Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Ruben Lenten - My most painful kiteboarding accident (broke my leg)

Postby windmaker » Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:09 am
Here is a very clear view of what actually happened to Ruben, and it has a voice over from Ruben as well.

Sounds like damage control ....

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Tue May 07, 2019 4:08 pm

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:09 am
Here is a very clear view of what actually happened to Ruben, and it has a voice over from Ruben as well.

When he rigs, and during the first loop, he's not suicide. During the last loop, he is... probably not the same session.

Having watched the FB post with the QR needing quite some movement to open, it does looks like the QR from Ruben activated way too easily. And the powered kite doesn't pull his hand up, though he does hit the QR, but not hard by a mile.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue May 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Lenten uses also big chickenloop which moves QR further from his body, so his hand touched it more easily than if it was closer to his body.

Bungees (or what ever spring there is) of Ozone QR cuff may be too weak. Sad accident for a great athlete who has already had his share of misfortune.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

For wakestyle boots have advantages for sure. The twisted knee with one foot out of the straps on hard landings is less likely to happen. But if a boot gets loose you have the same problem...and it happens quiet often as one thinks. Or at least used to...I guess they improved it.
No not true. A boot will only ever come loose/off AFTER a heavy impact so unlike straps you will never loose one mid jump. However, this doesn’t completely negate injury as you could be dragged after the impact the removes you boot.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 pm

So, checked again Ozone QR materials and as i thought and wrote erlier problem was to big angle/corner in red plastic in down side at the top of Ozone QR. I marked this place in circle on Ozone bar photos, you clearly see and understand that it's simply was made to big, of course its handy for extreme situation, but for megaloops its dangerous and to giant corners around, as you can always brush it via hand. Photos below, and taken from Ozone official video of their bar. I haven't saw any QR bar with bigger corners around. It's made for amateur kites not for pro who thouring megaloops, and this sad case of Ruben prooved it. https://ozonekites.com/products/control ... ol-system/
Attachments
ozone QR 1.jpg
ozone QR 4.jpg
ozone QR 4.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 859 times
ozone QR 3.jpg
in detail, i speaking about this corner
ozone QR 2.jpg
ozone QR 2.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 859 times

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue May 07, 2019 5:06 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:02 pm

People easily forget snowboarders jumping huge jumps and landing them on groomed slope, which is not soft at all.
If you could make sure the water you're landing on is sloped ... you'd be all set. :-?
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Zandman (Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 07, 2019 5:35 pm

prop_joe wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 pm
Toby wrote:

For wakestyle boots have advantages for sure. The twisted knee with one foot out of the straps on hard landings is less likely to happen. But if a boot gets loose you have the same problem...and it happens quiet often as one thinks. Or at least used to...I guess they improved it.
No not true. A boot will only ever come loose/off AFTER a heavy impact so unlike straps you will never loose one mid jump. However, this doesn’t completely negate injury as you could be dragged after the impact the removes you boot.

did I say before? Sure, you impact, it gets loose, and then the board can rotate around your fixed knee. Same happened when straps were used. Ask Kevin L. in Fuerte: Landed hard on a little chop, one foot got loose, then board twisted around knee of foot in strap.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue May 07, 2019 5:39 pm

a99: I agree, this caused it.
But what if you don't have it and are in a panic situation? You might slip along the QR and can't activate it? This little edge helps!

I think this should be tested...if a QR without an edge is better and you won't slip along it without activating it??

Maybe there is a QR without edge already? I don't have all in mind.

Anyone?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

My F-one QR is slightly less chunky but has a very similar edge - as Toby says without it if you’re maybe a bit cold and don’t grip it properly it ain’t gonna fire. Also the newer video from Ruben looks pretty clear that he jammed hard into the QR and it didn't, so far as I can see, function in any way other than it should.

prop_joe
Frequent Poster
Gear: twin tips

Postby prop_joe » Tue May 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:35 pm
prop_joe wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:45 pm
Toby wrote:

did I say before? Sure, you impact, it gets loose, and then the board can rotate around your fixed knee. Same happened when straps were used. Ask Kevin L. in Fuerte: Landed hard on a little chop, one foot got loose, then board twisted around knee of foot in strap.
My mistake, I misunderstood your initial point.

Return to “Videos”