Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby jatem » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 pm
Jatem: Not a great source for that question. I kite mostly in 2-4 feet of water. Looking for deeper water but it's a struggle without getting into very questionable situations. I routinely drive my foil into the bottom on a 24" mast. Self rescued a LEI 2 weeks ago in deep water and didn't think it gave me any kind of advantage, but I can imagine things feel different if in the ocean vs bay.
With the peak, as with any kite session on water, you should plan to swim back to shore if things go to custard. It's much less likely to fall out of the sky than other kites, but you might steer it into a heap on the water or suffer gear failure. Hydrofoils open up big distance exploration, and people get complacent with LEIs that they'll keep being able to keep them flying, or swim/self-rescue a few kilometres if the wind drops or their LEI fails. Closed cell foils can go pear-shaped, and they can hold a lot of water, which might make self-rescue difficult. The peak forces you to think about a safety plan, which might be rolling it up into a small package and paddling the board in. The peak won't fill with water like a closed cell foil, and it won't be blown constantly downwind. A hf board with some floatation is obviously going to be a lot better for self-rescue.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:39 am

Anyone compare the Peak3 12m to the Peak4 11m yet? Wondering if I should upgrade for those 6mph-10mph days I use the 12m on.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:07 am

Just got the 4m a few days ago. Awesome!!! It makes a great 2 kite foiling quiver for me, with 9m chrono for lighter wind.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:31 am

norcom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:39 am
Anyone compare the Peak3 12m to the Peak4 11m yet? Wondering if I should upgrade for those 6mph-10mph days I use the 12m on.
I can only compare P3 6m vs P4 5m /which actually is 5.5/ and there is nothing to compare. P3 6 is unusable kite for my riding P4 5 is super sweet. But i think that rigidness from closed tip and longer batten which p4 have and p3 not will gradually work less towards bigger sizes. So 5 and MAYBE 8 are biggest usable sizes for my kind for riding

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Anyone using the Peak 4 with a surfboard ? or tested relaunch in waves?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Me. 4m in 20-25knt - upwind just fine. Relaunch for test purpose - small waves ca. 1m + chop from wind. I crash it hard LE down - let it lay on water to fill behind LE space with water and loose line tension to let it loose shape and lay down on water. Then try backward relaunch via pulling rear lines - kites flyed from water but it was too heavy to continue flying because of water behind LE. So i realize i must get rid of this water so i pull both lines to launch from water and immediately release one so kite start to flip and loosing water. This end with kite LE up - from this just sheet out and it just flyed. With this strong wind kite want to keep shape and i cannot imagine it will not restart as surface tension was just too weak and wind just blow kite from water. I can imagine waves thumble in to mess but as soon as there is some clear water it should restart. If there is no clear water and just whirpool mess then i think no kite is really restartable. In this kind of situation i was used to release my leis completely to save them from water dragging. What surprise me was fact that tacks was easier than on 7m LEI even though Peak has almost no lift and its angry wasp kite. It was easy to dose just right amount of power to switch feet. I was using fast efficient board - ca. tomo vanguard clone, and was able to ride very fast. I think it will not work with slow board.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:57 am

Just had an epic session. This kite is a game changer. Currently have 5m but will be ordering in at least one smaller size, felt slightly overpowered in 14-20 knots. Not a great kiter, but just hit my first foil gybe foot changes, and didn't drop the kite once. Phenomenal drift and very acceptable upwind when you make that your goal.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:10 am

Another good Peak4 11 session today. I was out on my Chrono 13 race wing and 30 m lines. Very flat water on the bay with only a rare whitecap. The wind was slowly dropping of and it was getting to the point I was worried about having to swim in with the Chrono. Coming into the beach required only a little active flight to keep the kite in the air. I switched to the Peak and it was nailed to the sky. Zero whitecaps at this point. It took a lot of active flying to get up on the board but after sever loops I was up. Once I broke free foiling was easy but every touch down resulted in a little fear getting back up on the board. There is probably a 10 degree upwind penalty compared to the Chrono. As the wind fell off I eventually came off the foil. The kite provided an easy body drag back to land with zero drama. At this point there was no perceptible wind at the water level and the breeze was just barely moving the tips of the palm tree fronds. I think a better light wind board like a Hoover might help get unstuck at this point. Also suspect my slower wing would have allowed to come on foil sooner. The 11 is a viable light wind insurance policy.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
Slappysan (Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:11 pm) • Kitedougiefresh (Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:55 am)
Rating: 6.06%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:25 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:10 am
Another good Peak4 11 session today. I was out on my Chrono 13 race wing and 30 m lines. Very flat water on the bay with only a rare whitecap. The wind was slowly dropping of and it was getting to the point I was worried about having to swim in with the Chrono. Coming into the beach required only a little active flight to keep the kite in the air. I switched to the Peak and it was nailed to the sky. Zero whitecaps at this point. It took a lot of active flying to get up on the board but after sever loops I was up. Once I broke free foiling was easy but every touch down resulted in a little fear getting back up on the board. There is probably a 10 degree upwind penalty compared to the Chrono. As the wind fell off I eventually came off the foil. The kite provided an easy body drag back to land with zero drama. At this point there was no perceptible wind at the water level and the breeze was just barely moving the tips of the palm tree fronds. I think a better light wind board like a Hoover might help get unstuck at this point. Also suspect my slower wing would have allowed to come on foil sooner. The 11 is a viable light wind insurance policy.
Would you please compare the 11m Peak4's speed to some other kites you've flown?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Anyone else want to comment on the upwind penalty. I've never flown a chrono or any other race foil kite so comparison the the average plain Jane wave lei is easier for me to make sense of.

On foil or on surfboard, properly powered, what is the difference in upwind like.

I ride bagged out clouds and never worry about it while foiling. Is the peak 4 going to be just like that or will it shave of a little more upwind angle from a cloud ?

Return to “Foil Kites”