easily reset chickenloops

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: easily reset chickenloops

Postby alford » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Maybe a setup like this with PU tubing would make it swing around less and be easier to grab than a bare line.
Attachments
Captureaa.PNG
Captureaa.PNG (20.62 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 pm

That release will always open up, jumptheshark. No doubt in my mind. Also, when resetting it, there doesn't need to be load on it....it's on my sliders side. Admittedly, holding on to the steel ring on the kites side is probably a b"itch.
Another advantage, you can set the distance between the bar and you exactly to your liking. Great setup.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:03 pm

just pulled that shackle out and your right, no hang up potential on that one. I must have been thinking of a side pull. I went through them all back in the day!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 am

The logic is that all marketing behind the "superior" release will trick people in thinking that they are safe.

That is shallow thinking. It is a common occurrence lately with a weekend warriors. Hope the future proves me wrong.
isn't your "marketing" the wichard the same thing?

and honestly, I'm as grumpy about new <fill in the blank> as anyone but I have a problem with the 'new' people always being the problem

If you guys had to use it in 2001, well, it did come back. Big times. No one wants to talk about it simply coz scared of being bullied or called names. It is simple as that.
Well, I probably used the Wichard for as long as you have been a member of this forum. There is a lot of experience with it. I don't think it is a question of name calling or being bullied. There is an experience base here and I don't think you should take it personally but you should pay attention.

You are basically doing what you are accusing the weekend warriors of doing, feeling overly safe.

but I hear you, it can be hard to do something different from the crowd
Yes, normal chicken loop makes no sense at all with a sliding rope, unless one has extra long hands.
Your slider has a hook? Well the OP hasn't got one as I understand, hence the reason why looking for one hand reset.
yes but I don't think the wichard will work with the antal ring either

and even though the rope slider has been around forever, I think it is only recently that it has gained more popularity and I don't think there is a really good integrated solution

for the reasons you point out
You guys should well know how difficult is to reset a sliding rope release. It's bloody hard, lets not pretend otherwise.
absolutely, very excited to see Ozone tackle this issue.
Not having a safety line, mentioned that a number of times. A luxury of my local.
now that moves your solution out to more of a fringe area in my opinion.

I'd really like to see an integrated cloop like the duotone rope slider cloop (which works well, as I have it) and some type of click in system.

I don't think that will make the weekend warriors more dangerous because they believe it is safer.

On the other hand, convincing someone to use a wichard without a safety line, that does sound more dangerous. Good ploy, thinning out the herd.

:D

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:00 am

alford wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Maybe a setup like this with PU tubing would make it swing around less and be easier to grab than a bare line.
Captureaa.PNG
Captureaa.PNG (20.62 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Correct.

One can even use a slightly bigger ball or a similar 'device', shorter rope or whatever. It is a mechanism that will last a lifetime.

~~~~~~~~~~

James,
maybe google "chicken loop bye bye" ? Or we still discussing a rope slider? You do not need antal ring with this. Sure it might eat a rope. Replace it, use 2, whatever.

'new' = newbie? God, is Nico Parlier a newbie? Or he is also thinning the herd? Not a single racer here has a safety line. Why would they?

Not marketing anything, I'm not a COMPANY who are making profit.

It is like fighting with windmills, relax, no one will get killed so that your local will close...Opinions differ, I'm entitled on my, just like you.

Looks like you are Ozone/North lover, maybe that's the problem. Slingshot introduced Talon a long time ago, did you ever look at it, or post links to inform users? no? Well then.

Here it is:
12051395.jpg

Chill out man, no need to dissect every single sentience like AL, MAttV or even BayAreaKit do. Incidentally, they are all Yanks, somehow more and more I think it's in the their culture, yell as much as you can to stand in the herd, as you say. Not seeing French riders doing the same in here....Or German, or or or...Something very very noticeable when travelling.

But this one is really interesting, need to react so you might open your eyes a bit:
Not having a safety line, mentioned that a number of times. A luxury of my local.
now that moves your solution out to more of a fringe area in my opinion.
Look at this closely, what do you see? Do you see a newbie? How dare I mention a pro doing stuff in the fringe area, this is sooo dangerous ;) Which safety line?
Kevin_Screenshot from 2018-11-28 10-29-12.png
Kevin_Screenshot from 2018-11-28 10-29-12.png (263.08 KiB) Viewed 1175 times

Chill out man, people will do *wild* stuff all the time. I can say this is *marketing* as well, with a tiny details one does not see...So instead of jumping on my every sentience, why don't you jump on Kevs vblog and complain on what he is doing?

Ahh, but that is another matter isn't it...

My last comment about the topic, you guys go wild.

D.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 am

Ok you win.. you can’t argue with such solid logic...

I will dust of my old wichard and spliced In C loop line bar from my old ARX set up and remember the good times..

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

IMG_20190415_180447.jpg
Should real make some time to put one of those snap shackles thru the full ISO 21853 test.

Would cut thru a lot of BS.
These users thanked the author decay for the post:
Kamikuza (Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:17 pm

purdyd wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 am

....Well, I probably used the Wichard for as long as you have been a member of this forum. There is a lot of experience with it. I don't think it is a question of name calling or being bullied. There is an experience base here and I don't think you should take it personally but you should pay attention.....

....On the other hand, convincing someone to use a wichard without a safety line, that does sound more dangerous. Good ploy, thinning out the herd.

:D
Yup, we have been here before. Don't try to convince downsy - total waste of time. Just let others know that he is in the minority of kiteboarders, no matter what clip he digs up, or what kite racer he catches using the same release as him.

I know extremely experienced kiters that have been building their own gear for longer than I have been kiting. All of them stopped using downsy's release for safety reasons. Even homemade releases are preferred to that one.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am

decay wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Should real make some time to put one of those snap shackles thru the full ISO 21853 test.

Where to find more details on that ISO test?

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:01 am

evan wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:59 am
decay wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Where to find more details on that ISO test?
ISO will publish the final version later this year, it will be available to buy for ~USD$80.

If you had any questions about the test procedure or the equipment required you can direct message me or email kiteboardshaper at gmail.

Cheers

DK

Return to “Kitesurfing”