Forum for snow- and landkiters
slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool
Brand Affiliation: None

climate change / unpredictable weather/wind

Postby slide » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:28 pm

is climate change going to affect the wind and have a diverse effect on kiting , in more unstable and more gusty winds in the future - I've seen more storms this summer , and deffinately higher tides than when I started in 2003,and the dunes at Brancaster Norfolk uk have been getting breached more and slowly going further back
Last edited by slide on Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: climate change /unpredictable weather

Postby downunder » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:19 pm

Yep,

I am with you on this. Moved to AU 18 years ago, from the EU.
Every time I go back is a huge shock for me. June/July/August realy unpredictable weather, with so much rain even fog. Electrical storms are now quite usual.
I do not remember this kind od weather when was living there. Everything so green as well, an explosion of greenery. Not to mention weeds and allergies. Also, quite interesting, wild animals in close city proximity, which was never ever seen before. Guessing coz of so much greenery.

So yes, in the EU, weather definitely is changing. Not for better.

D.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
slide (Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm

I heard that hot spots like Tarifa and Cumbuco had more wind in the past.

Cumbuco (Brazil) could be because more and more houses/streets etc gets build...and the natural system with bigger sand dunes that heat up and create stronger winds is vanishing. Smaller and less dunes.

Maybe the long time windsurfers can comment on it...they know winds from many years ago...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 pm

This past summer was terrible on the Oregon coast, though the Midwest (US) was epic for most of the summer. However, if it is a cycle, it seems to be starting over at '07/'08 again. The years that followed were epic for snow, wind, and all around perfect conditions for land and water kiting (where I kite). Lets hope it swings back around, at least for most of us.

If not, then maybe we will get to kite some spots that used to not have wind or snow in the previous climate pattern.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 am

The weather and wind patterns are definitely changing. I remember in Belgium we used to get plenty of strong West winds/storms during the season with nice waves, but these are becoming rarer and rarer. Instead, we seem to get a lot more southerly winds, which are weaker and off shore. There is a graph from windfarms in Holland that show a declining line of over the past 15 years or so, so it's definitely happening.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 am

Difficult to say if you ask me. 50 years ago people would say that the weather varies. That is it. Now we call it climate change - is it any different?

Kite spots are also very specific. Usually a small small areas which requires quite specific conditions (the right kind of wind both in terms of strength and direction). Drastic changes in local weather conditions around the world has always happened - even before humans.

This is not a speech for denying climate change, but got to be careful here creating a "story" (causality) that just randomly seems to fit the concept of "climate change".
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
jyka (Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am

Don't trust your memory, it is proven to be very inaccurate, even on the short term.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Yes the weather is unpredictable it all ways has been. There are just too many factors that go into forecasting. Throw in the politics fo climate change and it gets worse.

Toby you should just lock this thread now. It is only going to turn into a shouting match between a few people over CC. Honestly we might even be getting trolled here.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 pm

jimi hendrix 1969 " the power of love needs to overcome the love of power "
Last edited by slide on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:38 pm

slide wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 pm
well I am open minded but the proof is there that we are warming still , the oceans , the upper atmosphere and warmer temps give strength to weather patterns and storms, and I recently saw a report on the artic , it was raining and the rain was warmer than the ice and melting it quicker than normal , the jet stream is a good indicator and not as stable with the warmer temps - many scientist's report's in 2018 gave a very damming reports of what to expect in the future,and say we need to be aggressive if we are to make a difference to our kids and our grandchildren's future's but its not happening and I find it hard to believe that some still can't see it

the debate is over we now can see it happening in front of our own eyes , you can ignore it if you want but the warming is continuing and water levels will carry on rising . warmer waters make hurricanes and storms stronger and create more violent weather patterns , fact
surely you can see the massive increase in wild fires as lands dry out to the extreme, and then it rains so hard and you get 2 months of rain in 2 days , its a case of one extreme to the other extreme , and the wild life don't deal well with these extremes of weather at all well , coral reefs are almost gone ,and the warmer sea temps create a lot of confusion for sea life

trolling , you have lost me , I point out and describe what many scientist's have evidence for , this is the truth and a huge amount of proof exists - who is trolling and please explain where you see it , as I see this as a very serious problem for our kids if we carry on this path, and I did think this topic would create some great conversation
Things are changing, and always have been. The cause is absolutely natural. The additional "anthropocentric" change is what is debated. The range of debate goes from religious denial with virtually no evidence to religious belief with demonstrably zero success in past predictions.

I would not necessarily suggest to close the thread. Keeping it open may serve to keep those on the extremes occupied typing instead of doing something else.

Return to “Snow / Land”