Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil Kite - Water Self Rescue

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
vanart
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil Kite - Water Self Rescue

Postby vanart » Sun May 05, 2019 4:01 am

Shot on location in La Ventana:

What do you guys think!?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Foil Kite - Water Self Rescue

Postby jakemoore » Sun May 05, 2019 4:28 am

Nice video. I'm impressed with the stamina of your drone.

I think the stuff sack is a good call. I've done a few swims with the kite rolled up on the board but have to stop from time to time to fix the roll. I've been considering one of these guys: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/ult ... 6127766556. My thought is I could blow some air into the sack so the kite had some flotation.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am

Think?

In taco position upper half of kite was flying meaning there was wind. Why did you not use kite as sail to go faster or with less energy downwind to beach?

By itself foilboard goes at speed downwind with small waves rocking the board. Could you keep sitting on foilboard and keep shifting your weight like Kai Lenny to rock / foil-propulse home? That would be my try in such situation. Which would be less energy, swim kicking or rocking?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 am

joriws wrote: Why did you not use kite as sail to go faster or with less energy downwind to beach?

Purpose of this video is FOIL kite water Self Rescue - with foil kite as soon as you pick up water in kite its game over and you are pulling death whale. Foil kite in water cannot be used as sail same way than LEI because they have air intakes on LE which start to getting water as soon as you move /kite in water as a sail/

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun May 05, 2019 9:55 am

Tomtom, I've been using exclusively foilkites for 10y since Speed3 came to market. I can use them as a sail (or call it downwind wind bag), although I've been forced to do it only once with Sonic1 so not much self rescue experience. Water launch and landing because no beach available is basic task for me.

The purpose of my first answer was to get people to think different technique for their situation instead of automatically rolling kite with swimming and then "complaining" about workout. Just do it and if it doesn't work for you try something else or finally roll the kite.

And like my suggestion pumping the foil board. Try and if it is more convenient for you use it. If it doesn't work then swim.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 05, 2019 10:27 am

My last "Roll & Swim" :wink: session was with a 18m mid:high ratio ; I must say that the phase at 3:55 is tough if you have a lager kite and if some water is inside ... that will stick the kite to the water ...

I failed and had to swim with an unrolled 18m2 with a lot of water ... 30 minutes for 250 m swim ... a nightmare

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun May 05, 2019 11:19 am

okay then, i never managed use foil kite as sail - coming from LEIs it seems impossible to me, Food for thought, thanks for tip. Pumping foil board also nice hint.

Anyway general advice from racing people for me - do it fast, because as soon as there is water in kite - which can go in from any force action with kite that create pressure on air inlets /can be just tensioning lines with LE down/ - chances to pack it nicely is quite thin. Also i think if i can use kite as sail /downwind bag/ there is big chance to restart it in first place.

Death whale swim is one of worst kiting experience and i wish to anyone good wind - in order to skip it :)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote: My last "Roll & Swim" :wink: session was with a 18m mid:high ratio ; I must say that the phase at 3:55 is tough if you have a lager kite and if some water is inside ... that will stick the kite to the water ...

I failed and had to swim with an unrolled 18m2 with a lot of water ... 30 minutes for 250 m swim ... a nightmare
Ozone published a similar video and proposed rolling wingtip to wingtip. I did this on my last swim and it worked well. Air slowly egress from the opposite drain hole.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Sun May 05, 2019 2:56 pm

joriws wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am
In taco position upper half of kite was flying meaning there was wind. Why did you not use kite as sail to go faster or with less energy downwind to beach?
Flying or held open in a loop by air pressure in kite?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun May 05, 2019 4:36 pm

Nice video vanart by the way.
I had requested the pulsion designer to remove the velcro on the wings to improve watertightness and weight (anx jusg have a 2cm permanent opening. Like on my Elf joker and on the Soul. But It is actually a mistake, because I cannot roll the kite from wing tip to wing tip any more like proposed by Jakemoore in this (rare) situation...
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Mon May 06, 2019 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Videos”