Forum for kitesurfers
richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Duration for Screws in Aluminium mast?

Postby richy-c » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:00 pm

If used with white grease how long is it advisable to leave stainless bolts in Ali mast before removing?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration for Screws in Aluminium mast?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:11 pm

I would say 1 year in fresh water, but no longer than 1 month in salt water if you were generous with the grease.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
richy-c (Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 pm

Use Tef-Gel for anti corrosion and anti seize, that stuff is da bomb!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Two weeks tops, in normal salt water, to avoid getting stuck, even if soiled in tefgel or similar.

8) Peter

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:19 am

My maintenance interval is half a year, and I ride in salt water. First, if you generously cover threads with gel (or any other grease, for that matter), then there is simply no way for the water to infiltrate the threads. For extra protection, you can seal the top of the threads with pipe thread sealant/cement -- just make sure it doesn't go too deep. (Otherwise, when solidified excessive thread sealant would require some torque to unscrew the screw).

I have experienced screw seizure (well, almost) the very first time, when I thought that spray foam would be a good water repellent. Still, splashed some hot water over the mast (I didn't have heat gun at the time), and with some effort the stuck screw did come out. Using grease and thread sealant ever since, and no problem whatsoever.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:
jaros (Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 pm

But the lowest common denominator must be the answer, right?

Some can avoid screws getting stuck for a long time yes, but if anyone having used tefgel and similar, experience they get stuck (I did, 3 weeks, but was lucky to get them free with special tools), it must be the answer if you want to be "safe".

Somewhat like mildew - some never experience this even with wet kites, others get brown kites after just ONE single night when the kite is left wet overnight :o

I dont know if anyone rinse their gear after riding, I dont (and wont, when riding +200 sessions a year)

So disassembling now and then and more tefgel is the key IMO.

8) Peter

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 am

If you generously apply Tefgel, you can leave if assembled for months, if not years.
That's my experience. I've only taken the wings off the fuselage 2 or 3 times in over two years.
Each time I did, I reapplied a thick layer of tefgel. Never had a problem, and just verified that I still don't :)
As for the fuselage to the mast, I have to disassemble anyway to fit it in the car, so I take it off after every session.
I did have some tefgel on these bolts too, but I found that by repeatedly screwing the bolts in and removing them, the tefgel soon came off anyway, so in the end I stopped bothering.
So you kind of got to go one way or the other.
I got an Zeeko mast, it came factory fitted with the base plate bolted to the fuselage with tefgel coated stainless bolts, with the recommendation never to disassemble it.
So they must have have had some confidence that it wouldn't be a problem.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 am

Personal experience is that fresh water environments make it pretty feasible to own an aluminum set up. Heading into my fourth year with the same frame and I disassemble for winter and give it a good coating of tef gel in the spring. The first year I was all over taking it apart every couple of weeks. The second year mmmm maybe every couple of months. Last year, I took it apart completely once mid season, and I'll likely do the same once this next summer. I take my fuse off the mast and the mast off the board every session, but the wings stay on the fuse, and the plate stays on the mast. Have had no corrosion at all so far.

Im sure it would be different in a salt water environment.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:12 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 am
Heading into my fourth year with the same frame and I disassemble for winter and give it a good coating of tef gel in the spring.
Jumpy and I may agree on something!!!!!!!!

Yumpy....... Yup

J is pronounced by Y in some lanugages.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:20 am

this is interesting discussion as this is definitely one factor considering carbon vs aluminium ...for example i'm considering NP Glide surf foil vs Moses Onda and the price difference $1000, weight 1kg? ...so if Alu only disassemble every 2 months perhaps Alu…
for me foils are pain as it is do not want to add another level of maintenance item...life is short :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”