A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alx
Rare Poster
Gear: foil board, 3-strut kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gath Helmets with Visor

Postby alx » Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 am

elguapo wrote: try using a paintball mask(with helmet).
(seriously)
Hah! Interesting! This one? Can you elaborate? Are you using this particular one? Which helmet do you have? I might consider it especially if I go in more extreme weather.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Sat May 04, 2019 10:40 am

I've been using the gath visor helmet for 6 years. I reckon it's saved my bacon twice. Once when I hit a sandbar hard and almost got knocked out even with the helmet on (I got tunnel vision and saw stars). Another time when learning to foil and I crashed bad and the foil shot up into my face and head.

Great for keeping warm in winter and sun protection too.

As far as increasing your chances of breaking your neck. I have read that on nearly every forum. Seems to be a bit of an urban myth. Never heard of an actual case and even if there was one confirmed incident I reckon there would be thousands of injury preventions on the flip side.

newold86
Rare Poster
Gear: Core
Has thanked: 0

Postby newold86 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:17 am

Used RV for almost two years, then moved to Gedi with full face visor a year ago.

First of all, RV shape is not for my head. Gedi isn’t perfect either, but better adjustable (has special inserts). Also RV’s visor easily scratched during closing/opening by design (impossible to remove a sand from inside, and you always get some sand there). I think I have noticed some bucket effect (probably more on RV), but nothing significant. Certainly hitting underwater reef could cause REALLY serious problem if I wasn’t wearing the helmet. Also once got hit quite strongly by a nose tip of surfboard - not sure if I would survive that without the helmet... I remember once I THOUGHT I’m going to have a sore neck from very weird fall (was wearing RV) but no issues after the session...
One of reasons moving to Gedi was a desire to have a radio - you can get BBtalking headset designed especially for Gedi.
One more reason to use a visor - I hate a sunscreen, and a visor gives a great face sun protection.

One thing I’m concerned with Gedi - the visor moves too easily, possibly can open when you actually need it closed during a fall... Probably it’s my main concern now - considering to learn foiling...

xulpix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Mont-tremblant, Quebec, Canada
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15-10-6m
Moses 101, 790 wing
Brand Affiliation: www.Kitexpress.ca

Postby xulpix » Sat May 04, 2019 11:39 am

The gath Gedi is the best helmet so far. The visor on the other ha d is crap! The warp vision that it give you is far far from being acceptable :( I wrote to Gath and never even had an answer about that problem.... so kept the helmet for few years like that till a friend got me buying this:
https://spexusa.com/spexusa/?flpaging=1

No it’s not sexy but I will never kite again witout it! It float, you can change lens, water on the lens is never an issue. Really the best goggle for kiting. Combine with the Gedi( yes it fit taper to the upper part of the contour) it’s a perfect match! Recommended that duo to any one foiling, keep you secure( ears, eyes) and safe!

You can also found them cheap used or be lucky like me and found a brand new one reallllycheap :)

Last edited by xulpix on Sun May 05, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author xulpix for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Sat May 04, 2019 12:54 pm

alx wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 am
elguapo wrote: try using a paintball mask(with helmet).
(seriously)
Hah! Interesting! This one? Can you elaborate? Are you using this particular one? Which helmet do you have? I might consider it especially if I go in more extreme weather.

i've only used and seen used on foiling sailboats(racing)... where it is a good "dodger replacement".
paintball masks are used in rain...are you know...made to protect against high speed liquid projectiles.
/may not be a good option for beginners or folks that will be like to do faceplants on the water)
//i've been content with cheap polar sunglasses and a kayak style helmet...but i may purchase just to test

another option..
Flying Mask Sailing Goggles by Forward WIP.
it is marketed for high speed sailing and kiteboarding....is made for the high speed wash

anyone try using/modifying skiing glasses?
they should prevent fogging and should be made to easily drain water...by making a drain.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

alx
Rare Poster
Gear: foil board, 3-strut kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby alx » Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm

xulpix wrote: Combine with the Gedi( yes it fit taper to the upper part of the contour) it’s a perfect match! Recommended that duo to any one foiling, keep you secure( ears, eyes) and safe!
I think what you're saying is that the strap goes tapered against the upper part of the Gedi helmet, presumably without a need to attach it to anything or clip it. Good to know if that's the case! I couldn't tell from the pictures. If you don't clip it the goggles strap, don't the goggles fall off sometimes?

The other Gath helmet don't have two parts like the Gedi and would probably be more slippery for goggles straps.

elguapo wrote: Flying Mask Sailing Goggles by Forward WIP.
it is marketed for high speed sailing and kiteboarding....is made for the high speed wash

They look better than SPEX AMPHIBIAN EYEWEAR. No idea how they'd work in reality for kiting/foiling though. Any guesses?
elguapo wrote: anyone try using/modifying skiing glasses?
they should prevent fogging and should be made to easily drain water...by making a drain.
I'd be interested in this question too. Plenty of ski goggles on the market. Wouldn't the water damage the fine materials?

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:45 am

I got the Gath Gedi with the full face visor in smoke grey and it works great with no fogging.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 am

I have Gecko surf and Gath gedi. If I was looking for a new helmet I would check what Gecko had before Gath.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 am

Gecko are still going they make helmets for RNLI but I don't know what is in their current range. The gedi I have relies on annular foam inserts for fit and it is a bit of a bucket. I ditched the inserts and wear a neoprene hat under it. I think fit is very important and if it is still the same design you may need to experiment to stop it being a wobbler. My gedi is quite a few years old and so they may have improved the foam inserts by now. If you can try before you buy etc

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 am

Hi used to have a Gath RV. The visor becomes scratched very quickly when it retracts inside the helmet.

Return to “Hydrofoil”