Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2019 Watches

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm

When I first got my Fenix, I tried the JMG-APP for a while. At that time (about 1-1/2 years ago) it did not keep track of jump height that well. I don't know if the updates to the app have improved it. The app that I developed for kitesurfing, it does tract elevation/altitude during your session using the altimeter. However, I have not found a good way of measuring jump height with the app other than calibrating the altimeter prior to a session. Besides I don't care that much about how high I jump. I'm more into speed.

I have not tried the other two apps you mentioned, so I cannot comment on them.

Cheers.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Avro, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:20 pm

alunj wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm
I’ve a few hundred sessions on the Apple Watch
Tracking and heart rate work fine . No issues with water ingress . Sessions is a fun app but I tend to use other apps for tracking . In sept I changed for the 4 with cellular for safety’s sake. So far so awesome . Made a few test calls to the wife to see what the quality is like all good . Just nice to know I have some way of getting in touch with emergency services .
Great feedback

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm
When I first got my Fenix, I tried the JMG-APP for a while. At that time (about 1-1/2 years ago) it did not keep track of jump height that well. I don't know if the updates to the app have improved it. The app that I developed for kitesurfing, it does tract elevation/altitude during your session using the altimeter. However, I have not found a good way of measuring jump height with the app other than calibrating the altimeter prior to a session. Besides I don't care that much about how high I jump. I'm more into speed.

Cheers.
I think the app (JMG-APP) had a lot of improvements in the last year.. (so it seems from the log on garmin store). It now uses more sensors (when they are available) . .. Anyway.. I got the feedback from someone online claiming that the app, running on a vivoactive 3, gets 90% of the jumps right when comparing to woo. Sometimes, though, it makes big mistakes on the rest (10%). I hope the developer will keep the work on this app and make it even better.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:28 am

Apple Watch 3 with cellular here. Solid performer. Use a cover when not on the water. Can’t use it on the water as it interfere with the screen with water trapped between the cover and the glass. Cellular saved my ass a few times with a breakdown or when wind died. Awesome to have except when a call comes in while out riding. I can get 3 days between charges, less if I’m riding and using gps. Heart rate is fantastic. Holding out on getting a 4.... don’t see why. This one works great.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 pm

Whoa. 6 months in the water and it still worked.

https://gadgetsandwearables.com/2019/04 ... atch-surf/

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Been using the Apple Watch 4 for a few months now. My personal feeling is it's the best of all the watches I tried through the years (most Suunto's (Ambit Peak3 last), Garmin Feminx 5x, Samsung Galaxy). The Suuntos and Garmin still had the best battery life and were more of a watch. This is like a little computer-phone assistant. It's also the lightest and smallest out of all the watches. After years of wearing bulky watches I was pleasantly surprised how good a smaller device feels on my wrist. Doesn't seem to be any issues with water/sand. Had sand get into the watch wheel and grind but after rinsing in fresh water it was perfect again.

The built in tracking is almost as janky as the Samsung apps but are better. Biggest peeve is when you select "Other" as the sport (because the majority of sports aren't available) it doesn't track GPS. Yes, there are other apps you can download, and Sessions is pretty good for kite and wind surfing. But kayaking, standup paddling... those apps want you to subscribe on a monthly basis. No thanx. Another issue is Garmin and Suunto physical buttons are easier to use when the watch is wet. Touch screen is very finicky when it has water on it.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 pm

ldmelo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm
JakeFarley wrote:

Cheers.
I think the app (JMG-APP) had a lot of improvements in the last year.. (so it seems from the log on garmin store). It now uses more sensors (when they are available) . .. Anyway.. I got the feedback from someone online claiming that the app, running on a vivoactive 3, gets 90% of the jumps right when comparing to woo. Sometimes, though, it makes big mistakes on the rest (10%). I hope the developer will keep the work on this app and make it even better.
Been Using the JMG App on my fenix 5 for the past year.
The app works really well at everything but the jump heigh.
I use it mainly for Foiling and it keeps a nice track of upwind angles, speeds and Tacks and Jibes

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:30 am

If you just need current speed, logged highest speed, and distance traveled; might look into the GW60 at $225. Had it for a couple years now and no issues.

https://www.locosystech.com/en/product/ ... gw-60.html

http://www.midwestspeedquest.com/index.html

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:16 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 pm
ldmelo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm
JakeFarley wrote:

Cheers.
Been Using the JMG App on my fenix 5 for the past year.
The app works really well at everything but the jump heigh.
I use it mainly for Foiling and it keeps a nice track of upwind angles, speeds and Tacks and Jibes
Just curious... What option did you use, accelerometer or barometer? Did you make sure that the initial calibration of the altitude was done before the beginning of each session?

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Apple watch 4 with cellular is awesome. Great for calls/texts when a downwinder goes long etc.

I bring headphones when setting up my kite or just working out on the beach and you can stream music directly from the watch which is amazing.

The biggest flaw is the ikitesurf doesn't have an app yet!

Return to “Kitesurfing”