Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Join the cause - stop kite theft

Postby Mike101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 pm

No theft here either. I can only see this being relevant if the kite needs service in the future and the repair shops are expected to check these serials against a stolen list, then report it and then have the police actually do something about it. Far more effective to find the stolen shit for sale online and then go get it back.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Mike101 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 pm
No theft here either. I can only see this being relevant if the kite needs service in the future and the repair shops are expected to check these serials against a stolen list, then report it and then have the police actually do something about it. Far more effective to find the stolen shit for sale online and then go get it back.
I'm pretty sure repair shops have no idea if a kite is stolen and police will not bother investigating used $500 worth kite.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:33 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Where in US gear theft is a problem?
Got my kite stolen from Coney Island, NY.
Left 17 Zephyr inflated on the beach (with bar, attached to a pole) as I jumped to a smaller kite.
Did not think it would be an issue as I was doing tacks next to it in side shore wind.
The wind became a bit funky, I dropped the kite and could not relaunch right away.. Not a big deal 80 meters from the beach, but someone decided to call coast guard, and they force rescued me as I was about 30 meters in. They insisted that I get on board and get medical checkup on a pier 2 miles away.
To make long story short, when I got back, the zephyr and 2 kite bags with keys were gone.

Another story, witnessed in Brooklyn, NY: a guy leaves a kite packed on the beach to go help with setup of another kite or teach his GF (dont' remember)
The bag is gone in 20 minutes.
They were lucky that the bag had an iPad in the side pocket. They activated "locate me" service, got to the thieves (2 Hispanic guys were still sitting in a car on a parking lot) and got their stuff back.

so shit happens.. not everyone is nice, unfortunately..

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:43 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm

no Toby, not here. Where I ride people leave cars open and gear on the beach for hours, unattended.
Boards get returned to owners by random people.
Maybe not anymore after this post? Best not to post your LAT LON.
Where in US gear theft is a problem?
Miami

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Well if someone that are good at frontend I would be willing to put some time into making a backend for "a register your kite system". I have thought about this already and think it might be worth while. Maybe.

marioparacuru
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 60
Local Beach: Northeast, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Best wave spots in Ceará
Cape town
French Polynesia
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: More than 10 kites from different brands

Postby marioparacuru » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Online register would also help people who lost or forgot their gear on the beach. There was some situations, like:

One year ago a friend had to release (brand new slingshot) and the leash broke in that moment. There was a few kiters on the beach and nobody catch his kite. His kite just disappeared in the ocean but I'm sure that somewhere or even in the next town in the coast somebody found it and couldn't return.

Two weeks ago a kite of a friend fall from the buggy. We immediately come to check the way back but some cars were passing by. He just lost his new kite (sling again).

Last season again. One guy leave his very used North kite on the beach and take a newer one same model same color.

Similar happened to me. I forgot my harness and kite center took it for me. Another guy forgot his harness on the beach and come to the kite center, saw my hasness and said it was his harness. 🤨 I had to look everywhere in the town for this guy to take my harness back, almost got into a fight. He knew it wasn't his hasness but since he lost his gear he wanted to take mine.

I forgot my bar on the beach few months ago. Gone 😅

Just some examples here but essencially kite online registration would be enough for most of situations.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:13 pm

Actually I have received a link of a kite register app, developed in Brasil, in one of my whatsapp groups. I will check it later and post here.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:20 am

there you go. they should do it in english as well :thumb:

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 am

Toby wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:20 am
there you go. they should do it in english as well :thumb:
Definetely! Maybe if attract international interest, they would do?

Return to “Kitesurfing”