For all foil kite riders
mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Re: Peter Lynn Nova

Postby mar menor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:32 pm

fun2kite wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:08 pm
I flew 10M Nova on the beach yesterday for about 5 mins in 12-13 knots of wind.
what line length?

queneseb
Medium Poster
Gear: Peterlynn NOVA
Peterlynn AEROv2
Peterlynn HOOK
Brand Affiliation: Peterlynn
Chubanga
Has thanked: 0

Postby queneseb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Personnaly is recommand to ride it in 15-16m line lenght

Here is the product page just release ! You can order now https://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/peter-lynn-nova

LONG
Rare Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LONG » Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 am

I have a question:
Once the two knot point in green cicle are at the same level, the four knots A,B,C and Z in orange circle have to be in the same line?
By default from Fabric they're not aligned....The kite turn slow and the bar is hard steering.
Attachments
nova A birdle - Copia.jpg

sms-kite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Favorite Beaches: Le semnoz for snowkiting
Style: a l'arrache
Gear: Sup'air Takoon
Brand Affiliation: a lot

Postby sms-kite » Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 pm

LONG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 am
I have a question:
Once the two knot point in green cicle are at the same level, the four knots A,B,C and Z in orange circle have to be in the same line?
By default from Fabric they're not aligned....The kite turn slow and the bar is hard steering.
Hello,

I am not sure it was the green circles. May be check with the line conecting points (where you connect your bar)

BR

Nono

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 pm

LONG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 am
I have a question:
You must be able to know/find out how mixer test is done. Kite manual? Usually it is done by aligning front line/back line attachment points and then checking if A, B, C and D (bridle line rows) align or not. Best is to understand the principle of the test, then you don't have to guess or try to remember.

Nova has more bar pressure than FS kites. It also turns slower, even though it has huge bar (60cm 12m kite). But it is a good kite and design of it is of high quality, it is just a bit different.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon May 06, 2019 7:00 pm

@LONG:
Don't worry for position of green cycled knots it doesn't matter anyway.
1. Just fix the conectionpoints with your foot close to gether,
2. then tension / pull out A and Z point until they are on the same high to use them as reference point / line
3. tension additionally B and C to see how many cm they are shorter or longer
4. If PLs Mixer is not completely missdesigned: use the two knots on the grey C-line to set B and C to the level of A and Z
done

@kitexpert:
Which sizes have you tested?
Would especially be interested in a video of the 4 m² in >30 knts, thanks.

Why does PL uses a video of Philippe Canery for commercial? Thought they have enough own foilkite experienced team rider?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon May 06, 2019 9:19 pm

Only that big one. I had it for some time to get to know it quite well.

Nova is a good kite and it looks good, it is a clean wing. I like how it is designed, it has bridles on every third cell and inner structures according to that. I used quite similar concept very long time ago and it is a proven one, even though bridling every third cell leads to relatively long primary bridle lines (but there is not so many of them). Nova has LE stiffeners.

In general Nova is a balanced design, I can't suggest almost any improvements to it. Perhaps it could have some more canopy curve and to not to have bridle at the wingtips (last cell), but these are more like details and personal preferences.

Nova pulls you smoothly and it goes fast. It is easy kite to your legs because it pulls you forward. Apparently very good kite for long trips. It has at least good boosting ability (I didn't have enough wind to prove but it was promising in low winds), probably it is very good. It has some punchy feel for gusts because it has that performance in it, but I didn't observe anything concerning - when gust comes you just feel it. Kite was stable all the time, but again wind was most of the time so smooth possible issues were hidden. In horrible gusts there might be problems but most kites have.

Turning is not fast but it is not a problem for 12m with a 60cm bar. Just using some force turns it ok, I didn't have to pull from the leaders once. 60cm bar feels a bit clumsy but you get used to it. Bar pressure is nice, for me not too light but not at all heavy. Relaunch is typical: LE down pulling both back lines Nova rises so high up there is easily room to turn. On the ground kite stayed well inflated, I didn't have time/patience to see how long but easily long enough for most situations. Small sizes are of course faster reacting so there should be no doubts for turning speed.

Well done PLK :thumb:

queneseb
Medium Poster
Gear: Peterlynn NOVA
Peterlynn AEROv2
Peterlynn HOOK
Brand Affiliation: Peterlynn
Chubanga

Postby queneseb » Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm

kitexpert wrote: Only that big one. I had it for some time to get to know it quite well.

Nova is a good kite and it looks good, it is a clean wing. I like how it is designed, it has bridles on every third cell and inner structures according to that. I used quite similar concept very long time ago and it is a proven one, even though bridling every third cell leads to relatively long primary bridle lines (but there is not so many of them). Nova has LE stiffeners.

In general Nova is a balanced design, I can't suggest almost any improvements to it. Perhaps it could have some more canopy curve and to not to have bridle at the wingtips (last cell), but these are more like details and personal preferences.

Nova pulls you smoothly and it goes fast. It is easy kite to your legs because it pulls you forward. Apparently very good kite for long trips. It has at least good boosting ability (I didn't have enough wind to prove but it was promising in low winds), probably it is very good. It has some punchy feel for gusts because it has that performance in it, but I didn't observe anything concerning - when gust comes you just feel it. Kite was stable all the time, but again wind was most of the time so smooth possible issues were hidden. In horrible gusts there might be problems but most kites have.

Turning is not fast but it is not a problem for 12m with a 60cm bar. Just using some force turns it ok, I didn't have to pull from the leaders once. 60cm bar feels a bit clumsy but you get used to it. Bar pressure is nice, for me not too light but not at all heavy. Relaunch is typical: LE down pulling both back lines Nova rises so high up there is easily room to turn. On the ground kite stayed well inflated, I didn't have time/patience to see how long but easily long enough for most situations. Small sizes are of course faster reacting so there should be no doubts for turning speed.

Well done PLK :thumb:
Good to hear :heartface: :P

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 am

I've tried the 12m and I own the FS Soul 12m. Back to back it flew more confidently in light wind and could park at 45 degrees when the Soul was back stalling and needed the odd downloop to get back to 45 degrees.

I agree that it's a bit faster, has a little more low end but is slower turning.

Relaunch was a bit harder than the soul when the wind dropped out but maybe that's cause I'm use to the Soul and not this kite.

I'd love to try the 6m Nova. They're grunty and the website says it's good from about 12 knots. I wonder with my surf oreintated foil and some 20m lines if I could get that low end down to 10 knots? Anyone tried it in the smaller sizes?

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sun May 26, 2019 9:51 pm

As its name suggest a new type of foil kite. For me the best foil kite I have tried so far on a foil board. Having used mostly LEI kites on waveboard, twin tip and foil board I will definitely go with the NOVA for foilboarding when the launch area permits. I think it is for me the best kite to train tacks and to have more time on the water due to its huge wind range and to achieve the next skill level faster. I have tried a 10 and 8 sqm NOVA and compared them back to back with my LEI kites. The NOVA once riding on a foilboard is more stable even in gusty conditions in the air compared to my LEI Kites, the bar pressure becomes very comfortable but offers an excellent feedback to what the kite is doing all the time. I couldnt find any blind spot. The NOVA reacts very direct on steering input and I can decide on which turning radius it turns. In the jibes it is easier with the NOVA to get around because after the steering impulse the NOVA flies through the turn almost alone and very smoothly depending on the desired turning radius and doesnt stop turning surprisingly. The steering forces remains light even when the kite is well powered. Jumping with the NOVA is great as well like expected for foil kite the height and float are very nice. I have tried almost every famous foil kite from the other two big brands and for my skill level the NOVA is the best choice. The NOVA flies not like an LEI kite he flies like a foil kite but is very easy to handle and very stable in the air compared to other foil kites. On a foil board he pulls more in the direction of the board and less sideways, the wind window is bigger and it is possible to go more upwind. The correct steering line tension to get the maximum performance out of the kite or to steer the kite through tighter or wider turns is very easy to find. Self-inflating goes fast and once inflated I couldnt observe any tip folding like on race foil kites with a higher aspect ratio during lulls. Playing with the adjuster allows deep downwind angles. The NOVA has a very good low end compared to race foil kites. Comparing with a LEI kite I would say that for the same low end the NOVA could be up to 4 sqm smaller than a LEI kite.
All in all Im very positively surprised that Peter Lynn came up with such an excellent foil kite that exceeds my expectations. Very well done without a big marketing fuss.
:thumb:
Last edited by NEkitesurfing on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”