A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: statement from Lou

Postby jaros » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 am

downunder wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:18 am
Not really, no. You would NOT take a roadbike on the mountain. So, where is the similarity? Is it the same sport? Maybe. Is it the same discipline/category?
You mean something like this : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... QbDDyPCSs
:D
Last edited by jaros on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 am

Define a kite first?

See, how blind are we. The 'thing' we call a kite is, well, a LEI. The 'thing' we call a foil kite is not a LEI but still a kite???? And than a single skin foil is a KITE as well? So a hard shell or skin will be a kite again? Everything that pulls you is a kite if it has 4 lines or more?

What if the drone is in the middle and soft/hard shell is on the side, so you just activate a drone when needed? ;) Well, not a drone, but a propeller. Impossible? Just watch. There are no visionaries in here I guess.

Same with the HF propelled engine. But hey, it's all kiting (we can't agree on boarding/surfing so there you go, kiting is better).

We quickly agree on something which has no much in common. Is this because it suits the purpose or something else?

No, he is merely pointing out that a HF is a dangerous sword in the water and that WE are limited with a number of things with that sword. And making bucks with it is way overrated, how many went under? You can sell the most/least expensive gear and go under.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:01 am

jaros wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 am
downunder wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:18 am
Not really, no. You would NOT take a roadbike on the mountain. So, where is the similarity? Is it the same sport? Maybe. Is it the same discipline/category?
You mean something like this : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... QbDDyPCSs
:D
There will always be exceptions. The problem is that everything is heavily diluted in recent years and people still calling things the same. They are not. Taxi is NOT Uber, no matter if it drives you around.
Internet is NOT the same as in 1996. No matter if we call it the same name. The list goes on...

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 am

downunder wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 am
Define a kite first?
A kite is a wing surface that reacts against the wind to create drag.
downunder wrote:
See, how blind are we. The 'thing' we call a kite is, well, a LEI. The 'thing' we call a foil kite is not a LEI but still a kite???? And than a single skin foil is a KITE as well? So a hard shell or skin will be a kite again?
They are all kites by definition, just different types.
downunder wrote:
Everything that pulls you is a kite if it has 4 lines or more?
No. Double reins (4 lines) for a horse is clearly not a kite ;)
downunder wrote:
What if the drone is in the middle and soft/hard shell is on the side, so you just activate a drone when needed? ;) Well, not a drone, but a propeller. Impossible? Just watch. There are no visionaries in here I guess.
I do believe that could be possible in the future, yes. It's then a hybrid, but only if it still uses the wind. If it doesn't, it's just a drone and then I would call it "Droneboarding". Then it's not kiting anymore because it doesn't rely on wind.
downunder wrote:
Same with the HF propelled engine. But hey, it's all kiting (we can't agree on boarding/surfing so there you go, kiting is better).
No. This is not kiting anymore, because, a HF propelled engine does not rely on wind.

I know what you are trying to say, downunder. But we already do have subcategories of kiting that describe all these different disciplines so I don't really see a problem. Same as "kiting" is already a subcategory of "watersports".

The only one with a problem here is Lou because he did not jump on the hf train and now sells less.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:20 am

Hi there,
Any of you guys know if Wainman Kites are still on the business?
Looks like they have not updated their site in a long time and their last kite model release was 3 years ago...

Awesome and unique kites btw. I recently bought another Smoke (in mint condition) to replace my crappy Switch kite.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Cor,

The modern foil kites are more like a paragliders than the kites. And yes, in other languages paraglider is called a wing. Did fly them way before kiting existed.

Sure its semantics, however, the completely different skill set is needed to use them. Creating apparent wind for example.

That's the problem. Im talking about the skill set, u talking about semantics.

Unless u have inside information about Lou, your claim is only a speculation unfortunately.

If everyone jumped on HF wagon, no one would make any profit...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:24 pm

Mast.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:34 am
The more ride HF the better...keeps them off the lagoons in Brazil 😁
The more riding in the lagoons ... the more space for me on the waves! :thumb:

Everyone's got a preference I guess.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:57 pm

Sorry, but waves gonna be packed with SB and HF riders.
The ones who can afford the trip to Brasil.

Now just the locals and me. Yeah 👍🏻

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:43 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 pm
Well,

I really do not understand how can using the same MEDIUM, but everything else is different, be the same discipline? Or even the same sport?

What is clear to me is only the ignorance of that all variables completely change when riding xyz. No one is the best in everything. Read on:

Foilin is 3D. TT is bidirectional. SB is directional.

It certainly "spiced" kiting. Now, we will call a mono wing foiling a kiting as well?

I just do not see riding a mono wheel bicycle the same discipline as riding a normal bike.
If that would be the case, many sports would be the same discipline, athletes the same and one would be the best in everything...

Till someone makes a better analogy, have no idea how else to describe.

Or is riding the bicycle on the mountain and on the road the same sport just b/c using the same mechanics?

Sure, one might ride all. But the divide is obvious.

On top of it we have the weight category, Toby riding 18m kite for his 80-90kg is not the same as me 59kg riding much faster and smaller kites. This enables him to do way more slower stuff.

Yet, we discussing like everything is the same discipline and category. We have a long way to agree on the things.
No downunder, it's just you :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”