Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone 2020 bar with new lines?

Postby Exal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Sun wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm
I snapped a click bar line in Cape Town during a jump. No issues falling back to the water luckily, but the self rescue back was less fun. The bar was used but not abused. Snapped at a larks head in the middle of the front power line. On the same trip, had another guy I was riding with snap one of his lines on the Click bar too.

The dealer in CPT hinted at new lines coming, so this Instagram post seems legit.

About damn time. All I want to make the Click bar perfect is the Ozone Click In loop and to replace those shitty, terrible, atrocious lines.
:o Glad you are ok! If that would've happend to me, I'd probably switch brand or start windsurfing :D If you have tips on how you did the self rescue, I'm all ears.

cor wrote: The problem though is not the clickbar or the lower lines but the flying lines. It's also a problem on the Trust Bar. After 2 years, these lines show much more wear than other lines/bars. I am done with Duotone/North lines. I am replacing mine now with lines from Liros.
jespin4845 wrote: I snapped a click bar after 10 months of use, shit lines
Are we talking 2 years/10 months of holiday/long weekend kiting or 3-4 times a week?
POACHER wrote: I would welcome the improvement.

My friend and I got 2017 Click Bars pretty early on. I had nothing but issues with mine and his were fine. Mine stretched really bad, needed constant tuning, and frayed to the point of being unsafe to use. (very similar use as my friend too) Love the bar, hated the stock lines.

I did remove those lines, sent the bar to Kiteboarding.com and had them redo the bar with Q-Power Pro 22m w/ extensions. Now this bar is incredible. There's really a tangible improvement. Not cheap, but I'm not second guessing my lines on a kite loop now either. These should last awhile.

I did just buy a new 2017 Click bar as a backup bar, off of Ikitesurf a couple weeks back. I have a new 2018 line kit to put on it, but I'll try the stock 2017 lines and see if these are good or bad. It's entirely possible there was a production run of these that maybe had suspect lines go out.
Those are ozone lines, right? I messaged two guys for a quote on changing the lines on our 2 clickbars but now I'm considering selling the bars and preordering the new ones, which I wouldn't do normally to save money. In this case it wouldn't make much a difference money wise if the new lines are good!
Even though our bars are only 5 months old, I'd rather invest a bit extra to not have a nightmare trip.
Faxie wrote:That would be 50,- extra...
My gut feeling was something around 8 to 10%, would match your guess aswell. The shops I asked about the lines always told me the same answer: changing the lines would only increase cost significantly (!) and that the lines are fine.

Here is a clip from Lasse, he is already on the new dice prototype with probably one of the new bar/line combo. At least that is my guess, it doesn't say so on his upload! https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4B_oSHifa/

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 am

At Exal don't expect much from Lasse he was a big promotor of the North/Duotone lines always claiming there was nothing wrong with them anyway

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

Exal wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 pm
Are we talking 2 years/10 months of holiday/long weekend kiting or 3-4 times a week?
In my case we are talking about 2 years long weekend and holiday kiting. I am not even using the bar excessively which makes it even worse.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Exal wrote:
POACHER wrote: I would welcome the improvement.

My friend and I got 2017 Click Bars pretty early on. I had nothing but issues with mine and his were fine. Mine stretched really bad, needed constant tuning, and frayed to the point of being unsafe to use. (very similar use as my friend too) Love the bar, hated the stock lines.

I did remove those lines, sent the bar to Kiteboarding.com and had them redo the bar with Q-Power Pro 22m w/ extensions. Now this bar is incredible. There's really a tangible improvement. Not cheap, but I'm not second guessing my lines on a kite loop now either. These should last awhile.

I did just buy a new 2017 Click bar as a backup bar, off of Ikitesurf a couple weeks back. I have a new 2018 line kit to put on it, but I'll try the stock 2017 lines and see if these are good or bad. It's entirely possible there was a production run of these that maybe had suspect lines go out.
Those are ozone lines, right? I messaged two guys for a quote on changing the lines on our 2 clickbars but now I'm considering selling the bars and preordering the new ones, which I wouldn't do normally to save money. In this case it wouldn't make much a difference money wise if the new lines are good!
Even though our bars are only 5 months old, I'd rather invest a bit extra to not have a nightmare trip.

I'm not sure who makes the Q-power lines really....I've never heard Ozone associated with them, but maybe.
Someone had commented on here awhile ago that they were engineered specifically to be kitesurf lines. So far I can comment on them positively. That would be something if Duotone sourced them as the stock lines for 2020 Click Bars. I don't envision that as I'm sure it's cost prohibitive. Fingers crossed.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

POACHER wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm
I'm not sure who makes the Q-power lines really....I've never heard Ozone associated with them, but maybe.

Someone had commented on here awhile ago that they were engineered specifically to be kitesurf lines. So far I can comment on them positively. That would be something if Duotone sourced them as the stock lines for 2020 Click Bars. I don't envision that as I'm sure it's cost prohibitive. Fingers crossed.
My Ozone lines are SK99 and they don't seem to fray, stretch, or shrink. They aren't "prohibitively" expensive either. Don't see the problem.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Yeah I can't see Duotone putting Q power lines on as standard equipment. (would be cool!)

I don't care what lines they put on moving forward as long as they are better than their current offering. Paying the premium for a Click or Trust bar only to have it tarnished by suspect quality lines is something that should have been addressed after the 2017 bars.

Force Kite and Wake (US) has a good price on 2018 North Click bars. Since the bars are pretty much the exact same (other than color) as the 2019 and 2020 Duotone bars I'd pull the stock lines for spares or hock them online and reload the bar with whatever lines you prefer.
Win/win.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
cor (Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 pm

In my case, 10 months as my main bar for on average of 4x a week in strapless riding. A handful of times on the twin tip, maybe 5....broke when my neo was falling out of the sky after a failed strapless jump and drifted backward...once wind caught it one of the center lines snapped just above the splitter.

I did kiteloop with it a couple of times on twin tip days and would be cautious to kiteloop on a north bar now.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Exal wrote:
Sun wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm
I snapped a click bar line in Cape Town during a jump. No issues falling back to the water luckily, but the self rescue back was less fun. The bar was used but not abused. Snapped at a larks head in the middle of the front power line. On the same trip, had another guy I was riding with snap one of his lines on the Click bar too.

The dealer in CPT hinted at new lines coming, so this Instagram post seems legit.

About damn time. All I want to make the Click bar perfect is the Ozone Click In loop and to replace those shitty, terrible, atrocious lines.
:o Glad you are ok! If that would've happend to me, I'd probably switch brand or start windsurfing :D If you have tips on how you did the self rescue, I'm all ears.
Nothing special. When the front line snapped the kite looped lazily a few times and flopped down onto the water. Nice thing about Cape Town is that there is always someone nearby to help. Friendly passerby confirmed he saw my line snap, and offered to catch the kite if it came loose when I triggered my safety. That was my biggest worry at the time, not knowing which line snapped. In the end it was not the safety line.
He took my board to shore, and I rolled up the lines on the bar as neatly as I could (But not neatly enough) until I got to the kite. Standard self rescue from there, wind was side shore so body dragging back was not bad. Got a little tangled with my lines in the surf, but nothing serious.

If I did it again, I would spend more time CAREFULLY rolling up the lines. At the time I had sharks on the mind, but the loose lines in the surf could cause a much more likely drowning.

As for snapping a safety and being afraid to release and lose the kite, I have not thought that through yet. Maybe reeling the kite in on a steering line is best, since those rarely tend to snap.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
Exal (Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 pm
In my case, 10 months as my main bar for on average of 4x a week in strapless riding. A handful of times on the twin tip, maybe 5....broke when my neo was falling out of the sky after a failed strapless jump and drifted backward...once wind caught it one of the center lines snapped just above the splitter.

I did kiteloop with it a couple of times on twin tip days and would be cautious to kiteloop on a north bar now.
Jespin, where excactly did it snap, was it the “clean line” or sheethed part?

Megalooper
Rare Poster
Gear: North dice 2015
Been thanked: 0

Postby Megalooper » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 am

cor wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm
The problem though is not the clickbar or the lower lines but the flying lines. It's also a problem on the Trust Bar. After 2 years, these lines show much more wear than other lines/bars. I am done with Duotone/North lines. I am replacing mine now with lines from Liros.
That's the point. My middle flying line (one of those above the split) snapped 3 months ago after only 1 season(kiting 3-4 times a week though).
Also replaced them with liros lines, although was hard to find "plug and play" replacement set as I don't trust myself in terms of manual activities like measuring lines.

I ordered from " kiteboardinglines.com ", fits perfectly and top quality, the lines seems to be exactly the same as in my flysurfer bar. And looks like they have replacements for all north bars, I ordered for my 2018 trust bar 19m and 2 sets of extensions 3m and 2m :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”