Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

naish pivot question

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm a long time Naish Torch rider and borrowed by friends 2019 Naish Pivot 9m yesterday. The wind was strong 27moh with gusts of 38mph and I was getting some great boost and float.... but that Naish bar...grrr... The throw on the pivot ATB bar (60cm ish) is just stupid, I am 6:2ft (189cm) and was stretched out all session like superman (I know the bar can be adjusted and brought in a bit). Has anyone flown the pivot on a bar with much less bar throw (the torch is about 30cm) and how did it affect the kite ? I liked the boost but just found the stretched out positioning really bad. It seemed that if the depower throw was less I was unlikely to deal with the punchy gusts.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Re: naish pivot question

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Looking at the Ozone contact bar, this looks like it would be a good fit with the 9m ?

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 am

The throw on the Naish Atb bar is adjustable.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:11 am

I'm pretty sure i already posted this.

The north trust bar is the ticket on the pivot. 2 adjustable bar throws on the bar! one in the iron heart and the second in the adjustable slider. over extending your throw sucks as you know. Love the naish bar too, but when adjustablity is a must nothing beats the trust bar. :thumb:

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:25 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 pm
I'm a long time Naish Torch rider and borrowed by friends 2019 Naish Pivot 9m yesterday. The wind was strong 27moh with gusts of 38mph and I was getting some great boost and float.... but that Naish bar...grrr... The throw on the pivot ATB bar (60cm ish) is just stupid, I am 6:2ft (189cm) and was stretched out all session like superman (I know the bar can be adjusted and brought in a bit). Has anyone flown the pivot on a bar with much less bar throw (the torch is about 30cm) and how did it affect the kite ? I liked the boost but just found the stretched out positioning really bad. It seemed that if the depower throw was less I was unlikely to deal with the punchy gusts.
I use the Fone Linx bar on my Slash and Pivot. I only ride waves so I can't comment about jumping. I can feel that it doesn't depower completely during transitions but it doesn't affect my riding. It's just like riding with a stopper. A good thing is that you will definitely feel when you start to get overpowered which makes me use the trim more than I used to before.

I haven't measured the bar throw on the Linx bar but I'm pretty sure it's longer than 30 cm so 30 cm bar throw might be pushing it a bit on a Pivot. Can't you try your friends Pivot on the bar you use with your Torch?

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 am

The Naish bar is adjustable.
Maybe some of you don't know, but the cleat is designed to move in order to adjust the throw.
There's sufficient information around...
Getting to know the gear is a must I would say. ;)
Last edited by Ludmil on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 am

Craz Z wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:11 am
I'm pretty sure i already posted this.

The north trust bar is the ticket on the pivot. 2 adjustable bar throws on the bar! one in the iron heart and the second in the adjustable slider. over extending your throw sucks as you know. Love the naish bar too, but when adjustablity is a must nothing beats the trust bar. :thumb:
Its just a shame, that North/Duotone use shitty kitelines :evil:
https://www.wetestkites.com/2018/12/22/duotone-lines/

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:04 am

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 pm
The bar is very adjustable. It comes with a stopper also. To me if you need to ride it like that, you were either very overpowered or the front lines were stretched. The bar throw itself should not have anything to do with it.

Either way, how did you like the kite? I mean gusts that high would have you pretty lit :-)

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks for the replys. I was aware the Naish bar throw is adjustable. I think this partially answers the question:
I can feel that it doesn't depower completely during transitions but it doesn't affect my riding. It's just like riding with a stopper. A good thing is that you will definitely feel when you start to get overpowered which makes me use the trim more than I used to before
The 9m on the ground looks to be a big kite (definitely more canopy than a 9m torch) and I was trying to figure if it really needs all the throw, I suspect it does in the upper range. The 9m torch has way way more high end than the pivot.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:14 am

I think to cover a comparable wind range as the Torch you need to go at least a sqm down on the Pivot. I can imaging that the 9m Torch has more high end than the 9m Pivot, but I would think it also has a lot less low end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”