Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: XR6 Release

Postby deniska » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 am

k2thiago wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:22 am
I would expect some real changes on the XR6. I mean, I ride Xr5 but had the opportunity to fly the xr4 and xr5 on the same day, same wind conditions and same size, it does feel different,, there is more lifting and hangtime on xr5 and the construction is more refined on the later version.
Definetely Core need to improve the Sensor bar... floaters, eva grip, bar end, winding elastics, velcro keeper for the depower... are not compatible with the 699,00 price tag of the pro version. The lines are top notch, as also the carbon/titanium core, the rotor qr and the self untwist mechanism are just ok, very often I still need to untwist manually the front lines after more than one loop/spin. I'm not a big fan of the "SSF" system as the kite doesn't flag out completely, and keeps flying upside down quite high until you manage to invert the kite, what could be dodgy in strong winds.
Core make high quality equipment for sure, but there is room for important improvements and I hope the go for it in this next generation.
I honestly cannot notice much of a difference between XR4 and 5, and I think it's a good thing. I hope XR6 will just remain the same with some small color change and never ending shortening of the bridles.. Would be good if they took cues from ozone and removed pulleys but I have a feeling it's not going to happen. Sure they could add lifting and hangtime, but it will be a different kite (Apollo?).. it will be slower with worse low-end, etc.. Once you change something you are bound to upset some customers..
That said, the bar is an absolute mess, in need of major redesign:
-it has twice as many parts as next competitor (except maybe Duo/North)
-rusty metal parts on the rotator (really??)
- safety jams way too easy (sand, cold.. see other threads)
- impossible to reset with one hand in powered conditions
- can't control Y split point, so incompatible with many kites
- no way to examine the wear of skinny center lines under the PU coating and they are too skinny to last.
- in general the design is not sand friendly and many parts wear off way too fast because of it

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:17 am

Make the Xr6 just like the Xr4 but 5 % bigger in the sizes to give them the same power as the Xr5, it will then kill the Xr5 in the same sizes for sure.
Because higher AR and lower camber on the Xr4 it has a faster flight speed through the wind window that pulls harder on the takeoff, it is way more fun when kiting in anything less than wery strong wind. The same goes for faster kiting speeds and better uppwind drive to, that gives space for more jumping and playing in the waves.
To me the Xr5 flyes like the Xr3 realy nice but slightly boring compaired to the Xr4. The only downside is a little slower turning speed on the Xr4, but it turns fast enough anyway.
I love my Xr4's :D
Last edited by Guttorm on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

57palawandan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spi texas
Favorite Beaches: Boracay Philippine, Araceli Palawan,
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer boost, slightshot rally, liquid force solo

Postby 57palawandan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 am

I had xr4s 8&12m, put over 100 hours on each kite in 5 months time kiting almost daily at spi Texas.
I thought at the time the cores we're the best flying kites out there, I flown many brands so I had a good comparison.
The thing I really didn't like was the bar , it has major problems that I discussed with some of the top core people, they were nice enough to send me enough parts to completely rebuild my bar which was the pro bar, but that didn't solve the problems with the flagging.
The flag system will not completely drop the kite especially powered up and is dangerous in rough water.
I was tired of this bar and used a slingshot bar on it, yes it reduced the power but finally the kite was safer to fly
I hope the new version addresses this issue.
I used to fly fone bandits and had the same issue with their bar .... Now they have a low v single line flag bar.
They saw the light.... Will core?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 am

I believe low V is only on the F One Breeze, not Bandit. Interesting to hear about Core bar, not good.

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:55 am

I also believe you can tell a lot about a brand by looking closely at the design of the bar and build quality of their bar. For example,
Slingshot's bar is solid, durable and heavy, not unlike many of their kites.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:43 am

alford wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:55 am
I also believe you can tell a lot about a brand by looking closely at the design of the bar and build quality of their bar. For example,
Slingshot's bar is solid, durable and heavy, not unlike many of their kites.
I had the same impression when i got a slingshot bar in my hands, i think it was a 2017 model, it really felt indestructible!
So seems that I am not the only concerned about the SSF? Hello CORE...

I am keen to try a different bar with a v spliter adjuster... some new bars are coming with a Y/V height adjuster now, like the Duotone click bar, Haarlem (both the IPS and the traditional model)...
Are you using the slingshot bar with the low V? How much it changed the flying characteristics of the XR?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Get any bar and buy a Duotone v distributer and put it where necessary to split the Y

My wife uses a slingshot bar with the distributer for her Neo’s, with the talon chicken loop cause of her short arms. Works great.
These users thanked the author jespin4845 for the post:
iriejohn (Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 pm

That's a great suggestion jespin

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 pm

jespin4845 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm
Get any bar and buy a Duotone v distributer and put it where necessary to split the Y

My wife uses a slingshot bar with the distributer for her Neo’s, with the talon chicken loop cause of her short arms. Works great.
But just remember to adjust the centre line lengths because changing the V position will effectively change their lengths.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am

iriejohn wrote:
jespin4845 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm

But just remember to adjust the centre line lengths because changing the V position will effectively change their lengths.
Technically true but not useful in this case. All bars currently sold by major companies have equal length lines (otherwise stretching the lines would require pigtails to get the correct length). The difference in line length is set on the Kite. A good example to see this is with the Duotone kites. The front bridles have different attachment points for 4 and 5 line bars as they have a different split height.

Is only really relevant if you put line extensions on your bar and even then a quick stall test on the beach and a cm or two of trim will probably sort it

Return to “Kitesurfing”