mad crash on a foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby downunder » Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm

Awesome of awesomeness of how actually jump with a hf might end up.

Combined with a foil.

Less and less appealing to me unfortunately. In the context of Ruben injuries, this would cut me in half.

Florian been a very lucky guy.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon May 06, 2019 2:28 pm

In contex of this. I have no intention at all to jump with foil but as im riding strapless i want /from time to time/ jump without foil - i mean let foil continue and jump boardless. Question is - is it safe? - im mean how big is chance that i hit foil on landing. where foil usually goes after jump?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon May 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Eh we all have a personal minimum on what’s worth the risk and what isn’t. All of us on here seem the risk to kiteboarding is worth it while there’s others who would deem this sport too dangerous.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm

I do boardless jumps. I’ve never come close to landing on the board.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon May 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Many thanks!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon May 06, 2019 3:57 pm

you will go way farther downwind than your foil when you boost off of it. Usually like 30m.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm

downunder wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm
Awesome of awesomeness of how actually jump with a hf might end up.

Combined with a foil.

Less and less appealing to me unfortunately. In the context of Ruben injuries, this would cut me in half.

Florian been a very lucky guy.
I routinely jump on my foil and consider it pretty safe actually..
from my experience I tend to get in more troubles screwing a gybe than doing a simple jump with grabs or one foot..
I even had an accidental QR on a relatively lofty jump ( ~8meters or maybe a bit more)..
I managed to hang on the bar and kicked off the foil board while in the air -it fell about 10 meters behind me..
I only jump with a relatively big kite 12m or more that gives me a lot of float and hang time.
I only land soft jump.. kickoff the foil if I think I am going too fast, etc...
The biggest scare for me is to get ventilation or hit a fish/plastic bag, while speeding up for a jump.. you usually get ejected in the air with some rotation and w/o the board and if you don't sort it out fast it results in epic wipeouts.. that said,
I actually feel safer boosting on my foil with a 12m kite than going with 7m and TT (20 vs 40 kts is the main factor for me)
These users thanked the author deniska for the post:
Breze (Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:47 pm

I had quite similar ""foil after landing/jumping backstal" situation with Flysurfer Sonic 18m, still not with HF lucky. Also i see that lot of foil (especially flysurfer kites) have such behavior: during apex these foil kite sometimes starting balancing not in proportion and you landing exactly the same as in this video - semi successfuly and kite backstals for 1-2 seconds and then catching wind again and puling your out of water. This behaviour is mostly only happening on foil ! So BE CAREFULL with FOILS after jump. Sometime you even cannot see how kite looks after such landing, as you concentrating on water side, so, you can be astoniched when you will be pulled out of water. I saw this behaviour on Sonics, Souls, Speeds users, even long time users, i would say one of 10-20 jumps usually facing this effect. Even quite pro users of only flysurfer foils having this i named it "Foil Afterland or afterjumps Backstal" which can go further and hurt you.
This phenomena is strange disbalanced swinging during landing which happend that you landing and sinking for second or two, foil lines have not tension in such moments, than after 1-2 seconds foil catch wind, line got tensions and you facing unexpected jump from water, maybe one or two jumps/pulls. So. this exclusively happening somehow only in foils, i didn't saw such phenomena on LEI, or their are very rare. I think it depends of effect that foil has big masse of air inside, and he faces inertia (ESPECIALLY BIG SIZES FOILS), when LEI never has such problem of intertia because don't have inside air. Whats why LEI are more alive and subbmisive for control, especially in landing of jumps.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon May 06, 2019 5:15 pm

IMO it has nothing to do with airmass. Air mass if anything should slow kite down not make it violent. IMO reason is foil ability to HEAVY backstall and LEI inability to do this. LEI cannot be backstalled enough because they are not rigid enough you pull just on tips so rest of profile live its own live where on foil kite you pull on whole length of profile at once via bridle. But this LEI "almost inability" to backstall is for sure advantage and very user friendly behavior.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 am

Should be titled everything that is wrong in kiteboarding 2019.

I dont even want to think about what would happen if you landed on the foil sideways from this.

Return to “Hydrofoil”