Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Kiting into trouble on an otherwise excellent day in the Bahamas

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Here is a intense story about an epic kiting session in distant part of paradise suddenly dropping into a far less fun and seriously dangerous place. It is related by Sergio Bacic's Beach Ambassador for Adventure Sports Ft. Lauderdale. He is a very experienced waterman with lots of time in the Bahamas. Even experienced guys can still learn important lessons when things go south as a number of us know all too well. So, read over this intriguing tale set in the amazing blue waters of the Bahamian Out Islands and don't forget to ask yourself "what if ..."
https://blog.adventuresportsusa.com/for ... MCbDasSlro
Attachments
0DFBEC15-72B1-4616-AAFD-9BA16B64F0A9.jpeg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kiting into trouble on an otherwise excellent day in the Bahamas

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Glad they made !

Being alone this can go really a bad way.

And good suggestions for sure.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Seems to me that it boils down to never kite any further than you are willing to swim, factoring the current, waves, wind and temperature. That, and ditch your gear and start swimming (paddling if you have a surfboard) as soon as things go wrong... don't delay! Especially don't hold on on a kite in waves with no wind.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 pm

sarc wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:49 pm
Seems to me that it boils down to never kite any further than you are willing to swim, factoring the current, waves, wind and temperature. That, and ditch your gear and start swimming (paddling if you have a surfboard) as soon as things go wrong... don't delay! Especially don't hold on on a kite in waves with no wind.
It's never that simple.. there are many more factors to consider and the ones that you mentioned are also tricky.
Like in where I live tidal currents keep changing all the time, and if you were to assume the worst, you'd be sitting on the beach most of the time. Ditching your gear... really depends... if it's a washing machine or no chance of rescue operation - take that swim..
But if you know that someone will be searching or if there is boat traffic - better stay with inflated kite.. Without a kite you are just a dot, invisible at 300-400 meters...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 am

Personally I can't believe how rarely things like that, seemingly, go bad.

Based on my impression most kiters are blissfully ignorant to most risks.

I agree with the conclusion. Asking yourself "what if" is quite useful. I am always mentally prepared to lose my kite, I'm quite aware of my energy level, I'm a lot more conservative in my riding if there is no rescue boat and/or few other kiters out etc.

I agree with deniska that all potential uncomfortable situations can't be avoided, I have had my fair share, but hopefully it means I'll never have that one fatal one.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm working with some people on a project in search and rescue domain in Europe, South Africa and Australia. They are global experts.
They told me today that kitesurfers are major source of S&R incidents, and growing fast. In The Netherlands kitesurfers are the most common S&R incident. Also S&R for kite incidents are the most expensive and dangerous for S&R people.
Even so, S&R authorities are not complaining, they are working to solve the problems, making investments working to create solutions for saving people.
Support your regional S&R authorities!

Return to “Kitesurfing”