sticky stuff like the sticky bumps punt, it is like having suction cups in your feet but it really limits your ability to slide your feet.

As far as moving forward and backward, with straps you don’t need to, as you can simply lean your body forward and back and sinks the nose or put more pressure on the tail.

And if you are in waves, you need to get out through them and straps present a lot more options.

Oddly I get more foot movement when kiting upwind strapped. I tend to be more grounded strapless.

Strapped really improved my strapless riding and riding strapless improves my strapped riding.

Yesterday I ride strapless in the morning and strapped in the afternoon when it was a bit lighter and choppier.

Today might be foiling so I can get better and ride strapless so I can be really cool!
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post (total 3):
Toby (Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 pm) • Flyboy (Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:48 pm) • Peter_Frank (Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:32 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:14 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:01 pm

P.S. A table top is already inverted...... no need to exaggerate.
Meant to write tweaked :wink:

grandeand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Italy..Calabrone, fiumaretta, lo stagnone
Gear: Principiante

Postby grandeand » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm

it's completely subjective.
I love going strapless; I tried with the straps but I did not feel comfortable.
there are conditions (very large waves or very strong current, rocks in the wind) where I decide to mount the strap and leash, but almost always I go strapless.
the other difference is to go with the surf that has the pads or with paraffin.
I love direct contact with the table, so I love going with paraffin.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 pm

grandeand wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:12 pm
it's completely subjective.
I love going strapless; I tried with the straps but I did not feel comfortable.
there are conditions (very large waves or very strong current, rocks in the wind) where I decide to mount the strap and leash, but almost always I go strapless.
the other difference is to go with the surf that has the pads or with paraffin.
I love direct contact with the table, so I love going with paraffin.

I am the other way around...

Come from windsurfing, and straps are SO much better in every way IMO.

Have ridden strapless waveboards for some years, till I found there was absolutely no advantages whatsoever.

Mostly a "smart thing" that particularly newbees thinks is "so cool" ha haa.

For those only riding old boards, it is also a way to learn more difficult things, instead of getting bored, makes sense.

When hydrofoiling it is completely opposite for me, here it MAKES SENSE to go strapless, and I almost solely ride strapless here, as you dont have any bounce or chop or similar, so going strapless here is the ultimate feeling of freedom for me, except when I occasionally a few times want to jump in lighter winds, where straps is a must and fun.

Strapless, not fun on waveboards, but I understand the desire for those not hydrofoiling but mostly or only riding waveboards.

You can learn different tricks in lower winds and onshore, when on a square waveboard, so a fun challenge if that is all you want.

Personally I have so much experience in straps and positions (which IS a thesis in itself only very very few has learned to master), that it by far gives me the most when riding waves.
Most kitesurfers have never learned this, to be able to find the precise millimeter spots, combined with the board shape, that works in ALL conditions.

I know most might disagree, but so be it, we are all different and THAT is the key here, different likings and nothing but that, it is all good and no reason to diss one or another style :D

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
PullStrings (Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm

OMG Peter! I always thought your are cool !
Now you tell us you are riding strapped!
The end of a forum icon... 😔

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes, I know, I ride what is best for me, and not what is most "smart", sorry.... :wink:

But I like it, and that is what matters for me, last month down in Melkboss in the morning before we went to see KOTA going off, awesome almost perfect waves, great fun :thumb:

Just an old geezer doing what I think works the best and most fun ha haa, and not following the mainstream, sorry :naughty:

On hydrofoils, strapless is THE thing though, but that is a totally different world :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Toby (Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:48 pm) • mikelet (Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Just an old geezer doing what I think works the best and most fun ha haa, and not following the mainstream, sorry
Hahaa!! nice one !!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:37 pm

On hydrofoils, strapless is THE thing though, but that is a totally different world :rollgrin:

8) Peter
Funny that you say that, as I'm currently thinking the opposite. On a surfboard, I feel the need to micro adjust my feet more, for upwind performance, for on the wave performance, (mostly the back foot though), for jumps and back loops. On the other hand, on the foil, (SpitFire XLW) it feels like there is only one perfect foot position that feels great, and any 2cm deviation from that seems to be nowhere near as good, hence why I'm putting my straps on my board again to keep me on that position at all times. (and get back into jumping). Although I still like the freedom of strapless, and nothing in the way of the foot switches, so not 100% convinced yet that I want straps.
Still a bit split you see, but I'm not scared of exploring and backtracking if I end up not happy with my choices!

Return to “Kitesurfing”