Forum for kitesurfers
lucaaaa
Rare Poster
Gear: duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: equipment for beginners

Postby lucaaaa » Fri May 10, 2019 10:56 am

Thank you so much. Last thing would you recommend two different sizes or just one? Kitesurf is gonna drain my bank account ahah

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Fri May 10, 2019 11:05 am

lucaaaa wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:26 am
thanks to everyone, my biggest issue with purchasing 2nd hand kite is that there are very few sellers in my area (northern italy) so checking the quality is a major problem. One last question: what are the differences between duotone dice and evo? I'm still unsure about the style I want to pursue but I'd focus on something which is decent in both freeride and freestyle.
Weight is around 65 and because I'm not gonna practice in a pre-established spot I think it's a good idea to buy 2 kites depending on the area. What are the generally recommended sizes in most spots?
I am from north Italy as well,at 75 kg with a 12 and a 9 I cover most of the situation,need a 6m for that day when the Bora wind blow like crazy and maybe a 15-17 for light wind day.I may suggest you to check Adessokite.com,bought many time never had a problem,you can find used and new material as well as many offer from online retailer,you can get last year material with up to 50% discount.Ciao.
These users thanked the author Goavegas for the post:
lucaaaa (Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lucaaaa
Rare Poster
Gear: duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby lucaaaa » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

Dai grazie ancora
Ciao e buon vento

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am

lucaaaa wrote:
thanks to everyone, my biggest issue with purchasing 2nd hand kite is that there are very few sellers in my area (northern italy) so checking the quality is a major problem.
Doesn't have to be second hand, it can be just an older model year kite.
For example check https://www.you-love-it.eu/shop/en/kite ... s/?p=1&o=3
they have older models for pretty good prices.
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
lucaaaa (Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm

HALF wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am
lucaaaa wrote:
thanks to everyone, my biggest issue with purchasing 2nd hand kite is that there are very few sellers in my area (northern italy) so checking the quality is a major problem.
Doesn't have to be second hand, it can be just an older model year kite.
For example check https://www.you-love-it.eu/shop/en/kite ... s/?p=1&o=3
they have older models for pretty good prices.
Please do not recommend them!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2395744

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm

lucaaaa wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm
Hi guys. I hope i'm asking in the right place. I'd like to purchase equipment, i have 3 questions:1)I saw on some sites a lot of sets(board,kite, strap and bar) which come with a discout. I saw that duotone set is the most expensive is it worth to take over other options? Is the price proportional to its quality? If not which other brand is recommended? Is it economicallybetter to purchase a set? 2)There isn't a spot near my area and i'd like two kites with a lenght of 9 and 12m Is the size ok in general? 3)I'm a beginner but i'm very passionate about the sport and i'd like to focus on freestyle as soon as i will become better at freeride. Is the freestyle kite so different from the freeride and easy to relaunch one? Same thing with the board. Cause i don't want to spend money for a freeride kite(ex duotone evo) and in some months change it to one more suitable for jumps(ex duotone dice). Thanks for the attention. :)
I'm sorry in advance if this seems rude;

I have to laugh every time I hear a new kiter say they want to boost to the moon or master a mobe 5. There are so many fundamental skills that need to be finely tuned before you can get to those skills. New riders forget all about the bigger picture and skip straight to going pro. Perhaps try focusing on the following;
A) Being safe - know your gear, know your beach, know the weather...Emphasis on THE WEATHER.. New kiters think the wind is like a tank of gas, just go and ride until it stops
B) Riding fundamentals - your ability to ride upwind has nothing to do with inexperience. You will encounter countless scenarios that will break your mind on how to proceed safely. Learn every riding stance in different wind strengths before "going pro"
C) Money - Not all kiters have money. "Breaking the bank" is never a good idea for any sport or investment. That said, if you can't afford the proper gear, buying "cheaper" gear may set your progress back, or even your safety. As they say with new motorcycle riders, buy the BEST gear you can AFFORD. The concept being, don't buy 3 really old kites that might hurt you, buy 1 newer kite and progress into this hobby (lifestyle) in a reasonable fashion - Much like we all have...

TLDR: Don't think one kite over another is going to get you from zero to hero. Start at the beginning and progress as fast as your time, body and money will let you. I've been riding for almost 9 years; I still ride some of the original gear I bought back when I was new. The gear is only as good as your skills and experience, believe me.

Good luck, have fun.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Something else, second hand kites may be a bad idea depending on luck, however boards are always a good idea to get second hand, if the straps are deteriorating, you can put new ones. So it is better to get the board separately instead of a package deal.

Return to “Kitesurfing”