Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Forum for kitesurfers
Xaxpop
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Uppsala
Gear: North EVO 9m2, North Rebel 12m2 - 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby Xaxpop » Sat May 04, 2019 7:48 pm

Hey guys!
I recently bought a used ocean-rodeo flite 17m (2014) and last time i used it i ran into a tricky situation.
The wind died down some and i was having trouble re-launching so i decided to call it quits, pulled the safety (the kite was downwind, on the water, leading edge down) and was planning on it flagging out so that i could pull it in and walk in with the kite myself.
The flite has a two line safety system and what happend was that i released correctly, the bar went away the full distance (atleast quite a bit) but the kite didn't flag out it kept standing up, leading edge down against the water with power (not a lot since the wind was light).

But it was enough wind so that i couldn't pull the bar in on the safety line.
In the end i had to walk in to towards the beach with the kite on the water, standing up, under some power and some guys on the beach could walk out and get it for me.

Have you had similar experiences? What do i do if that happens again?
As it is now i don't really know what to do when the wind dies and i can't relaunch, if i pull safety to pack up and it doesnt flag out i'm in a pretty sucky spot...

Anyhow if you have any tips or tricks on how to handle this or how to head back into the beach if the wind drops without pulling safety i'd appreciate it.

Cheers guys!

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5459
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm

that's how mini 5th systems work. some people like them because relaunch after pulling the QR is easier. They sometimes just keep pulling and never dump power that's the drawback of mini 5th systems. I would just buy a new control bar one with single line flagging if you want a kite to flag out. if the wind dies and the kite quits flying what else are you supposed to do but pull the QR and swim

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby jumptheshark » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 pm

I think bigger kites and lower winds are the worst conditions for double front line mini 5th safety systems. On smaller kites in decent wind they roll over well, but the length of the mini 5th line has to be really long to guarantee a big kite will roll on its back when it’s light. You can re rig your bar to Lengthen the safety line so the bar slides farther. Have to re rig below the split on the front and lengthen the rear leaders. Will still work fine with your smaller kites. Adding 3 m should be enough. Alternatively, being that it generally only happens in light wind, you can usually just pull yourself up to the split, pick one front line and pull a bunch in to flag the kite.

Xaxpop
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Uppsala
Gear: North EVO 9m2, North Rebel 12m2 - 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby Xaxpop » Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 pm

edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm
that's how mini 5th systems work. some people like them because relaunch after pulling the QR is easier. They sometimes just keep pulling and never dump power that's the drawback of mini 5th systems. I would just buy a new control bar one with single line flagging if you want a kite to flag out. if the wind dies and the kite quits flying what else are you supposed to do but pull the QR and swim
Sorry i should probably have said that i'm a beginner :).
I'ts not that important that i flags out i just need to know how to handle it. If the wind dies or i just want to go back in and the kite is on the water. How would i handle it if i dont pull the release?
jumptheshark wrote: I think bigger kites and lower winds are the worst conditions for double front line mini 5th safety systems. On smaller kites in decent wind they roll over well, but the length of the mini 5th line has to be really long to guarantee a big kite will roll on its back when it’s light. You can re rig your bar to Lengthen the safety line so the bar slides farther. Have to re rig below the split on the front and lengthen the rear leaders. Will still work fine with your smaller kites. Adding 3 m should be enough. Alternatively, being that it generally only happens in light wind, you can usually just pull yourself up to the split, pick one front line and pull a bunch in to flag the kite.
Thanks for the answer! Instead of pulling the safety i pull my self up to the split and pull one of the front lines did i understand that correctly? And after that i pull the QR or do i just roll up the bar without pulling the release?

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5459
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby edt » Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 pm

"It's not that important that it flags out." Damn you brave. I don't ride control bars where my first option is climbing up the lines. anyway, if you do climb up the lines generally you want to full release first, pull the QR and pull the leash get completely disconnected from the kite, then climb up the lines. The reason for this is that you never know if the wind might come up again and start nuking and the last thing you want to happen is that kite powers up and you are attached except now you don't have the control bar, so you are along for the ride. If it starts nuking when climbing up the lines and you are not attached you at least have the option of letting go. jump the shark might do it differently.

Xaxpop
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Uppsala
Gear: North EVO 9m2, North Rebel 12m2 - 2015.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby Xaxpop » Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 pm

edt wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 pm
"It's not that important that it flags out." Damn you brave. I don't ride control bars where my first option is climbing up the lines. anyway, if you do climb up the lines generally you want to full release first, pull the QR and pull the leash get completely disconnected from the kite, then climb up the lines. The reason for this is that you never know if the wind might come up again and start nuking and the last thing you want to happen is that kite powers up and you are attached except now you don't have the control bar, so you are along for the ride. If it starts nuking when climbing up the lines and you are not attached you at least have the option of letting go. jump the shark might do it differently.
Thanks for your answer. I of course ment that its not super important that i flags out in the above mentioned scenario if there is another way to bring it in alone. I really hope that if the wind did pick up it would flag out like intended and the result i got is like was said above, not enough wind for it to flag out but enough to keep power.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:18 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Prodigy, 9.5m Prodigy, 12m Prodigy , 12m Flite, 17m Flite. Crazyfly Raptor Pro Neon, Shinnster,
Mako Duke.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby matth » Sun May 05, 2019 12:13 am

Two line flags suck , that's why no one makes them anymore...I would absolutely get a new single line flag bar.

There is a trick to get the kite to roll onto it's back like it is supposed to. You need to get the tension off the center lines momentarily, either swim at the kite quickly or grab the center lines and pull them in a few feet and then release, now the kite should roll over....

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5459
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby edt » Sun May 05, 2019 3:04 am

Xaxpop wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 pm
I really hope that if the wind did pick up it would flag out like intended and the result i got is like was said above, not enough wind for it to flag out but enough to keep power.
sometimes when it's really windy the QR still does the same thing that happened to you! The kite doesn't roll over. That's how the mini-5th works. :-) I mean keep using it if you like it. I never liked the mini-5ths.

Macster
Medium Poster
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby Macster » Sun May 05, 2019 3:12 am

Yeah watch the "how to survive a death loop" video for the concept of grabbing one line to depower the kite when your safety doesnt work. I have had to use this technique twice now and once when I got me and my board wrapped in the lines when hydrofoiling. I thought I was toast until I remembered to pull a steering line...

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 147 times

Re: What do i do if my kite don't flag out after pulling safety on the water?

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 05, 2019 6:22 am

Pulling in a line by hand is risky and I’ve only done it after pulling the quick release and the kite not flagging properly. Even then it’s a light wind, flat water thing only! If I were you, I would re rig the bar to be a single front line safety. However, it would be less expensive and easier to keep it as a mini 5th and just extend the safety line and rear leaders a couple meters. As was mentioned by someone earlier, slacking all the lines by swimming at the kite helps get it to roll onto its back properly. Also mentioned, you can slack the lines by pulling a big yank on the fronts and letting go.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bennis123, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 20 guests

cron