Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Champions Poised to Retain Crowns Despite Intense Pressure at KiteFoil Worlds, Italy Day Four

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Champions Poised to Retain Crowns Despite Intense Pressure at KiteFoil Worlds, Italy Day Four

Postby Toby » Sat May 04, 2019 11:46 pm

IKA News:

ika.jpg

The current men’s and women’s title holders, France’s Nico Parlier and the US’s Daniela Moroz, are sitting in pole position to retain their crowns after a scintillating penultimate day of hydrofoil racing at the 2019 Pascucci Formula Kite Worlds fought out in Italy.

But the pair both stumbled in several races under stiff challenges from ever-faster kitefoil rivals. The slips blotted their previously-perfect records at the world championships being contested on Lago di Garda with its breath-taking mountain backcloth.

In near-perfect foiling conditions, in breezes that built during the afternoon from 6kts to around 11kts, Britain’s returning Olly Bridge picked up a bullet and a second in his day’s four races to leave him second overall.

It was an audacious move that landed him the vital win in his day’s final race. He gybed early on the last downwind leg and surged past Parlier and fellow countryman Connor Bainbridge as they were preoccupied battling one another for the lead.

Yet Bainbridge was still able to hold the third spot overall that he had begun the day with, courtesy of a hard-fought bullet, a second and third placed finishes in what he admitted was fastest and toughest kitefoil fleet ever assembled.

For Moroz, still just 18 and tilting at her fourth successive Formula Kite World title, her day was slightly mixed when she opened with two second placed finishes, losing out to Russia’s Elena Kalinina, 21, in each case.

The former world champion inflicted fatal damage on her US rival when she twice opted for a gutsy port-tack start to give her the advantage of the better pressure and “lift” under the spectacular cliffs on the right side of the track.

In the first instance Kalinina made the bold move stick when she was able to pass ahead of the 30-strong women’s fleet and cruised to victory after two high-octane laps of the trapezoid course.

But the second time she tried the same manoeuvre, she lost the advantage and had to duck behind the fleet at the start line. Still, the advantage on the right side of the course earned her a hundreds-of-metres lead and she was able to hold off Moroz’s relentless pace, winning by a whisker after a drag-race to the line and a photo-finish.

The uncharacteristic defeats lit a fire under Moroz and she translated that anger into two convincing wins in her day’s final two races in the five days of competition at the Campione Univela-hosted Worlds—supported by Regione Lombardia.

After the opening four-race qualifying series that was disrupted by storms off Campione del Garda, the 87 men were seeded in “gold”, “silver” and “bronze” flights, while the women battled in their own separate series.

Parlier carried a slight points advantage in the closing two days’ finals' series, but was all too aware that Bridge and Bainbridge were breathing down down his neck and the slightest slip could cost dearly.

Bainbridge immediately put down a marker with a well-earned win in day four’s opening race and kept up the pressure. But he, too, faltered when he placed 11th in his day’s second race, though he was able to discard the score.

“It was great,” said Bainbridge. “That’s the hardest fleet ever in hydrofoil. It was so tight and I got pushed out to the side in one race and it put me down the order. It just feels faster and everyone is closer than ever. Olly Bridge has been out for four months and come back with a vengeance which is great to see.”

Bridge himself was more circumspect, but pleased with his lightning pace and the move that secured him victory over his closest rivals in the last race.

“Everyone’s doing really well now,” said Bridge. “Before I came here I hadn’t really concentrated or trained, so I didn’t come with any expectations. But I’m still going well, which I’m happy with.”

Kalinina, too, was pleased to have finally stolen a march on Moroz, but was under no illusions that she needed all her experience to outwit her rival’s undoubtedly superior pace.

“Daniela Moroz is just faster than me, so I had to do something, like catch a big wind shift by going to the right of the course,” said Kalinina. “It was fun racing and I’m happy to use some tactics and strategy. That’s when it becomes more challenging. It’s great.”

2019 Formula Kite Worlds top five men after four Final Serries races (two carry forward, one discard)

1 Nico Parlier (FRA) 8.0pts
2 Olly Bridge (GBR) 12.0pts
3 Connor Bainbridge (GBR) 12.0pts
4 Théo de Ramecourt (FRA) 16.0pts
5 Toni Vodisek (SLO) 29.0pts

2019 Formula Kite Worlds top five women after seven races (two discards)

1 Daniela Moroz (USA) 5.0pts
2 Elena Kalinina (RUS) 8.0pts
3 Breiana Whitehead (AUS) 19.0pts
4 Kirstyn O’Brien (USA) 23.0pts
5 Alexia Fancelli (FRA) 23.0pts

Full results: www.formulakite.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Champions Poised to Retain Crowns Despite Intense Pressure at KiteFoil Worlds, Italy Day Four

Postby Toby » Sun May 05, 2019 12:23 am

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Champions Poised to Retain Crowns Despite Intense Pressure at KiteFoil Worlds, Italy Day Four

Postby cglazier » Sun May 05, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for posting Toby.
Looking forward to tomorrows final race.

:wink: CG

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun May 05, 2019 8:19 am

That Conner Bainbridge interview leaves me thinking he is the man.
he is so focused and my money is on him.

looks like the girls ist place is all sorted

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 pm

The IKA Formula thing does not seem to be working to cut costs. Gear costs seem to be going up 30% per year.

For kites, it seems like the top riders just have to get two sets of kites to race in Formula events and open events (e.g. a quiver of Sonic Race for Formula events and a quiver of Sonic VMG for open events).

On the hydrofoil side, everyone scrambles to find the last generation Mikes Lab bullet 3 that sells used for $4500! Meanwhile, I wouldnt be able to compete on my Delta foil that costs half as much.

The really confusing thing was that everyone in this event was riding the R1V3 that just came out even though this was an event for registered equipment from 2 years ago. It seems that oznone originally tried to come out with the R1V3 back in 2017 before the registration deadline, but then changed their mind to develop for a few years. So R1V3 wound up on the list, but the R1V3 you can buy now is totally different than the R1V3 from back then. How does this make any sense???

Return to “Hydrofoil”