Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best hydrofoil board for beginner Volume or thinner?

Forum for kitesurfers
richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Best hydrofoil board for beginner Volume or thinner?

Postby richy-c » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Trying to decide on a board to learn with on a moses onda 633. I cant decide on a board with volume like slingy alien air or thin construction like a shinn jackson.
Anyone tried both types to compare ?

Thanks

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Best hydrofoil board for beginner Volume or thinner?

Postby NYKiter » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Smaller boards are harder to learn on...
But once your riding you will want a smaller one...

Heres what learning is like...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Axis MV 125, Double Agent etc

You don't need volume in a TT after all, and at first you'll just be getting up onto and riding the board on the surface. And you won't have the finesse to use a small kite that would leave you under powered on a TT so...

Volume is irrelevant.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Get a board about 135cm long. Low volume is easiest.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:26 pm

For water starts on the foil I think low-ish to medium volume is easier, specifically because a high volume board is hard to flip the board on its side and keep it there to get up and get going. But if you're learning anything where you touch the board down (gybes, tacks), you can go a bit slower without sinking with a high volume board.

For ultra light wind a high-vol board is easier to get going on, where you have to dive the kite several times to build up enough speed to get up on the foil. I've had a couple sessions where my friend (with skim-foil) couldn't get going because he'd keep sinking before he could get going fast enough, but I was doing ok with the alien air.

I learned on an alien air and like it in some scenarios but I would ideally like something with a bit less volume. Something that looks like the newer LF foil boards looks great to me.
These users thanked the author dylan* for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 am

dylan* wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:26 pm
For water starts on the foil I think low-ish to medium volume is easier, specifically because a high volume board is hard to flip the board on its side and keep it there to get up and get going. But if you're learning anything where you touch the board down (gybes, tacks), you can go a bit slower without sinking with a high volume board.

For ultra light wind a high-vol board is easier to get going on, where you have to dive the kite several times to build up enough speed to get up on the foil. I've had a couple sessions where my friend (with skim-foil) couldn't get going because he'd keep sinking before he could get going fast enough, but I was doing ok with the alien air.

I learned on an alien air and like it in some scenarios but I would ideally like something with a bit less volume. Something that looks like the newer LF foil boards looks great to me.
Thanks this makes sense but I hear the onda floats on its side easily so would this make a larger volume board like the alien easier to use?

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:24 am

richy-c wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:09 am
Thanks this makes sense but I hear the onda floats on its side easily so would this make a larger volume board like the alien easier to use?
If your foil floats, then a large volume board is easy to set on its side and waterstart.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:33 am

My experience was: smaller & lighter makes it easier to carry & maneuver the board in the water & most importantly, makes it easier to get on its side ready to water start. On the other hand, a little more flotation makes the board a bit more forgiving when you're riding it on the surface.

I would say an Alien Air is the maximum size you would want. Something a bit smaller, like the Dwarfcraft 54" is lighter & less bulky, so easier to water start, but a little less forgiving in touch-downs. Personally, I would go with the DW because it's not going to make an appreciable different from the AA in the initial learning process, but it will definitely be a more useful board to own once you've got past the first three or four sessions.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 am

TomW wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:29 pm
Get a board about 135cm long. Low volume is easiest.
1+

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

if you were to go with the shinn jackson, I board I owned very briefly as a beginner, there will be many occasions as a beginner where you will find yourself just able to get up on your feet on the board and struggling to move forward(lack of skill lack of wind)
the jackson or other very low volume boards will sink, and that is a bugger! you will either hit the bottom and damage stuff, or struggle along up to your knees in water then splash!
shallow water will make this problem even worse, and as you are in MarMenor I would say go volume.
go volume now and then in time you will know when your ready for lower volume,
the jackson is not only very low volume it is also very heavy, and the heavily turned up edges are a tipping nightmare for some.

Return to “Kitesurfing”