Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

FAV certificate needed in Spain?

Postby Toby » Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 am

I just read this in another topic...that kite instructors need this if they want to teach in Spain.

Anyone has it?

Tell us more about this pls

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Re: FAV certificate needed in Spain?

Postby Barryg101 » Sat May 11, 2019 1:07 am

I've talked to a lot about this in Tarifa and it's very double sided. Lots of guys say it's a money making scheme and that the FAV people have hardly any knowledge of kiting or even IKO or VDWS certification. From the guys that have done the FAV many say the waiting list is months long and only available in Spanish.

With such a huge demand for instructors in Tarifa I reckon less than half of all instructors have it but there is talk of stricter enforcing of the FAV .

I got plenty of job offers even though I dont have FAV certification for Tarifa but after some consideration I just went and taught elsewhere, I know some instructors are avoiding Tarifa because of this new rule which is leaving some schools understaffed.

This is what I've gathered from my few months in Tarifa but its mostly from talking to Instructors and school owners , any updated info is welcome and greatly appreciated

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat May 11, 2019 1:51 am

I remember some discussion a while ago about local instructors/schools unhappy with so many foreign schools/instructors teaching on “their” local beach (mainly Tarifa).
And this was an idea to keep it local.

Guess they made it happen.

Is teaching allowed in France without the French certification? I assume not?

So would be the same.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 am

A friend is doing it now, yeah courses and exams in spanish, they were allowed to teach last year without the certificate because many people didn't have it and schools were complaining, however this year they may be enforcing it. The course costs around 700 euros and it takes around a month to finish. Lots of theory, not a lot of practical skills(according to my friend).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am

Who runs it?
The Spanish Kitesurf Association?

HALF
Frequent Poster
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2

Postby HALF » Sat May 11, 2019 10:39 am

No the Federacion de Vela, there are many local ones, FAV is in Andalucia. It falls under their sailing sports, not a specific kitesurfing one.
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
Toby (Sat May 11, 2019 10:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wazzaah » Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am

I very much doubt it's legal due to EU rules. Every business owner should be allowed to set up a business in a EU country if the local rules allow such a business.
If you would get fined you can take it up to court and then all the way to the Justice Court in Brussels, but would a kitesurf instructor do that and have the time and money for it?

From what I've heard is that the FAV is only in Spanish (should be in other languages too) and only for Spanish residents (not legal).

HALF
Frequent Poster

Postby HALF » Sun May 12, 2019 12:06 pm

You can set up a business no problem, however you need certified people working for that business. Try to become a doctor in a foreign country without re-certifying yourself.

Even to drive a car (if you live longer than year in a country) they force you to change your driving license for a local one.

wazzaah
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Terschelling
Style: Wave
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurfschool Terschelling, Kitestart.nl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby wazzaah » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

It's not like we are doctor's ... and in the EU your driver's license is valid in (almost) all countries even you move there. Changing it should be just some paperwork.

It's very technical legal stuff, but the way they do it in Tarifa (and other Southern Europian beaches) seems hardly legit.
If they want to favour local schools they can set up a permit system in Tarifa which should be open to all, but may be limited in permits if done correctly.

HALF
Frequent Poster

Postby HALF » Sun May 12, 2019 12:33 pm

So you are saying its not like you are responsible for someones life?
The driving license is valid and yet they force you to exchange it for a local one after a year. Changing it is just some paperwork, but this is because all of EU have the same driving laws which are agreed on beforehand. Tell me which government of which country issued the IKO(for example) certification so it can be validated in another country?

It is not perfect (for example having the classes only in spanish), however they cannot have the sport unregulated, and the current system doesn't seem too bad, you pay the fee, have classes and get your license in one month.

Also the law is not new, it has been like this for the last 15 years according to an instructor i spoke with, only now they started to enforce it.
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
windmaker (Sun May 12, 2019 7:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”