Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

mad crash on a foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5385
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix rpm ozone
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby edt » Tue May 07, 2019 1:00 am

What happened in this case is the foil spin around the Z axis and the mast got trapped inside the lines. The line isn't actually wrapped all the way around the mast it is stretched around half of it, so of course it makes the kite loop. If you notice it in time you can grab the opposite side leader and haul it in, that will make the kite backstall and hit the water. The key to not getting hurt by your foil I'm convinced is just know where it is at all time. Foils are huge, so if you can spot it, it's not too hard to dodge it and move your head out of the way of the wing so you don't get stabbed. There's a lot of ways for lines to get trapped around the mast.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby cwood » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 am
Should be titled everything that is wrong in kiteboarding 2019.

I dont even want to think about what would happen if you landed on the foil sideways from this.
One man's meat is another man's poison

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1833
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby downunder » Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 am

deniska wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm
downunder wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm
Awesome of awesomeness of how actually jump with a hf might end up.

Combined with a foil.

Less and less appealing to me unfortunately. In the context of Ruben injuries, this would cut me in half.

Florian been a very lucky guy.
I routinely jump on my foil and consider it pretty safe actually..
from my experience I tend to get in more troubles screwing a gybe than doing a simple jump with grabs or one foot..
I even had an accidental QR on a relatively lofty jump ( ~8meters or maybe a bit more)..
I managed to hang on the bar and kicked off the foil board while in the air -it fell about 10 meters behind me..
I only jump with a relatively big kite 12m or more that gives me a lot of float and hang time.
I only land soft jump.. kickoff the foil if I think I am going too fast, etc...
The biggest scare for me is to get ventilation or hit a fish/plastic bag, while speeding up for a jump.. you usually get ejected in the air with some rotation and w/o the board and if you don't sort it out fast it results in epic wipeouts.. that said,
I actually feel safer boosting on my foil with a 12m kite than going with 7m and TT (20 vs 40 kts is the main factor for me)
Sure, but that in bold is not the right comparison. The proper one would be boosting on 12m with a TT and HF on 20kn. Which one is more safe than?

drsurf
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever i sell
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby drsurf » Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am

Dear downunder. You may not have seen a kite much but it comes with big SAFETY warnings to let you know there is danger. Ditto for foils. Now this is a forum on hydrofoils... Are you understanding where i'm going?
Yes there is danger!!!! :o I have actually broken my neck to involuntarily demonstrate this :-?
Perhaps this https://www.vanraam.com/en-gb/our-bikes ... for-adults tricycle site would be more to your liking. Very safe if used away from danger and one of the models has that faux easy rider style too! Awesome fun!!

Have more fun with a bit of risk to spice things up a little, Dave
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
cor (Tue May 07, 2019 1:57 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6151
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 am
Should be titled everything that is wrong in kiteboarding 2019.

I dont even want to think about what would happen if you landed on the foil sideways from this.
Jesus wah wah wah. You sound like a 2-year-old who needs a bottle and a good nap.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post (total 2):
longwhitecloud (Tue May 07, 2019 1:58 pm) • alowishus (Tue May 07, 2019 2:30 pm)
Rating: 20%

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1833
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby downunder » Tue May 07, 2019 2:38 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:24 am
Dear downunder. You may not have seen a kite much but it comes with big SAFETY warnings to let you know there is danger. Ditto for foils. Now this is a forum on hydrofoils... Are you understanding where i'm going?
Yes there is danger!!!! :o I have actually broken my neck to involuntarily demonstrate this :-?
Perhaps this https://www.vanraam.com/en-gb/our-bikes ... for-adults tricycle site would be more to your liking. Very safe if used away from danger and one of the models has that faux easy rider style too! Awesome fun!!

Have more fun with a bit of risk to spice things up a little, Dave
Dear Dave,


I am (was) in the top 15 jumpers in Australia by the Woo.

Got more badges from Woo that I can remember off. Now, about your achievements, where are they? fun? Let me know whan u land your first 720.

Use a foe list if u don't like me posts. I use it on some people, it does work. The SB does not have this, it should. Talk with Laurie, he might help.

Not enough wind in NSW? Did u say 150days/year? Feeling bored?

User avatar
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:40 pm
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby deniska » Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 am

Sure, but that in bold is not the right comparison. The proper one would be boosting on 12m with a TT and HF on 20kn. Which one is more safe than?
Honestly, for me it's about the same.. I usually do both on the same session.. Foil requires a bit more concentration cause you get more speed and height in same wind...
I have been foiling for about 2 years. Got a couple of scratches and bruises, twisted an ankle a couple of times.. so far nothing that would require a hospital visit or keep me from kiting for more than a couple of days really..
I am just curious how many people got stubbed, hit or cut badly while foiling? I know there has been a couple of cases (some with surf foils so to me they are not exactly the same group)
Even the guy on the video.. from what I remember he did not have any injury that would require a hospital visit or any downtime... and that's a 50-60ft jump..
Compare that to Lewis's ordeal - they guy spent a few weeks in coma (well medically induced but still) after screwing his megaloop...
go figure..

alowishus
Rare Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm
Kiting since: 14
Gear: ozone airush slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby alowishus » Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 am

deniska wrote:
downunder wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 am

Sure, but that in bold is not the right comparison. The proper one would be boosting on 12m with a TT and HF on 20kn. Which one is more safe than?
Honestly, for me it's about the same.. I usually do both on the same session.. Foil requires a bit more concentration cause you get more speed and height in same wind...
I have been foiling for about 2 years. Got a couple of scratches and bruises, twisted an ankle a couple of times.. so far nothing that would require a hospital visit or keep me from kiting for more than a couple of days really..
I am just curious how many people got stubbed, hit or cut badly while foiling? I know there has been a couple of cases (some with surf foils so to me they are not exactly the same group)
Even the guy on the video.. from what I remember he did not have any injury that would require a hospital visit or any downtime... and that's a 50-60ft jump..
Compare that to Lewis's ordeal - they guy spent a few weeks in coma (well medically induced but still) after screwing his megaloop...
go figure..
More injuries foiling, but not massively. I don't jump on my foil though. Mostly dinged shins.
Weirdly found my chin meeting the side of foil the other day, during an awkward fall in a gust trying to switch feet.
Due to the pretty heavy impact I was expecting blood and maybe even stitches, but all good, just a small bump.
Slingshot has nice bent wingtips. Nice work Slingshot guys :D This missus didn't even notice :thumb:

User avatar
mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 pm
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby mr_daruman » Wed May 08, 2019 6:35 am

Jumping with a kitefoil overpowered with a ram kite just looks goofy. Glad he wasn't decapitated.
Only injury I ever had with a foil was while just walking back to the beach...while in the water, hit the mast, lost my footing and my hand hit the back wing...6 stitches...
kega2.jpg

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6151
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: mad crash on a foil

Postby Kamikuza » Wed May 08, 2019 2:01 pm

alowishus wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:57 am
More injuries foiling, but not massively. I don't jump on my foil though. Mostly dinged shins.
Weirdly found my chin meeting the side of foil the other day, during an awkward fall in a gust trying to switch feet.
Due to the pretty heavy impact I was expecting blood and maybe even stitches, but all good, just a small bump.
Slingshot has nice bent wingtips. Nice work Slingshot guys :D This missus didn't even notice :thumb:
Less injuries foiling, for me. Cut head, cut toes, but aside from the body slams, far less pulled muscles and tweaked joints.

Hurt myself way more skating or cycling, both in frequency and levels of cripple ... ness.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron