Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moto, Evo or Pivot ?

Forum for kitesurfers
rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Moto, Evo or Pivot ?

Postby rleshem » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:38 am

Upgrading switchblade to one of the above. 70 twintip 30 strapless. Like to jump, do rolls etc. no unhooking.
Need light bar pressure for elbow. Generally Kite in 20-25 knots and some gusty conditions.

Any trade offs between them or are they fairly similar ?
Is the deflate inflate on the Naish a pain with strut deflators ?

I’ll try to demo them back to back but any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
These users thanked the author rleshem for the post (total 3):
THOR_NADO (Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:51 am) • Craz Z (Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:06 pm) • antonioc6 (Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moto, Evo or Pivot ?

Postby runner1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm

No comment on the flying, but the inflate/deflate on the Pivot will be better than the others. The only disadvantage of the octopus is repairs (albiet a hugely overstated issue).
These users thanked the author runner1 for the post:
Craz Z (Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm

I have not flown the Moto, but I know a guy who has flown all three in Cape Town. He is 100% TT and loves to jump. In the end he chose the Evo, but admitted that he liked the Pivot as much if not more, but preferred the Click bar.

Per this comparison test, the bar pressure on all is similar, with the Moto and Pivot tied and the Evo a touch lighter. Evo is not the lightest in the whole comparison, mind you. Looks like CF Sculp or Ten Pinna take that award, for kites that can do surf.

https://issuu.com/thekitemag/docs/tkm_u ... omplete_20

With how close these kites are to each other, I say go with whichever you can get cheapest. Likely to be Pivot, especially if buying new gear from last season!

Are you upgrading from older Switchblades?
These users thanked the author Sun for the post (total 2):
Craz Z (Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm) • antonioc6 (Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:50 pm

runner1 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:52 pm
No comment on the flying, but the inflate/deflate on the Pivot will be better than the others. The only disadvantage of the octopus is repairs (albiet a hugely overstated issue).
Octopus system is super easy especially if you have a pivot from the last 4 years. One of the easiest kites out there to repair. single biggest issue, is to remember your teflon wrap and push as hard as you can to fully seat it. then your done no zip ties or rotten hoses, taking covers off to expose actual hose etc. (funny that one or 2 bad years so i've heard lives on forever on the difficulty of working with the octopus) Supposedly on a few early gens the zipper was to small and you had to have squirrel hands to repair. this is long gone but the legend of the scary octopus lives on! :D

On the inflate deflate you simply unroll the kite locate each strut put in the cap lock each individually then screw in your boston valve and pump away. to deflate, undo each strut first taking pressure off the boston valve then unscrew the boston valve and pack it up.

ON ALL boston valve kites (almost all new kites) pay very close attention to the conditions you roll in, sand and stones have a much larger opening then previously and will tear up a bladder once they get in and start bouncing around.

Love my pivots and also ride on a north bar, they do have lighter bar pressure and wait for inputs even in high gusts its the do everything kite.
These users thanked the author Craz Z for the post:
POACHER (Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:00 pm)

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I have not been on a Pivot but it has gotten some high praise from very credible people, a couple that I know personally and many more that I don't but have great reputations for integrity. Not saying it's the best kite but saying it must be very solid and in the group of best all around with some wave capabilities throw in.
I definitely want to demo. Just my observations.

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non

Postby THOR_NADO » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:41 am

How does the Pivot work in waves? I have understood that it is not a good drifter?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 am

I can say the evo on the lightest setting has been very kind to my elbows.

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha

Postby caduo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:43 am

never tried the pivor,but spent a lot of time with the moto and the evo,moto will feel better with the surfboard and evo jumps higher with a better hangtime,depends also of what kind of general feel you are looking,so a demo will be the best choice,i ended up with the moto
These users thanked the author caduo for the post:
antonioc6 (Wed May 01, 2019 11:38 pm)

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks ! Which was lighter on the bar pressure ?
Was the jumping difference significant ? Which felt smoother in gusty conditions ?

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 pm

I am thinking of trying the pivots as people seem stoked on them. Anybody else tried pivots and moto?

Return to “Kitesurfing”