Style: Freeride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: XR6 Release

Postby reante » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:28 am

Hi,

I use my 2017 North Trust bar on the XR5 , no problems at all , not such a big fan of the twist mechanism on the Core bar .

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am
iriejohn wrote:
jespin4845 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm
Get any bar and buy a Duotone v distributer and put it where necessary to split the Y

My wife uses a slingshot bar with the distributer for her Neo’s, with the talon chicken loop cause of her short arms. Works great.
But just remember to adjust the centre line lengths because changing the V position will effectively change their lengths.
Technically true but not useful in this case.
OK, it's not useful.
All bars currently sold by major companies have equal length lines (otherwise stretching the lines would require pigtails to get the correct length).
Oh, so it was useful after all. :wink:
The difference in line length is set on the Kite. A good example to see this is with the Duotone kites. The front bridles have different attachment points for 4 and 5 line bars as they have a different split height.

Is only really relevant if you put line extensions on your bar and even then a quick stall test on the beach and a cm or two of trim will probably sort it
As Pythagoras said, how much of a length difference it makes is determined by line length and change of split height.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am

I can weigh in here with what I know, it is true Core have been working on a new bar, those of us that like the existing system were counselling that the twist should remain and if push away were also to be a part then the two should be combined, the twist release actually works better and more reliably than some systems I've sold in the past. OK if you've been raised on Core, but for folk who brand switch probably not so good particularly if you're new to kiting. New features I've seen are an instant on water re-assembly device. Rumour? it'll fall in line with industry standard push away which to me will be sad, push away is not a natural reaction in a crisis situation, trust me I've been there and still always retain rider side ejection methodology. (Old SS surefire pro).
Now the thing that has held everything up is a new Euro Iso standard which I believe comes into play in May, but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong but it's this season anyway. In the past the bar test was apparently carried out manually and in France, so could be open to human, ahem, error. Now it's a mechanical release and will be applied equally to all brands, I imagine it must also be holding up the new North team, that and legal issues, I can't imagine old North Duotone will be eager to let them have access to the iron heart patent, again don't quote me, just my thinking.

So when? XR6, bar, new release can't happen until after May at the very earliest and then only if it passes muster which might not automatically happen, many a slip twix cup and lip. Re the XR6 I'm advised only minor changes, but then that's what they said between the XR4 and 5 and those minor changes proved a spectacular bonus to Woo users, maybe they should issue all XR6's with Woo 3's that will certainly repeat rider personal bests. :wink: Low end apparently is improved, can't see how that'll help high end but so far Core have not put a foot wrong in their kite product improvements since I've been involved so I trust them and Frank (the designer) that this won't just be a graphic re iteration, the XR5 has been such a success for us I'd hate to see any dramatic alteration.

What's more interesting is the rumour of a Core mono strut, something else I think is a waste of time, but maybe as a light wind alternative, who knows, but I can say this on a freezing December day just before Xmas one of the development team had a very long swim in the Baltic as the wind completely faded in light wind foiling trials, it's the sort of dedication that makes me happy to trust the Core team.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:41 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am
nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am
iriejohn wrote:

But just remember to adjust the centre line lengths because changing the V position will effectively change their lengths.
Technically true but not useful in this case.
OK, it's not useful.
All bars currently sold by major companies have equal length lines (otherwise stretching the lines would require pigtails to get the correct length).
Oh, so it was useful after all. :wink:
The difference in line length is set on the Kite. A good example to see this is with the Duotone kites. The front bridles have different attachment points for 4 and 5 line bars as they have a different split height.

Is only really relevant if you put line extensions on your bar and even then a quick stall test on the beach and a cm or two of trim will probably sort it
As Pythagoras said, how much of a length difference it makes is determined by line length and change of split height.
I don't get it. How was telling someone that they need to adjust the centre line lengths (when they don't) in order to do a bar conversion useful?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 pm

a QR that opens with push away and twist? That would be perfect! Two chances to pull out is better than one!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:08 pm

GraemeF wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am
I can weigh in here with what I know, it is true Core have been working on a new bar, those of us that like the existing system were counselling that the twist should remain and if push away were also to be a part then the two should be combined, the twist release actually works better and more reliably than some systems I've sold in the past. OK if you've been raised on Core, but for folk who brand switch probably not so good particularly if you're new to kiting.

Latest news is because of the pressure from both sides - people who like the twist and from folks who insist on push away - Core had to compromise and the new combined, bayonette type of release is in testing. It combines both features so nobody complains anymore about not following safety standards or releasing accidentally.

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:17 pm

@GraemeF the new qr that you mentioned sounds interesting. However, personally I have no complains about the twisting QR itself (maybe the fact that isn’t super easy to re-arm, but I can live with that :) ), my biggest complain is the SSF that do not depower the kite completey. Not only me but other guys pointed out that the kite still flying and bouncing around, specially in strong winds. This is (IMHO) a serious issue to be fixed. Other than that, small changes on the grips, floats, bar ends... would make a considerable difference.
I have the sensor pro for about a year, one float snapped, grip is falling apart, I even need to use superglue to replace the velcro holder.... again, isn’t the quality that you would expect to have on the most expensive bar on the market.
The XR5 itself I love it, no complains at all.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Postby GraemeF » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:58 pm

The Pro Bar to my knowledge is the lightest bar on the market, which does carry other penalties, you simply can't have super light and super durable imv, It's just not the way things work, just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it'll last forever and certainly not the abuse of high winds, waves and surf. Neither will those kite lines for example withstand even one knot, they are likely to snap, so the bar does need extreme care and attention, I'm sorry that may not have been pointed out to you and that it has not achieved your expectations.

Despite everything you say, here in the UK it is the best selling of the core bars for us, probably on the assumption by paying more the expectation is similar to yours, we do try to explain, we do caution via dealers that the lines whilst giving excellent feed back and ultra low stretch, the fibre is quite carbon like in that if bent, via a knot, it will like carbon snap very easily, but there is a market for some folk who do want light and none stretch, we have had two failures of the Pro bar in the last few seasons both from a heavy big wind/wave beach and a high use rider.

The sensor 2S and 2s+ are no slouch and might have a degree of greater durability, but no, they are not Slingerbars, but then they also come with disadvantages that folk used to howl about when I was selling them, it is sadly not a perfect world and try as I'm sure every brand does to achieve perfection, it is elusive and we can be heavy on our kite through crashes, accidents or simply neglect. (I'm not accusing you of any of those, I'm just saying, to use the USA vernacular, shit happens.)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:06 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm
Usually like clockwork 2 year cycle which would make it 2nd or 3rd week in June
It will be lighter
More low end
More top end
Will loop on a dime
Turn faster
Less bar pressure
More UV resistant
More water repellent
Will re-launch instantly
New canopy color
And maybe just maybe a Sensor 3 bar to go along with it
You totally forgot that it will be innovative and a game changer!...

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 pm

GraemeF wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:58 pm
The Pro Bar to my knowledge is the lightest bar on the market, which does carry other penalties, you simply can't have super light and super durable imv, It's just not the way things work, just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it'll last forever and certainly not the abuse of high winds, waves and surf. Neither will those kite lines for example withstand even one knot, they are likely to snap, so the bar does need extreme care and attention, I'm sorry that may not have been pointed out to you and that it has not achieved your expectations.

Despite everything you say, here in the UK it is the best selling of the core bars for us, probably on the assumption by paying more the expectation is similar to yours, we do try to explain, we do caution via dealers that the lines whilst giving excellent feed back and ultra low stretch, the fibre is quite carbon like in that if bent, via a knot, it will like carbon snap very easily, but there is a market for some folk who do want light and none stretch, we have had two failures of the Pro bar in the last few seasons both from a heavy big wind/wave beach and a high use rider.

The sensor 2S and 2s+ are no slouch and might have a degree of greater durability, but no, they are not Slingerbars, but then they also come with disadvantages that folk used to howl about when I was selling them, it is sadly not a perfect world and try as I'm sure every brand does to achieve perfection, it is elusive and we can be heavy on our kite through crashes, accidents or simply neglect. (I'm not accusing you of any of those, I'm just saying, to use the USA vernacular, shit happens.)
I think i wasn’t totally clear. The lack of quality in the finishing, in my opinion has nothing to do with the lightweight characteristichs of the bar. I haven't snapped the bar, also I am far from being super hardocre user, and trust-me: I really don’t know a guy that take more care of the gear than myself. Buying Core was a investment, a choice, so I wouldn’t just be careless with my gear. For instance my lines are pristine, even having about a year of use. Same goes to the kites itself. I wash my gear with fresh water after every session, never let them exposed hours to the sun (if not in use) or inside cars, I even apply “salt away” an Marine grade lubricants on metalic parts often. I work with highly sensitive marine equipment so I really know how to conservate this kind of stuff... anyway, those are suggestions, if you have direct contact with the CORE guys those are just details to point out.
It seems that the kitesurf customers tend to stick with the same brands, so, specially for the one of the most expensive brands in the game, listening the users complains surelly will help the client retention.
Otherwise why one will keep spending his earnings on something that not only didin’t reach the expectations but also doesn’t sound that is gonna improve?
Just saying

Return to “Kitesurfing”