Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Groove Skate foilboard, durability and build quality

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Goove Skate foilboard, durability and build quality

Postby Foil » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:02 am

Look at page 1 of this thread,
Nice and flat.
the grip is just grippy enough so you can slide your feet around without sticking or wearing the excellent hard wearing pad, which looks good as well.

it may be just a personal thing but I did not like a concave deck when I bought one early last year on the Shinn foil board, the raised sides made me push down on the edges when i was stumbling around and rocked the board from side to side far to easily.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm

And what's 15kg cm2??? 75kg cm2?? Foam density is commonly measured in kg/m3.....

They must mean 15kg m3 and 75kg m3.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm
And what's 15kg cm2??? 75kg cm2?? Foam density is commonly measured in kg/m3.....

They must mean 15kg m3 and 75kg m3.
more proof that a proof reader is needed :wink:

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 pm

They could just post the copy here and we'd correct it for them.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:50 am

TomW wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 pm
They could just post the copy here and we'd correct it for them.
proof reader for all international companies :o
job for life :rollgrin:

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 am

Thought I would add something here. I have the standard 120cm Groove Skate that I ride almost exclusively in shallow water (obx) with the 633/483/71 cm. Both the board and wing handle plenty of those unplanned abrupt groundings at speed without the slightest show for wear and tear (of course it’s a soft sandy bottom, but that is still a lot of quick loading on the board/wing). The other thing I really like on this board are the front V straps (don’t use a rear strap). Works perfectly and not the slightest hint of wear and tear.

My only durability concern for all these twin track foil boards is the stress of the metal (brass or stainless) T-nut connections against the composite/plastic tracks. I always set the plate at the same spot and it will inevitably wear the track down at that location. If nothing else longer T-nuts would help spread the load over more track. The Groove supplied T-nuts aren’t bad but I’d like them even bigger. Last wish, move the tracks back another 2cm. I still mount the 633 way back on this board and the front V-straps way forward. My feeble 2c.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am

Dave K wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 am
Last wish, move the tracks back another 2cm. I still mount the 633 way back on this board and the front V-straps way forward. My feeble 2c.
Good point on the track position, I am alright with mine as I weigh 90kg, and my 633 sits 2 cm from the rearmost end of the track,
however a sailing buddy who bought my new 130 Skate off me last week is much lighter than me, and he found that my setting was no good for him as the lift was too much, so he ended up moving the mast back to the end and also moving the foot straps forward to get the right balance, he sails with both feet in the straps as he jumps a bit and uses full on race kites, he came off the Moses T60 and cant stop raving about his new board,
He went for my 130 Skate as it has a fair bit more volume than the most popular size of 120 Skate, the 120 is 3cm thick, the 130 is 5cm thick, his reason for going for this thicker board is the fact that sometimes he has to pack down for a swim in and the foil kite even when packed down is still heavy with water so he needs a bit of board volume to keep afloat for his swim in.
another sailing buddy who is 25kg heavier than me bought my old 120 Groove Skate from me last year and had to ignore my mast position marking as he needed more lift,
so he sails his 633 wing mounted 3 cm forward of where I set mine.
It just goes to show you that having a track in the board for the mast is sort of very important to a lot of foil surfers.

After owning 3 of these skates now ( I currently own the 120 full carbon black Naked with gold stripes) I would recommend anyone thinking of a Skate purchase who sails at beaches without the luxury of a soft sandy shoreline or use a rigging area that can scratch, to think of choosing the full carbon naked version of the Skate, the painted versions do scratch up on the edges quite badly, easy to repair with paint spray, but looks a bit naff very quickly if like me you like to keep your kit looking good, some try tape on the edges but this goes tatty very very quickly as well.
the full carbon will scratch up as well but is way more resistant, and a bit of black T cut easily sorts it.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am
Dave K wrote:
Last wish, move the tracks back another 2cm. I still mount the 633 way back on this board and the front V-straps way forward. My feeble 2c.
Good point on the track position, I am alright with mine as I weigh 90kg, and my 633 sits 2 cm from the rearmost end of the track,
however a sailing buddy who bought my new 130 Skate off me last week is much lighter than me, and he found that my setting was no good for him as the lift was too much, so he ended up moving the mast back to the end and also moving the foot straps forward to get the right balance, he sails with both feet in the straps as he jumps a bit and uses full on race kites, he came off the Moses T60 and cant stop raving about his new board,
He went for my 130 Skate as it has a fair bit more volume than the most popular size of 120 Skate, the 120 is 3cm thick, the 130 is 5cm thick, his reason for going for this thicker board is the fact that sometimes he has to pack down for a swim in and the foil kite even when packed down is still heavy with water so he needs a bit of board volume to keep afloat for his swim in.
another sailing buddy who is 25kg heavier than me bought my old 120 Groove Skate from me last year and had to ignore my mast position marking as he needed more lift,
It just goes to show you that having a track in the board for the mast is sort of very important to a lot of foil surfers.

After owning 3 of these skates now ( I currently own the 120 full carbon black Naked with gold stripes) I would recommend anyone thinking of a Skate purchase who sails at beaches without the luxury of a soft sandy shoreline or use a rigging area that can scratch, to think of choosing the full carbon naked version of the Skate, the painted versions do scratch up on the edges quite badly, easy to repair with paint spray, but looks a bit naff very quickly if like me you like to keep your kit looking good, some try tape on the edges but this goes tatty very very quickly as well.
the full carbon will scratch up as well but is way more resistant, and a bit of black T cut easily sorts it.
This is a more general comment about the positioning of the 633 and really all foils. It comes up often and people talk about moving the mast back due to the large amount of lift the wing produces. I submit that neither the amount of lift of the foil nor the weight of the rider should have anything to do with it. The correct position for ANY foil is for the rider's center of gravity to be directly over the center of lift of the foil. So it only depends on the rider's stance and its relation to the center of lift of the foil. Maybe the 633 has a longer fuse and/or its center of lift is a bit more forward due to front wing size or shape?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 pm

Just put in a order for a full carbon 110 but painted with their White with black brush design. I’m concerned with having a black board and internal temps out in the sun and I really like the white and black look. I hope the design helps cover some scratches but I plan on putting some protection on as well with tape or plastidip.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 am

Foil wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am
Dave K wrote:
Agreed that tracks are great for allowing a range of center-of-lift positions depending on rider and wing. Still, in my humble opinion, tracks always seem to be biased too far forward for these larger wings. Never heard of anyone complaining about lack of mounting options beyond the forward track limits, even on the old 600 sq cm wings of yore! Of course adding some additional front strap mount options helps as well

Return to “Hydrofoil”