Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Hyperlink V2 - The Most Versatile Foil Kite On The Market

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:22 pm

ScoopZ wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 pm
Matteo,

How long did it take boards and more to adopt single front like safety compared to the industry? They bare a lot of historical responsibility, especially when marketing the "worlds safest CL" on the quad bar.
Regardless of how the lines release (a. release 3 lines with a single front line tensioned, or b. release 2 lines [both rear] and tension both fronts), the CL still has to operate before you even get to a point where you can consider the kite "released to primary safety". Also, the release needs to be re-loadable in real world conditions for it to be of any use after activation.

Many kite companies, for 15years or so, were coming out with "new" releases that could not preform either a reliable activation, or possible reloading in real world conditions, within a reasonable lifespan for that system.

The only thing that North did absoutley right, which others are just now catching up to, is make a release that could preform the above functions for an incredibly long lifespan.

As far as single line flag out being the new industry standard - do you remember the bridle system that Cabrinha had that released to 2 front lines but would almost mimic a 5th line system? That was great IF you could reload the system to get going again - which was a huge issue for some of the Cabrinha release versions. So there was still some development going on at the point which North already had a reliable release.

North had some backward views, as far as the direction kites have gone in the last 5years. One of them was the "5th line" concept. They were actually the last hold out for that system for bow/delta SLE kites. And that is the most likely reason that North held on to the "release to both front lines" system. Kiters had a choice. If they wanted the ultimate in safety, just use the 5th line system with a bow/delta kite. If they wanted fast relaunch after safety activation, use the Quad control bar.

There are reasons that the 5th line concept died out. But none of them were safety. It remains to this day, the safest flag out system. It is just not convenient to use. And North held on to that for far too long.

Just to reiterate, I am not pimping North. I think almost everything else they did besides the IronHeart CL was......well, at least not to my liking's. But they nailed this one thing.

And ScoopZ, what "responsibility" do you think they bear??? Did the double front line safety cause accidents? I actually still use that type of safety on my kites, except for my main back up bar. Should I be made aware of something?

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:46 pm

I wish we could stick to the kite. The release discussion should have its own topic
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
early bird2 (Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:22 pm
ScoopZ wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 pm
Matteo,

How long did it take boards and more to adopt single front like safety compared to the industry? They bare a lot of historical responsibility, especially when marketing the "worlds safest CL" on the quad bar.
Regardless of how the lines release (a. release 3 lines with a single front line tensioned, or b. release 2 lines [both rear] and tension both fronts), the CL still has to operate before you even get to a point where you can consider the kite "released to primary safety". Also, the release needs to be re-loadable in real world conditions for it to be of any use after activation.

Many kite companies, for 15years or so, were coming out with "new" releases that could not preform either a reliable activation, or possible reloading in real world conditions, within a reasonable lifespan for that system.

The only thing that North did absoutley right, which others are just now catching up to, is make a release that could preform the above functions for an incredibly long lifespan.

As far as single line flag out being the new industry standard - do you remember the bridle system that Cabrinha had that released to 2 front lines but would almost mimic a 5th line system? That was great IF you could reload the system to get going again - which was a huge issue for some of the Cabrinha release versions. So there was still some development going on at the point which North already had a reliable release.

North had some backward views, as far as the direction kites have gone in the last 5years. One of them was the "5th line" concept. They were actually the last hold out for that system for bow/delta SLE kites. And that is the most likely reason that North held on to the "release to both front lines" system. Kiters had a choice. If they wanted the ultimate in safety, just use the 5th line system with a bow/delta kite. If they wanted fast relaunch after safety activation, use the Quad control bar.

There are reasons that the 5th line concept died out. But none of them were safety. It remains to this day, the safest flag out system. It is just not convenient to use. And North held on to that for far too long.

Just to reiterate, I am not pimping North. I think almost everything else they did besides the IronHeart CL was......well, at least not to my liking's. But they nailed this one thing.

And ScoopZ, what "responsibility" do you think they bear??? Did the double front line safety cause accidents? I actually still use that type of safety on my kites, except for my main back up bar. Should I be made aware of something?
yo......we get it.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 pm

North just wouldn’t pay the sle licence

That is the only reason the stayed on the 5th for so long

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm

james wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Nope, they had the fuse and evo on 4 lines. Still, there was a backstory on the sle licence thing that involved north and best.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm

I think you mean ButtsandMore not North.

Matteo V wrote:It remains to this day, the safest flag out system.
For LEI maybe, and for some foils, but any single line rear or front works well on foils and is unmatched or something like ARCs.

Matteo V wrote: Also, the release needs to be re-loadable in real world conditions for it to be of any use after activation.
Easy reloading is far over rated. The release should really only be used were reload is not even a consideration. You have accidental releases, but that is just poor design. You shouldn't be fixing a leaky bucket with another bucket.
Matteo V wrote: Many kite companies, for 15years or so, were coming out with "new" releases
It is still a giant joke. Even Flysurfer is now using the north release after how many of their much lauded attempts. The other giant joke is they all center around chicken loops which.... practically no one needs. One can only deduce that designers in the kite industry arn't the brightest lot. A lack of reasoning from basic correct principles would explain it. Also explains why foil kites were dismissed for so long.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:29 am

double post
Last edited by Matteo V on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:35 am

foilholio wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:52 pm
I think you mean ButtsandMore not North......

....Even Flysurfer is now using the north release after how many of their much lauded attempts.....
Self refuting argument......still, good post and thanks!

foilholio wrote:
Matteo V wrote:It (5th line) remains to this day, the safest flag out system.
For LEI maybe, and for some foils, but any single line rear or front works well on foils and is unmatched or something like ARCs.

Matteo V wrote: Also, the release needs to be re-loadable in real world conditions for it to be of any use after activation.
Easy reloading is far over rated. The release should really only be used were reload is not even a consideration. You have accidental releases, but that is just poor design. You shouldn't be fixing a leaky bucket with another bucket.
I am appreciative of your response. But I call BS on this. Just with the safety maintained by reloading quickly and getting back under way quickly, in regards to innocent beach goers, your statement goes out the window.

Matteo V wrote: Many kite companies, for 15years or so, were coming out with "new" releases
foilholio wrote:
The other giant joke is they all center around chicken loops which.... practically no one needs. One can only deduce that designers in the kite industry arn't the brightest lot. A lack of reasoning from basic correct principles would explain it. Also explains why foil kites were dismissed for so long.
I need this......sometime. If I break a line, or do something stupid. I call on my release. Hope it works.....and hope I am OK! as well as the beach were I kite.
Last edited by Matteo V on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
foilholio (Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:53 am

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 pm
james wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 pm

Nope, they had the fuse and evo on 4 lines. Still, there was a backstory on the sle licence thing that involved north and best.
Must have missed you when that discussion was taking place then, which distributor were you working for?

Stop being so quick to always be “right”

Both Naish and North were so slow to the Bow patent( never signed up to it) and then reluctant to the SLE

They both felt 5th was the way forward and eventually they cracked, Naish first with the shockwave then years later North

It was only market forces that pushed it home

I know you will pick apart every line of what I have written to “win” your point of view so do crack on but facts are facts

Return to “Kitesurfing”