Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby ldmelo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:59 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 pm
Apple watch 4 with cellular is awesome. Great for calls/texts when a downwinder goes long etc.

I bring headphones when setting up my kite or just working out on the beach and you can stream music directly from the watch which is amazing.

The biggest flaw is the ikitesurf doesn't have an app yet!
Yeah... But it costs 500usd and it demands an iPhone. Those other watches (vivoactive 3, galaxy active, ticwatch, etc), they cost 200usd or less... You save enough money to buy the woo 3.0 and a lot of beers.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
    Apple watch 4 with cellular is awesome. Great for calls/texts when a downwinder goes long etc.

I bring headphones when setting up my kite or just working out on the beach and you can stream music directly from the watch which is amazing.

What do you use to protect the apple watch?
    I have the 4 too, but I'm too scared to use it for kitesurfing because of the high velocity.
    And the warranty says the AW is not waterproof for high velocity watersports.

RadDrDuke
    Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2001
    Weight: 75kg
    Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
    Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
    Style: Surf > Foil > TT
    Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed May 01, 2019 1:13 am

I dont use anything but they have really good cases on amazon that are cheap and would work great if you do kiteloops etc

Leon van Bergen
    Very Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2016
    Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
    Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am

ldmelo wrote:
    Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:59 am
    RadDrDuke wrote:

Yeah... But it costs 500usd and it demands an iPhone. Those other watches (vivoactive 3, galaxy active, ticwatch, etc), they cost 200usd or less... You save enough money to buy the woo 3.0 and a lot of beers.
    Apple Watch 3 is less then €300 and almost the same as the 4...

ldmelo
    Rare Poster
    Local Beach: Fortaleza
    Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
    Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Tue May 07, 2019 4:05 am

Leon van Bergen wrote:
    Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am
    ldmelo wrote:
    Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:59 am
    RadDrDuke wrote:

The apple watch will not work without an iphone, so it is not an option for many people. Anyway, the galaxy active is now everywhere in the US for 179usd. The fossil sport also went down to 199usd. So... lot of options to choose.

I know that garmin is not a real smartwatch like WearOS or iWatch, but battery life and fitness tracking is what matters to me, so I ended up buying the va3. I will test it in the water in the next season... I've got other watches before and I know now that if I have to charge every night I won't wear it (or it will let me down when I really need it) .

juanpasala
    Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2017
    Local Beach: Calima
    Favorite Beaches: Calima
    San Andres
    Cabo de la Vela
    Style: Freeride / Foiling
    Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
    Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue May 07, 2019 2:16 pm

ldmelo wrote:
    Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:16 pm
    juanpasala wrote:
    Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:14 pm
    ldmelo wrote:
    Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm

I think the app (JMG-APP) had a lot of improvements in the last year.. (so it seems from the log on garmin store). It now uses more sensors (when they are available) . .. Anyway.. I got the feedback from someone online claiming that the app, running on a vivoactive 3, gets 90% of the jumps right when comparing to woo. Sometimes, though, it makes big mistakes on the rest (10%). I hope the developer will keep the work on this app and make it even better.
    Been Using the JMG App on my fenix 5 for the past year.
    The app works really well at everything but the jump heigh.
    I use it mainly for Foiling and it keeps a nice track of upwind angles, speeds and Tacks and Jibes
    Just curious... What option did you use, accelerometer or barometer? Did you make sure that the initial calibration of the altitude was done before the beginning of each session?
    Yes, I have, and I use a Woo 2 as well and data is completelly different.
    Even when I am Foiling with no jumps I have up to 10 meter jumps registered.

RadDrDuke
    Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2001
    Weight: 75kg
    Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
    Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
    Style: Surf > Foil > TT
    Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed May 08, 2019 1:48 am

For what it's worth I was doing a long downwinder the other day with my friend and the wind died halfway. I called my wife on my apple watch w/cell service and she picked us up easily. It was really convenient.

Sun
    Very Frequent Poster
    Local Beach: Tybee Island
    Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
    Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
    6m Dice (2017)
    Reedin Dreamstick X
    Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
    Nobile XTR LW board
    12m Hyperlink for LW
    Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 am

dice wrote:
    Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 am

What do you use to protect the apple watch?
    I have the 4 too, but I'm too scared to use it for kitesurfing because of the high velocity.
    And the warranty says the AW is not waterproof for high velocity watersports.
    I have had my Apple Watch Series 3 for about 15 months now, with a little over 100 sessions on the water. All I have on it is a $5 rubber bumper case. There are a few fine scratches on the screen, but that is it are far as “damage” is concerned. However, it is always under my wetsuit or under my long sleeve Lycra rash vest. GPS tracking via the Xsenr Sessions app still works beautifully.

At this stage I would wear it without the rash vest covering it, I think it can handle the splashes and impacts, but the silicone band is NOT to be relied upon. I started wearing it under the rash vest sleeve after seeing the clasp on the band completely loose following a crash. Damn near lost the watch. Not sure if I would trust the Velcro either. You will have to ask around for a better band if you want to wear the watch openly while kiting.
    These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
    dice (Wed May 08, 2019 6:30 am)
    Rating: 3.03%

Bbking
    Rare Poster
    Gear: Cabrinha switchblade

Postby Bbking » Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm

... repeated
    Last edited by Bbking on Mon May 13, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bbking
    Rare Poster
    Gear: Cabrinha switchblade

Postby Bbking » Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm

ldmelo wrote:
    Tue May 07, 2019 4:05 am
    Leon van Bergen wrote:
    Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am

The apple watch will not work without an iphone, so it is not an option for many people. Anyway, the galaxy active is now everywhere in the US for 179usd. The fossil sport also went down to 199usd. So... lot of options to choose.

I know that garmin is not a real smartwatch like WearOS or iWatch, but battery life and fitness tracking is what matters to me, so I ended up buying the va3. I will test it in the water in the next season... I've got other watches before and I know now that if I have to charge every night I won't wear it (or it will let me down when I really need it) .

I get 10+ days per charge on my Fenix 5. All features enabled... Sleep monitoring, activities, notifications, etc. I was tired of a dead watch on my wrist. No worries if I want to record several kite sessions in a day, or a long downwind.

Apple X Android X Garmin... It is a trade-off, you just need to figure what is important to you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”